Food Allergy
Options

Alimentum question

My DS is 5 weeks old and is being treated for reflux and is MSPI.  He is BF and seems to be able to tolerate small quantities of milk/soy, so he has been much better with me just cutting out major sources of these triggers, instead of checking labels and such.  I do supplement some with formula, so the pedi suggested trying Alimentum.  It has worked like a charm-no more screaming, projectile spit up, rashes and his congestion has improved a ton also.  However, tonight we switched from ready to feed to the powder, and he freaked out.  He did drink some, although you could tell he wasn't too fond of it (it smells MUCH WORSE than the RTF), and then proceeded to scream hysterically, and spit up the entire feeding.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Why would he do okay with the RTF but not the powder?  

ETA: After he calmed down, we proceeded to give him some RTF which he gulped down, and he is now sleeping peacefully.

K, born 05/06/10 B, born with a few surprises 07/20/11  

Re: Alimentum question

• Options

I searched on Google and found that there is an absolute difference between RTF and the Powder for Alimentum, at least.

Here's a link on a Yahoo Questions where the person experienced the exact same thing you did. The person I'm referring to is the person answering the initial question that was asked. 

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080512190701AAd1cpr

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The powder and the ready made are different and kids sometimes do tolerate one more than the other.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thanks for the replies.  I called Similac and they confirmed that the ingredients are different with the RTF and powder with this type of formula, and that they commonly hear the same complaint about babies not tolerating the powder because of the corn-based ingredients.  He also said that the RTF is sweeter, so it would most likely be more appealing to a BF baby as opposed to the powder.  I guess we will just stick with the RTF from now on. 

I must say, Similac had great customer service and are sending a $30 refund check for the open can of powder that we can't use.

K, born 05/06/10 B, born with a few surprises 07/20/11  

• Options
    imageheedy07:

Thanks for the replies.  I called Similac and they confirmed that the ingredients are different with the RTF and powder with this type of formula, and that they commonly hear the same complaint about babies not tolerating the powder because of the corn-based ingredients.  He also said that the RTF is sweeter, so it would most likely be more appealing to a BF baby as opposed to the powder.  I guess we will just stick with the RTF from now on. 

I must say, Similac had great customer service and are sending a $30 refund check for the open can of powder that we can't use.

That is awesome they are doing that!  That is interesting about the corn in the powder formula.  My daughter could never tolerate it, and has been on the RTF alimentum for months and months now.  She had a puree with corn in it about a month ago and threw the whole thing back up.  Looks like we are definitely dealing with a corn allergy as well as a dairy/soy intolerance.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    That is awesome that they are giving you a refund!
  • Options
    DD is on Alimentum, we started with powder, because it was more convient and cheaper (we could not afford RTF).  DD was on that for about 4 weeks.  Stools were yellow and runny, and she was still not very happy.  She was switched to RTF, because insurance is covering formula and the pharmacy only does RTF because it is easier to determine the quantity needed.  Since she's been on RTF she's doing a ton better.  Stools are green now (most of the time) and she's much happier.  I didn't really realize the change because we've been adjusting her reflux meds. and she was just switched to previcid.  I attributed the change to that, but maybe the RTF is better.  Also, it smells a ton better.
  • Options
    Probably because DS knows rtf is more expensive...jk. DS did better with rtf over powder. Make sure you call your insurance company and try to get it covered,...I paid $35 a month for a 30 day supply when it was covered. Otherwise the retail was $$381. Soooooo expensive.
  • Options
    My daughter was put on Alimentum RTF at the hospital after severe reflux and tummy issues with every other formula. I called Similac this morning to ask about the ingredients- she said the RTF is made with Tapioca starch, while the canned powder is made with corn (malodextrin) solids! No wonder my baby wouldn't drink the powder! She also said the RTF has a higher sucralose percentage than the powder. My question is, how do you label two formulas with identical labels, call them the same thing, and have different ingredients?!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"