December 2012 Moms
Options

NBR contemplating selling

Pure Romance. I almost did about 10 years ago, but I didn't think I'd be brave enough. Now though, as a thirty-something I'm more or less in the "everybody does it, might as well make it fun" boat. I have no problem doing sales, talking about sex, educating women about their bodies, and talking to a group if people. I can't just do it randomly though, I have to hype myself up because I don't have much self confidence.
I miss being around others, I like to visit with people, but I'm also afraid to leap out of my newish comfort zone. When I was doing hair I had that personna down to a T, I'm afraid I've lost it and I don't want to lose it.
I'd also feel like I was contributing to our lives more and I could finally start a fund for the kids. It's actually a really booming business around here, the people I know are booked up for months. So I'm not worried about not getting business.
There is a startup fee, but I think in a month we could pay it no problem, after DH gets settled into his new job and I do a few home repairs.
What do December moms think?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

imageimageimage

Re: NBR contemplating selling

• Options
    Honestly, all of that direct sales crap is just a great way to piss off your friends and get your FB feed hidden. You'll probably put more money into it than you make as well. I know very few people that truly enjoy going to parties where they are expected to buy stuff and sit through sales pitches.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Do you know a lot of people that would come to parties? I don't know a ton of people that would come to that sort of thing and I would feel bad inviting the same people again.

If you are looking to make some extra money could you start doing hair again part time? Would you make more money doing that?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerAnniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I think you should do it if you're looking for something fun to do and as a way to socialize but like others said, I wouldn't rely on it for the money. I think that can be difficult unless you're really in the right area for it. Then again, I went a women's show at a convention center where I was selling my painted wine glasses/coffee mugs and there was a pure romance booth there. (I think this could also work at wedding shows where some might be interested in booking for a bachelorette party) I don't know how they did but I guess that is one way to branch out. Also, I don't promote my etsy shop on my fb because I don't want to spam my friends so you really want to find different ways to network to do parties. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    If I went back to doing hair I'd have to put tons if money into it, at least 300+. I don't have the tools, or clothes, plus I'd most likely have to rent a chair. So until I can do it nearly full time, it isn't worth it.

As far as people coming, yes I do know people that would come. It's also a big thing to do for bachelorette parties around here. Home parties are also pretty popular around here. I know someone from almost every company.

Hmm

imageimageimage
  • Options
    @Jackiemxoxo‌ oh I wouldn't put it on FB much. I have some relatives that would die from embarrassment if I did that! I can just see my elderly relatives getting all flustered =)

What is your etsy shop?

imageimageimage
  • Options
    Litgirl77Litgirl77 member
    edited March 2014

I am technically a consultant for two companies/types of direct sales. I pretty much just did it for the discounts because I like the products and you get a good discount as a consultant. I randomly do parties, but not that often because (like you said) I don' t want to piss off my friends/family and monopolize their FB feeds. 

I say, if you like the products, go for it. I've found that because I naturally like and regularly use the stuff I "sell," I bring it into conversations more naturally and things kind of flow from there. Just make sure to research what their req's are for maintaining your consultant status. Some companies require a certain amount of sales monthly/yearly and you don't want to be committed to buying products yourself if you don't make those numbers. The trick with these things too is to get people signed up under you - I hate putting pressure on people, so I stink at that. 

I don't make any money. I pretty much just fund "my habit" for cooking spices and essential oils which is ok with me. :) 

Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    JackiemxoxoJackiemxoxo member
    edited March 2014

this is my etsy shop, it's called thewinelife. I started it January when I was spending more time at home with dd. I love it cause it is something I love doing and something fun to do on the side. I also try and do local craft shows at different high schools when I have time. I think they're a lot of fun and a good way to socialize as well. I have been slammed with work/school so I haven't been promoting it as much lately but if I stayed home again full time, I would put more into it. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    How about selling Avon? You could sell online only if got wanted, the only time you'd need to buy into Avon it's of got decided to host a party. Also you wouldn't need to sell on your fb feed, but you could set up a fb page for your Avon website.
  • Options

How about selling Avon? You could sell online only if got wanted, the only time you'd need to buy into Avon it's of got decided to host a party. Also you wouldn't need to sell on your fb feed, but you could set up a fb page for your Avon website.

I don't know anyone that uses avon. :/ I can only use their lip products and their gift items, I have terribly sensitive skin and avon and Mary Kay make me breakout in hives. But that is a good alternative with the website.

imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"