September 2012 Moms
Options

Is it too late for sign language?

Ahhh....the age of incessant whining. I really regret not doing sign language from the beginning.

Sure, sometimes she's overtired or doesn't know what she wants, but I really believe that most of the time she just doesn't have the words yet. I've actually started doing some signs along with the words for some things that she commonly whines for - her sippy cup, a snack, a book, when she's done eating, etc. Not sure if it's too late, but I figure it can't hurt. I know her vocabulary will only get larger in the coming months. And I'm not fooling myself - I know she will continue to whine regardless. ;)
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is it too late for sign language?

• Options
    I don't think it's too late at all.
  • Options
    It's never too late.  People learn as adults.  It's another language.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! I guess I meant is it unnecessary instead of "too late." 

I have Baby Signing Time - a friend put like 3 DVD's on my laptop when I was pregnant. I completely forgot they were there, and then every time I thought of it I was all, "I should really start that...." and just never did.

• Options
    I don't think it's too late.  In fact, when Maya had her EI eval at 21 months because she wasn't talking but signing, they actually encouraged us to increase her signing and to pair signs with words whenever possible.  Teaching her to sign "help" was the best thing ever when she got to about 18 months.  So helpful.
  • Options
    I'm happy to hear this!! Thanks, all!

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member
    James loves learning new signs. It is never too late.

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    We started with a few sign in speech therapy. Never too late. And they learn so easily.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I didn't mean for my reply to sound so dry. Sorry! :-p
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    Yep, it's totally not too late. They actually learn so fast nowadays, and it can really give them another way to talk. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"