Working Moms

Already want to quit new job..

So I finally landed my 6 figure career 2 months ago. But I miss my 14 month old LO so bad I just want to quit. If I do, I'll prolly never have a chance at it again. It requires quite a bit of overtime which breaks my heart. My last job was part time and flexible and we didn't need a sitter. I was happy. But it was a job that doesn't have long term security and didn't pay much. We can afford the old way, but husband wants more money. I cry a lot. Does it get better cause it seems like it's getting worse..what would u do?.

Re: Already want to quit new job..

• Yes, it gets easier. You will have hard days, but overall, it will get easier. Completely agree with PP. Also keep in mind that unless you were planning to home-school, in a very short period of time, your LO will be gone all day anyway. Wouldn't you rather be able to afford great enrichment activities and teach your child that women can be strong, independent earners? And ensure that in 30 years, LO isn't having to support you because you have less or no retirement savings?
  • Loading the player...
  • You are going through A big transition and it is normal for that to feel stressful. The other PPs have already given you good advice - instead of thinking about what this new job has taken away from you try to focus on what it has given you in terms of opportunities for you, your family and your future. Also use that extra income to outsource where you can to free up some of your non-working hours.

Finally, even if this job is not exactly right for you, I would say stick it out at this job at least long enough to use it to get the job you ultimately want. So maybe you can find something between the PT job that did not pay much and the 6-figure job that requires tons of hours. And remember it is normal for new jobs to require more hours at first while you are getting up to speed. It may level out after a while.

• SunAndRain said what I want to say, but much more eloquently.

Also, I am a very big believer in taking care of oneself and one's career.  We can't get this time back, and opportunities can be few and far between - make the best of the chances you're given!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Congratulations on having such a lucrative career.   It is really hard being a working mom but the previous ladies have given great words of wisdom - you're a role model to LO, you'll still have your career once school is full time, you'll have retirement savings, can afford to provide well for your family, etc.   I feel like you many days, wanting to walk away, but I know it's not realistic or best for my family.  Hang in there, it will get easier and hopefully once you're not so new your workload will lighten a little.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I so could've written this same post.  Well, except for the six figure thing, haha.  Anyways, I had a very similar situation in that I had a PT, very flexible job and decided to leave for many of the same reasons you did.  And man, it has been sooo hard!  I still have hard days and weeks.  Many times I have fantasized about just walking out, but I just try to focus on all the positives like PP's listed above.  There are so many reasons why this job is great for me and our family right now.  And it doesn't have to be forever.  If I decide that in a year or so that I still don't like it, I can come up with a different plan.  If I ever really decide to quit my job, I want to do it with a clear head so that I can do what is the best for my family's future, not what is good for this moment.  So today I'm going to focus and make the most of this opportunity.  It really has gotten easier the longer I've been here and gotten over some of the initial adapting.  Good luck, mama!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"