Parenting

Addiction

Yes, I am using an AE to post this because of privacy reasons, and I don't want to be openly judged.

Has anyone here dealt with addiction? I think I am addicted to prescription pills, mainly painkillers. I want to talk to my DH about it to get some help, but I don't because I know that means I won't be able to take them anymore and I don't want to be in pain.

Basically I'm being a little bitch and I don't know what to do.

Best Answers

Answers

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you for your responses and personal stories. I know I just have to do it. I've been thinking for awhile that if I think I have a problem, I must. I do not take a lot of pills, but I am obsessive about counting them and making sure I have enough.

I have not given physical therapy enough of a chance, honestly. I have been using the pills for almost 10 years now and I'm afraid not to.
  • AEformoi said:
    Thank you for your responses and personal stories. I know I just have to do it. I've been thinking for awhile that if I think I have a problem, I must. I do not take a lot of pills, but I am obsessive about counting them and making sure I have enough. 

I have not given physical therapy enough of a chance, honestly. I have been using the pills for almost 10 years now and I'm afraid not to.
    I am so impressed that you're seeking to address this before it becomes a bigger problem. That is major. Quitting is scary, and it is hard, but it is possible. Just the fact that you posted here in the first place makes me believe you have what it takes to persevere through the worst of it, and fully recover. Recovery is definitely the best choice you can make. 

• I agree with PPs, get the help you need. If your family and friends love you, they'll support you through this. You can beat this habit!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • AEformoi said:

Thank you for your responses and personal stories. I know I just have to do it. I've been thinking for awhile that if I think I have a problem, I must. I do not take a lot of pills, but I am obsessive about counting them and making sure I have enough.

The fact that you realize that this can develop farther and you are willing to step up to stop it before it gets worse is tremendous. You are doing the right thing for yourself, children and family.

I know how hard it is to have addictions and I know how much it hurts to watch a parent struggle with it. It sucks because the drugs are taken out of genuine pain, and yet they tend to hurt you more than the physical pain ever could.

Just bringing this up and asking these questions shows how strong you are. You can do this. Reach out to a counselor/NA/pain management clinics. Just keep in mind all the things worth doing this for. My best wishes are with you.

“Some people live more in 20 years than others do in 80. It’s not the time that matters, it’s the person.”
    — The Doctor, Season 3, Episode 6

Dating Since: 2/13/05 * Married Since: 9/8/12 

• There's a lot of great advice in here and I just want to say good luck. I admire anyone who can admit their addiction. This is you reaching out. You've started the first step. A little something to consider, sometimes these pain pills make your pain worse. Try to remember that when you do quit that the pain won't always be as intense.
  • As many mentioned this will be extremely hard on you, but it is by far the best decision you could ever make. I lost my dad to addiction (pain meds and alcohol).  While his pain, physical and emotional, was genuine, the pain he left behind is sometimes unbearable.  For the sake of your family, you need to do this.  Temporary pain relief is not worth the possible life-ending consequences. 

If you need support or have questions for someone who has experienced being a family member of an addict, please PM me.  
  • Much respect for recognizing that you are in a situation you have lost control of.  I wish you success in your recovery.  In addition to the support you're getting here its imperative  that you build a strong support network on your side too. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"