Breastfeeding
Options

Thrush?

I'm trying to figure out if I may have thrush...A few weeks ago I had what I thought was random pain in my left nipple while feeding DD.  It lasted for a couple days and it killed every time she fed from the left side.  I didn't see anything on the nipple really and it wasn't a clogged duct (had those before, know what that feels like).  Then last week I had the same shooting pain in the right nipple.  Lasted a bit longer, maybe 3-4 days.  This time I noticed maybe a small white dot and also a small crack.  Now the pain is back to my left nipple!  Again, a small crack and maybe a white mark.  It only hurts when she's nursing, especially when she's first latching on and kind of pulling her head back.  I've had no other issues with BF up to this point and I don't feel like her latch has changed.  She hasn't gotten any new teeth lately and she's eating normally.  I suspect thrush because DD has been on 3 rounds of antibiotics in the past 8 weeks for ear infections.  She doesn't have any white spots in her mouth or any diaper rash really.  Could it be thrush or something else??  I really wanted to make it to a year, but I am in tears while nursing.  
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Thrush?

• Options
    I had thrush from antibiotics and your symptoms do sound familiar. DD never showed any symptoms but I felt like there was glass going through my nipples every time she ate. My nipples were also kind of shiney. I would see your OB about it and get some anti fungal meds. I hate to tell you, it's a total pain in the neck to get rid of but people do. Best of luck!
  • Options
    yeah, the shooting pains and cracking sounds like thrush (it breaks down the skin on the nipple). that was what I experienced when I had it. I would see your care provider- they can put you on oral antifungal medication.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    The shooting pain does make it sound like thrush. I had it twice a few months apart. I never had any evidence on my nipples and DS never had any symptoms in his mouth or any signs of pain. My nipples were super sore when he first latched, then the pain would ease. But the shooting pain would come and go after we finished nursing. 
    Ask your OB for an anti fungal. I took Diflucan for a couple of weeks. Also ask for APNO (all purpose nipple ointment) which has an anti fungal in it and will also heal the trauma to the nipples. 
    Also talk to LO's pedi they can either prescribe nystatin to swab in his mouth or you can buy Gentian Violet over the counter to swab in his mouth. It WILL stain her mouth for a few days. PURPLE! lol, but it should do the trick. I was told to put it on my nipples to let DS suck it off so it gets in all the nooks of his mouth. 

Just cover all your bases because it sticks around if you don't. Sanitize all bottles or pump parts at least every day. Wash all your bras in hot water. Here is the protocol my lactation consultant gave me to use: https://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/content.php?pagename=doc-CP
    Married July 2008.  TTC 2010.
    Stephen James born 4/24/13 after 27 hours of labor and 2.5 hours of pushing!
    Due with #2   4/16/15

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Ok thank you for all the advice. This is horrible timing. We leave for Mexico on Monday morning for a family vacation and I don't have an obgyn right now (yet)since we switched insurance. I guess I'll try urgent care tomorrow.

• Options
    @teach1008 Urgent care should be able to help. Although I hope they don't tell you its not thrush because there is no sign on the skin/LO's mouth.  Be sure to ask for the nipple cream!! Definitely get it before you leave for Mexico!! and I think i took ibuprofen to help with the shooting pain until the medicine and cream took over. 
    Married July 2008.  TTC 2010.
    Stephen James born 4/24/13 after 27 hours of labor and 2.5 hours of pushing!
    Due with #2   4/16/15

• Options
    This has been very helpful to me. I have been getting a lot of very bad pain during and after pumping. My Plunket nurse told me the thrush was all cleared up, but it sounds like it can be there with no visible symptoms.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"