Multiples

Plus-Size and pregnant with twins?

Is there anyone out there similarly figured? Or anyone BTDT?

I was a size 16 pre-IFand a solid 18 by the time we got to the IVF transfer (a year and a bit later). I am relatively large-framed normally, but am considered obese by my BMI.

I have gained 6lbs so far at 8w5d, and our midwife has offered to refer me to a dietitian to talk about food and hopefully avoiding a GD dx later in pregnancy. I have resisted so far because I don't want to be fat-shamed or scared with a list of risks of my weight (I know the risks). I will probably go soon just to get an idea of how the extra calories should be distributed in my diet.

That said. My partner (the lovely @healz413‌) does most of our cooking and definitely works hard to feed us both healthy, nutritious, whole foods. I should exercise more, and I have a weakness for breads but most of our extra weight piled on during our stressful IF treatments. I am actually less inclined to eat sweets and junk now that we are actually pregnant because my body just doesn't want them.

I guess I am just looking for support or words of wisdom from confident, plus-sized MOMs, or those who are pregnant now. I feel like so much focus on my body and weight has developed, even though I know most of it is my own doing --- I am
Just wondering how you all are managing it and keeping a positive body image.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
queer couple - 32 (me) & 33 (my love) years old - donor sperm,

Our IF/TTC journey since Nov 2012.

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

My Love:  (the amazing @Healz413)
Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.
dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy in June 2013.  

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

Re: Plus-Size and pregnant with twins?

• Congratulations! I am sorry to hear what you're going through but love the attitude you have about it. As long as you're eating healthy and a wide variety of fruits and veggies, you're doing the right thing!
    image    image    image    image

• I think you just need to listen to your body, and your doctor.  

I ran 5 half marathons in 2013...until I was told to stop running before IVF stims...quitting running alone starting adding pounds back on, and tie in the drugs, I was a size 16 at transfer, and only 5'4.

I am now 24 w and 3 days along...and while I am being monitored due to age and risk factors at both my OB and my MFM doc, I have not developed any of the problems, yet.  I had PCOS and was already insulin resistant, so GD is a huge risk for me...I am just focusing on what I can focus on...eating as healthy as I can and trying to be a little active, because frankly, a little is all I can manage.

My focus in on building healthy babies, and they are growing perfectly according to doctors.  I had a weight issue before and I know I will after, but all that is set aside to focus on eating protein, not a lot of junk, and just eating when hungry and listening to what my body needs to create these two little lives.

Hang in there...take whatever help you need...and don't let anyone shame you.  I have not had a single doctor comment on my weight, barring the MFM doc telling me the gain I had in between visits....everyone is focused on having healthy babies, and so I listen and adjust.  I had gained 21 pounds in 9 weeks, but knew I was eating lots of carbs etc as that was all I had been able to handle, and I just kept on eating that way.  Him telling me, just made me focus on adding in the fruits and veggies, and stuff...

I think all of our pregnancies will be different, we will gain at different points, etc...

Hang in there...
    Me, 36
    DH, 44
    TTC since 2008
    IVF in Oct 2013
    5R, 4F, Only 2 blasts made it, both transferred
    10-31-2013 = BFP
    TWINS!! Due July 11, 2014
    Lillian & Harrison born at 33w1d on May 24, 2014

• Loading the player...
  • I was a size 16/18 and 5'4 pre pregnancy, and also considered obese.  I have gained about 35lbs so far and my girls will arrive next week.  I had no issues with GD, passed my one hour with room to spare.  Throughout the pregnancy I ate more carbs than not, and did not eat as much fruits/veggies because I couldn't tolerate them.  Just listen to your body, and focus on making healthy babies.  

This summer when I turn 34 and the girls are 2 months, I am going to be making major changes in my diet/lifestyle, but first my goal was to have healthy babies, and then adapt to having two newborns.  Good Luck!

Ella - 10/19/10
    Julia and Aubrey - 4/3/14

• I am 5'3 and was a 14-16 pre-pregnancy...you can do it! I had no GD issues and gained about 35 lbs. (guessing since I as on HBR for 4.5 weeks). I ate normally and did not deprive myself. You will do great!

Ticker/Siggy Warning:  Children and losses mentioned

TTC #1 since 7/2011
    ME: 37  DH: 38
    SA-12/28/11-normal
    HSG-1/16/12-possible blocked left tube
    BFP#1---CP 7/9/12
    Hysteroscopy-8/9/12-blocked left tube for sure, proceeding with IUI#1
    IUI#1 (Gonal-F + trigger)=BFP#2 m/c @ 19w1d D&E 1/23/13
    IUI #2 (Gonal F + trigger)=BFP#3 EDD 1/6/14 TWINS!!!
    Identical girls born 11/17/13
    BFP#4 EDD 8/27/15 MMC at 7w6d

BFP#5 m/c at 6w

BFP#6 EDD 10/5/16  Going Strong!  It's a Girl!

Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• I'm pretty much the same size as you. I'd try not to worry about it. Do the best you can. With twins you're more likely to get GD, regardless of weight. I was the exact same size with DD and gained 30 lbs. My OB had no issues with that.

I have GD this pregnancy (didn't last time). I haven't been talked to about my weight at all this pregnancy and hope to gain about 40 lbs. I need insulin unfortunately now and am nauseated again, so I'm eating what stays down! Do the best you can; you can do it!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I was and still am overweight! I had my twins when i was 42 and had no high blood pressure or gd! I just tried to eat healthy and drank alot of water ! I didnt obsess about my weight! It has been difficult to lose any weight because i dont have any time to myself but the boys usually keep me moving most of the day! Im not worried, it will come off eventually ! Good luck!
  • I was plus size when I got pregnant with DD and with this pregnancy. Ranging anywhere from a 14-18 depending on the day and the brand of clothes. I carry most of my weight in my hips and thighs. I have PCOS and went through IF treatments for both pregnancies always gaining a little bit by the time I was through with all the meds. I gained 47 lbs with DD (who was born only weight 6 lbs, 6 ounces, not huge at all) and I didn't have GD and don't have it this time around.

This time around, with 5 weeks I'm likely going to gain about 40 lbs. I feel pretty stoked I'll gain less carrying 2 babies, 2 sacs, 2 placentas and have gained less. And these babies are measuring in the 50th and 72nd percentiles, so they're not small. I didn't gain much the first tri, but had massive gains in the 2nd. I had a really bad stomach flu during the first tri which definitely helped keep the weight off. I have splurged for sure, who doesn't, but I've watched what I eat most of the time and did my best when feeling up to it to stay active. Active really is going on a short walk (and they're getting shorter the bigger/farther along I get). But most days at work I go for a walk at lunch, and I have a toddler I chase around. Now that my heartburn is so bad, I often don't eat a lot at dinner since it makes it worse at night.

You have only some control, I feel, on how much you gain, I really do think some of it is out of our control. I think as a PCOSer like me, the weight gain comes more naturally if you will and is somewhat inevitable.

Once those babies are here and you're ready, plop them in a stroller and get out and walk. Walking every day after my daughter was born helped so much to lose the pregnancy weight. I never got back to running or weightlifting so i was never the same shape as before, but I lost the weight and hoping to again this time.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Also, I have some clothes I'll be done with and may try to sell if you're interested at all. Jeans, a few dresses, tops, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was a size 20 when I got pregnant with the boys. My OB or MFM never brought it up as a concern. I did end up gaining 70 pounds by the end, way more than I wanted, but a lot of that came at the end when I had significant swelling and baby A had a lot of fluid in his sac. I won't forget going in the week before they were born and the doctor told me that when my water broke for A half of my stomach would be gone. I passed the GD test, I didn't experience high blood pressure, or any other complications. I say listen to your body and the guidance of your OB. My thought is it wouldn't hurt and it might provide SO some other ideas of what to fix to eat. Good luck with your pregnancy! :)
    ~TTC since July 2010~
    CD3 Bloodwork:Normal 
    HSG-Clear 
    SA:Low Morph 
    IVF with ICSI #1: ER 12/16 (4 ER/3 Mature/0 Fertilized) 
    IVF with ICSI #2: ER 5/17 (4 ER/4 Mature/3 Fertilized)/ET 5/20 (2 embryos transferred)-BFN 
    IVF with PICSI #3: ER 9/8 (11 ER/8 Mature/7 Fertilized)/ET 9/13 (2 AA blastocysts transferred) 
    Beta#1, 9/26/12: 719 Beta#2, 9/28/12: 1,436 Beta#3, 10/1/12: 3,446
    1st u/s on 10/10/12: It's Twins! We found out on 12/16/12 that we were having two BOYS!
    C & D were born on 5/16/13 at 10:46 am and 10:47 am

imageimage
  • Plus sized ftm here, I have gained 20lb in my 22 weeks. I just spoke with my doctor this morning and she said I can put on another 10-15lb but a max of 20 :)

I just eat healthy and I eat a lot. Since I know the babies will be early I want them to be as big as they can be, within reason of course.

With twins you just don't have as long to cook them!
  • I am plus size pregnant with twins as well. 31w tomorrow, started a size 24, and I have gained 6lbs this pregnancy. No GD, although I have had to take the stupid GTT multiple times to "be sure", no high blood pressure, no complications from my weight... or at all. I eat healthy, I take care of myself, and things are going good. =) Everyone is different, and I firmly believe that as long as you are healthy and take good care of yourself, your body is going to do what it needs to do to keep those babies as healthy as it can. Some people struggle more than others, but all you can do is control what you can and work with your doctors to manage what you can't. Good luck mama!

Trina

Mama to Nikaia (1.18.11) and Kalista (1.19.12)

Expecting di/di twins in May 2014!

• You guys are great!

I was walking past a mirror this morning and commented on how my belly fat is a bit higher, and my partner-love told me to relax, chill, and remember all of these wonderful comments about how I can/am pretty healthy, and it's not the size the matters so much as it is wellness!

I'm also so pumped to hear how many of you avoided the GD curse, that's inspiring!  Our RE made me feel like it was inevitable, and it may be (my mother had GD, and my grandmother is type 2), but I also feel bouyed by the potential that I may be able to avoid it, and all the hospital protocols that may come with it.   

@legaleagles -- I think I may be okay for clothing, at least pants, a friend gave me a huge bag of XL and XXL pregnancy clothes that have been floating around her friends circle for years.    I have a feeling that by the time August hits I won't be wearing much but cotton dresses anyway, but thanks for the offer!     Hopefully you find a home for your stuff, I know I was super worried about finding clothing that would fit before that bag came into my life.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    queer couple - 32 (me) & 33 (my love) years old - donor sperm,

Our IF/TTC journey since Nov 2012.

Me: dx of DOR in Nov. 2012. Low AMH, AFC - 6, Normal FSH, SS-A (RO) Antibodies (Autoimmune issues), tubes clear, Sono (November 2013) NORMAL! <p>

7 IUI's - December 2012-September 2013.  Medicated, Injected, Triggered.... all BFN.

My Love:  (the amazing @Healz413)
    Normal AMH & FSH, AFC ~27, blocked tube dx'd via HSG in 2012.   Hydrosalpinx & ovarian cyst dx'd in May 2013.
    dx of Stage IV Endo & bilateral salpinectomy in June 2013.  

Partner IVF#1a- December 2013 - H's eggs, my Ute - CANCELLED due to low response
    Partner IVF #1b - February 2014 - H's eggs, my Ute - ER February 4 (10 retrieved, 3 fertilized), Transfer Feb 7 of one Grade 1 and one Grade 2 day 3 embryos.  1 - Day 3, Grade 1 frosty saved.   BFP - 6dp3dt via FRER, Beta #1 - 110, Beta #2 175, Beta #3 - 348, Beta #4 - 2222!, Beta #5 - 4255.  Ultrasound (6w1d) - 2 heartbearts!  

We lost our beautiful Twin baby girls on June 18, 2014.  Tavin Sara and Casey Elizabeth were born at 21 weeks gestation and were absolutely beautiful, precious, amazing babies.  We miss our daughters every day and love them with all our hearts.

• Yep, size 16 here pre pregnancy. I had a great 9 months and healthy twin girls. I know the only things that you are craving are carbs and sweets, but try really hard to poke in some protein, fresh fruits and veggies every chance you get! If only I could have practiced what I preach! I gained 75 pounds, but no GD thankfully.  

• I was a size 16/18 pre pg. I didn't develop GD. I did gain 10 lbs in a month twice and thankfully the dr never scolded me about my weight. I gained 65 lbs by the time I delivered when my water broke at 32 weeks. I felt huge of course, but the day before I delivered, a woman in the grocery store approached me and said she couldn't tell I was pg from behind! :). Be kind to yourself and enjoy your pg.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Don't worry, mama. I was a tight size 24 when I got pregnant with the twins and gained over 60 (!!!) pounds during the pregnancy - I started retaining water visibly at about 22 weeks and it just got worse from there. I did end up with GD towards the end, and it sucked, but it wasn't the end of the world. And fwiw, I have a couple skinny, healthy friends who had GD with their singletons, so it's not just a weight-dependent thing.

Grant - 6/2/11
    Glenn and Caroline - 6/19/13

• I'm pretty sure I'm in the minority here.  I was 264 pre pregnancy.  Did IVF and thankfully had both eggs stick.  :-)  I wound up with a total of -7 lbs by the time they were born.  I lost 25 off the bat and couldn't gain to save my life.  I gained 18 of it back.  They were born at 35w5d.  I ate everything I could think of.  I kept being told that I needed to gain weight.
    I'm sure I will never hear that again in my lifetime.  lol

Good luck with everything!  Try to do what the doc is telling you.  It can be hard but you will get through it with those good healthy foods!
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image image
  • i weighed 190 before getting pregnant and now at 33 weeks I have gained 50lbs. I did get GD but no insulin shots were needed just diet control and even though not eating ice cream whenever I want sucks....the GD diet has helped me stop gaining the huge amounts I was gaining. I did enjoy eating what ever I wanted so if you're not worrried about the coninuous weight gain then eat whatever you want until they tell you that you can't. Just try and be healthy for those babies :) 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • You will be great I was a 20/22 and have PCOS.  I am now 23wks and haven't really put on weight because I had severe morning sickness so what I lost in the beginning is coming back now as the babies grow.  My OB and MFM have not said anything about my weight.  I did ask concerned because I wasn't putting on a lot.  He said there are no issues the babies are growing normally so he isn't concerned.  It took a long time for me to get my appetite back but now it back so I am sure I will start gaining now. Good Luck you will be great.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"