February 2014 Moms
Options

Forgetting baby in car (warning-loss mentioned in link inside post)

WARNING--this discusses child loss. I'm sharing this because we haven't discussed it yet but this is an upsetting topic.

Every year, far too many children die in cars after being forgotten by their parents. Usually when it happens, it's a media blitz and the most common thing I hear is "what kind of parent could forget a child?".

That thought--the idea that only bad parents forget that it could NEVER happen to you-- is why I'm sharing the link.

I warn you... This article haunts me. I read it when pregnant with DS and some phrases have never left me. It does contain graphic descriptions and heartbreaking stories. It answers the question of how this happens, how good parents leave their children behind.

Do not read this article if you're at work or somewhere you cannot cry.

https://www.pulitzer.org/works/2010-Feature-Writing

image image

Re: Forgetting baby in car (warning-loss mentioned in link inside post)

• Options
    I am going to skip the link, but this is one of my biggest fears nd it bothers me because H is one of those "Ill never forget my kids" kind of people.

It scares me so much. Unintentional child death does make anyone a bad parent.

I try to keep my pocket book in the back so I have extra reason to look back when leaving y vehicle.

*BFP m/c  *BFP b/g twins *S/B 20w  *BFP DS A  1-12-12  *BFP m/c  *BFP m/c  *BFP *It's a boy again* EDD 2-5-14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    @mamacrunch‌

Maybe have him read this? I shared it with everyone who drives my kids.

image image
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @rondackhiker -- slight t/j...and small world - I've actually corresponded with the author of this story a few times, about this article and a different topic. He's a cool dude. About this article, he said it was "the best and worst thing he has ever written."

Very scary topic, but I think it's a good reminder for all of us. I'm also skipping the link because at work, but I remember it being incredibly moving.

• Options
    Thank you for sharing.  This topic is definitely misunderstood and it really brings light to how it could happen to any parent.
  • Options
    I'm at a loss for words. Just wow. The ending was so sweet. It's so easy to say you'd never forget your baby, but it could happen to anyone.
    Our baby boy passed to SIDS on 12/6/12http://oi59.tinypic.com/2vaebew.jpg
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    A gift from Heaven...Our Little RAINBOW arrived 1/31/14!

• Options
    I skipped the link b/c I've read similar before and it haunts me. I can totally see how it happens- particularly when deviating from your normal routine when your brain is in autopilot. But it still scares the crap out of me. I did send one link/video to DH with our first child and he told me it made him physically ill to read/watch it. But he also understands now and he's patient enough with me not to get annoyed when I call/text to make sure he dropped off the kids at daycare. For all the FTMs, this is a critical conversation to have with dad or any other caregivers. Also, for those who have older children in daycare who ride the bus for outings... Ask what their procedures are for checking that all kids are off the bus. We've had a couple deaths in GA where a LO fell asleep after a field trip and no one noticed they didn't exit the bus.

• Options

I try to keep my pocket book in the back so I have extra reason to look back when leaving y vehicle.

This is good advice!
    It is! So smart.

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    This is a good reminder. This was one of my biggest fears when DH started doing drop offs this year. It really can happen to anyone.
    DD1 - Evelyn Riley - 9/30/11
    DD2 - Charlotte Avery - 1/27/14

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"