Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Frequent wake ups

My daughter will be 7 weeks on Sunday. She wakes up frequently from a dead sleep crying. She's not hungry because she won't eat when I feed her unless it's been 3 hours. Her pedi put her on medicine for reflux and that seems to help her other symptoms, but she is still waking up every 30 min to 1 hr every night. I let her fuss for a few minutes before I get her, but I won't let her cry. I think she is still too young. The way she acts makes me think she's having gas pains. We try the drops but they don't seem to make a huge difference. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Re: Frequent wake ups

• Options
    Is she swaddled? If not, could she be flailing at the end of the sleep cycle and upsetting herself?

How does she sleep during the day?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• Options
    I do swaddle her, otherwise she would only sleep for 5/10 minutes. I thought it could be her transitioning between sleep cycles, but she cries like she is in pain and she squirms in the swaddle blanket. It seems like something is bothering her. I feel like at almost 7 weeks, she should be able to sleep for a couple hour stretch at least 1 time during the night. I just started experimenting with her napping in her bassinet during the day. Earlier she only lasted 30 minutes before waking up with the same cry. Between then and now she had a big bowel movement and passed some gas. So far, she's been sleeping for 30 minutes. I'm not sure how long it will last!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've read that babies who sleep in a wrap (baby wearing- like a moby wrap) sleep better at night. My lo is 7 weeks old and she sleeps great in a moby. I am able to get tons of things done because it's hands free. she will sleep up to 3 hours in the wrap. I have to be careful she isn't wearing too much clothing or she gets hot. I go shopping in the moby or clean the house. It's awesome. I'm not sure if it contributes to her sleeping better at night but I get at least one 3-5 hr stretch a night. Sometimes she starts frequent waking around 4am and will do that until she gets up for the day at 7. However, most nights she sleeps well and just gets up to eat or when she has a dirty diaper. Might be worth a shot!
  • Options
    my son is 3 weeks old and he's been sleeping fine the first 2 weeks but now he wakes up every 30 minutes and fusses alot,he drinks but not alot and got a bad case of heat rash also...what to do..?
  • Options
    I've read that babies go through a growth spurt around 8 weeks and can get really fussy. My little guy did and would wake just like you've explained. I tried gas drops and gripe water and nothing seemed to help. I would just comfort him and hold him until he feel asleep again. At times it seemed the only place he would sleep was on me, so against all my saying I would NEVER do it, I put him in bed with me. I did it for the sake of sleep for both of us. and within a week (give or take) he was fine. 

That seemed like FOREVER ago, my little guy is now 3 months and doing great. It can be super frustrating when you can't figure out what is wrong. I'd go through all the motions, hungry, diaper, gas drops, switch holding position, and when all else failed i would patiently pat or rock him to sleep on my chest or have my hubby do the same. 

Hang in there! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"