Cloth Diapering
Options

Leaking-help needed

A friend gave me a huge stack of inserts but for the life of me I can't get them to absorb! I have tried stripping them with dawn and I've tried boiling them. What else can I try?

TIA

Re: Leaking-help needed

• Options
    What are they made of? Do they smell? Also, put down the blue dawn.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    They don't smell. I'm not really sure what they're made of but here is a picture.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I know dawn is controversial...what do you use instead?
  • Options
    How are you judging their absorbency? Are you actually putting them in a diaper on your child or pouring water in them?
    imageimageimage
    imageimage
    Suddenly my life doesn't seem such a waste,
    It all revolves around you.
  • Options
    Looks like microfiber which I thought wasn't recommended to boil them. Usually I would just use hot washes to strip if there was any extra detergent left behind.

How do you know they aren't absorbing?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimage

• Options
    Especially if there are snaps don't boil. If the problem is detergent build up, using soap will make it worse, not better. I'd try hot water washes and see of there are bubbles.
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    After having several leaking diapers in a row I poured a little water on one and it immediately balled up and rolled right off!!

I did not know I wasn't supposed to boil snaps!! Thanks for the heads up.

Also, I thought I read somewhere you shouldn't put microfiber directly on a baby's skin. Do I need another layer on top of these?
  • Options
    Those are designed to go inside a pocket, not against baby's skin. I wouldn't even be comfortable with another layer bc it could shift.
    Inserts are designed to require compression to work, water will bead up and roll off of any insert.
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    TJ1979 said:

Those are designed to go inside a pocket, not against baby's skin. I wouldn't even be comfortable with another layer bc it could shift.
    Inserts are designed to require compression to work, water will bead up and roll off of any insert.

Ok, well all I have are Thirsties and grovias so I guess I won't even waste my time with these.

• Options
    Yeah, I''d say you're better off without these. The only way to make them work would be to make a sleeve for them (out of fleece or cotton) and using that in your covers. Definitely don't out the MF against your LO's bum. Also, if you've been using natural fibers, and now you're trying to use just one MF, the leaks could be caused simply due to not enough absorbency. Natural fabrics work way better for us I that sense. The only time I use MF is to pair it with something like hemp that's slower to absorb so I can get the speed of MF and the containment of hemp ;)
    London Eye 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersimage

• Options
    I'm guessing the issue with your test, like pp said, is there's no compression and microfiber needs compression to work.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"