October 2014 Moms

Moving while pregnant

So, DH just got a great new job. Yay! They don't need him to start till June/July but it is in a new state. So I am already thinking about selling our house, finding a new house, packing and unpacking with a toddler I can barely even think about this pregnancy let alone preparing for LO2 I feel terrible but I think once I hit third tri we will hopefully be settled in a new town, which is where my Inlaws live and only 45 minutes from my parents rather than hours, I will start getting excited and start nesting. I don't even know what little ones room will look like so I won't be able to start planning the nursery or anything. Anyone else move while pregnant. Any tips? when do I start looking for a new doc? Will transferring care during the pregnancy be a problem? Here's to adventures I guess!
 image image
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Moving while pregnant

• Right there with ya! :/ wish I had some advice, but my head is spinning from all the sane questions you are wondering. I'm moving from MN to AZ....HUGE CHANGE!! I know it will be worth it, but I wish I could snap my fingers and evening would be done!
    Good luck with your new adventure!!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Congrats and good luck! We moved to a bigger place in the same town when I was pregnant with DD.  I'd say if you can afford it, it's definitely worth getting movers who can pack up everything and get it to your new place and at least in the right room. Then all you need to worry about is organizing once it's there.  

On the hard days just try to think about all the free babysitting you'll be getting!  

• Loading the player...
  • We are shopping for our first house and will be moving before our LO arrives as well. Which also means moving our law firm and we have no family nearby.

I'm living by the mantra "one step at a time" because otherwise it's just too overwhelming.
  • In a couple of weeks my husband and I are moving from Virginia to Kansas (Yay for 20 hour drive >_>). My husband is getting out of the military and both of our families live in Kansas so we are moving back there. I've been in communication with the birthing center I will be getting my care from in Kansas and they said that I can either bring my records from my other doctor appointments or they will just mail a release form to where I got care and get my records that way. If there are places you have in mind at your new location I think you should call them to make sure you get all you need done ahead of time. We haven't actually moved yet so I don't really have any more good advice for you at the moment. Hope everything goes smooth with your move. :)

<('.'<) (>'.')> (^'.')> <('.'^) <('.'<) (>'.')> (^'.')> <('.'^) <('.'<) (>'.')> (^'.')> <('.'^)

• Congrats! It will be great to be closer to family. Start packing NOW!! You always have WAY more stuff than you ever imagined!!! Also, start sorting and purging what you can donate or sell. Maybe even have a garage sale. Do as much as you can in advance. You'll thank yourself later!!

Start calling and researching doctors in your new area. Maybe ask your MIL if she knows any women who have recently given birth in the area and see if they have recommendations. 

Just try to relax and take things one day at a time. Don't stress yourself out by doing too much. And don't be afraid to ask for help! Good luck with everything!
                         Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I agree with pp to start packing now. I would also definetely recommend getting movers!!!!! We moved in state (only 6 miles) when I was 7 months pregnant and my husband had the brilliant idea to have the movers only move the big stuff like furniture and then we would move everything else. Huge mistake! It took the movers just about the same amount of time because they were trying to work around our stuff that wasn't packed. Then it took us another two weeks to get everything else moved. It was a mess! You could also request your records be sent to your new dr when you are at your last appt.

@35nhappy‌ , what part of AZ are you moving to? I'm in AZ!
  • WOW! I have no advice, but I wanted to say congrats and good luck!

image image image

• We are currently house hunting/selling our condo since it's a one bedroom.. Keeping my fingers crossed this happens by August so we are not in the mist of renovations when LO arrives. Good Luck!!!

Lil Pumpkin Caffrey ~ 10/3/14

• Congrats to your husband!  That is great that you will be moving closer to family.

I don't have a lot of advice but I am in the same boat!  My husband and I will be moving states as well--in August.  Luckily only two to two and a half hours away.  We already told our CNM at our first appointment and she said she had contacts in the city we're moving to.  I will be talking to her about it more and maybe calling places soon--if not to actually set up an appointment, at least to explain my situation and get an idea of when I need to be making an appointment. I don't think transferring records will be a huge deal either from what the midwife said.  People move during pregnancy.

Last summer we moved from Iowa to Ohio and we did it with my ILs and a U-Haul and moved our stuff ourselves.  Since then we have bought more furniture (like a huge couch).  We are thinking we are going to have a good excuse to hire movers this time around even though it will be expensive.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • 35nhappy said:
    Right there with ya! :/ wish I had some advice, but my head is spinning from all the sane questions you are wondering. I'm moving from MN to AZ....HUGE CHANGE!! I know it will be worth it, but I wish I could snap my fingers and evening would be done! Good luck with your new adventure!!
    We moved from AZ back to our home state of MN so I know how you feel!

I'd rather move pregnant and with a toddler than with a toddler and newborn! We moved from AZ to MN when DS#2 was 2 weeks old. Thankfully all I had to do was fly with both boys. Good luck!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DS #1 6/19/09 M/C 4/5/11 DS #2 12/28/12 BPF 1/31/13
  • I already told DH we ARE getting movers and he agreed. When we moved into this house which was out first we did it ourselves but we only had the stuff from our one bedroom apartment to move. Now we have a whole house full and I wont be able to help with any of the heavy lifting by the time we are moving.

I guess I need to start thinking about packing I just worry about having all the moving boxes and stuff around the house or piled up in the basement while we are trying to sell the house. I want it to look staged and nice since there are SO many houses for sale in our area right now. That is stressing me out the most. 
     image image
  • I would start researching a new house and new doctor right away so you have plenty of time to make the right decision for you. In terms of setting up a nursery and buying for the new baby, IMO it's no big deal to wait until a couple months before your EDD.  We are not moving houses but I need to change our bedrooms around and don't plan to do that until August. 

Peanut 1.23.11 ~ Bean 9.06.12 ~ Little Boy 9.24.14
  • We moved when I was about 5 months pregnant with DD. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but then again I didn't have a toddler back then.

I just took my time and packed over a period of time, room by room, throwing out all that I could, and only packing what I thought we would really be using.

We hired movers who did all the heavy lifting and putting the boxes and furniture where it belonged and I took my time unpacking

BFP 1: Sept 5, 2011 - Ended in Chemical Pregnancy at 5 Weeks
    BFP 2: Dec 2012 - Baby Girl born in July 2012
    BFP 3: Sept 5, 2013 - D&C on Oct 16, 2013
    BFP 4: Jan 30, 2014 - Stick baby Stick ... Due Date Oct 1, 2014

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I agree with pp to start packing now. I would also definetely recommend getting movers!!!!! We moved in state (only 6 miles) when I was 7 months pregnant and my husband had the brilliant idea to have the movers only move the big stuff like furniture and then we would move everything else. Huge mistake! It took the movers just about the same amount of time because they were trying to work around our stuff that wasn't packed. Then it took us another two weeks to get everything else moved. It was a mess! You could also request your records be sent to your new dr when you are at your last appt.

Gilbert!!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We moved when I was eight and a half months pregnant with DS.  We just moved to a neighboring town, so it wasn't several hours away, and I didn't have a toddler, so my experience isn't exactly the same.  The hardest part was not being able to get a nursery together until I was 36 weeks along (good thing DS was only 3 days early).  We also re-painted everything in the house, but I felt really good through my whole pregnancy, so I didn't really struggle with all the work.  Both of our families live local to us, so we just commissioned my brother and brothers-in-laws to help with the heavy stuff, and I packed everything in banker's boxes, so nothing got too heavy for me to comfortably move.  I think being pregnant really motivated us to have the house done before the little one got here which was great because I could have seen us easily getting it to a point where it was okay, but not done, so the impending birth kicked us into high gear!
    Me: unexplained infertility - annovulatory DH: testicular cancer survivor!! TTC since June 2009 BFP May 11, 2012 EDD January 24, 2013 June 1, 2012 - first u/s, heartbeat 124 BPM!! June 22, 2012 - heard the heartbeat 9w1d 181 BPM!! 24 hours of labor, 4 1/2 hours of pushing, and IT'S A BOY! Welcome to the world my miracle, we prayed and prayed for you, and we can't believe you're here!
  • We're moving across town in about two months. We aren't hiring movers because I don't want to spend the money and would rather give my cousins pizza and beer.
  • Congrats! We are also moving at the end of June for H's job. We will be moving from CO to MN, and I have already found a dr that I want to see and researched their hospitals. I have been in contact with the dr, but they won't let me officially schedule anything for  a few more weeks. I plan on getting a copy of my files from my current OB as well as having them transfer them, just to cover my bases. I totally second the movers idea! My H is super frugal, so I am still working on convincing him ;)
    photo: YOU CAN&#8217;T SIT WITH US!

• edited March 2014
    We are in the middle of building a bigger home and selling the one we're in. It's super stressful but we packed up all the rooms and things we don't usually use a couple of months ago. It helped our house show better (bigger) and I wasn't pregnant yet! Or at least didn't know I was. ;-)

I'm stressed out about the actual move, for sure, but I know we will get through it. Luckily, we've already recruited a few of DH's fireman friends to help us. I just hope they don't beat the shit out of our furniture.
  • We moved during my last pregnancy when DS was 2.  I was due in October then as well, and we moved in June (actually twice because we went to an apartment first after we closed on our old house, and then had to wait for our new one).  DH was great in terms of doing a lot of the packing.  We got those "pod" boxes where you pack them up at your house and they move them to your new house so we could unpack at our own pace.  It was also helpful with staging because we just packed up a couple (or rather DH did) and they took the stuff away so the house looked nice.   I didn't have to change doctors, but you may want to start doing research - I think some may not accept you as a new patient after a certain number of weeks (like 3rd tri).

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Congrats! We are also moving at the end of June for H's job. We will be moving from CO to MN, and I have already found a dr that I want to see and researched their hospitals. I have been in contact with the dr, but they won't let me officially schedule anything for  a few more weeks. I plan on getting a copy of my files from my current OB as well as having them transfer them, just to cover my bases. I totally second the movers idea! My H is super frugal, so I am still working on convincing him ;)

Where in MN? I love my OB and am so very sad to be leaving him!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • 35nhappy said:

I agree with pp to start packing now. I would also definetely recommend getting movers!!!!! We moved in state (only 6 miles) when I was 7 months pregnant and my husband had the brilliant idea to have the movers only move the big stuff like furniture and then we would move everything else. Huge mistake! It took the movers just about the same amount of time because they were trying to work around our stuff that wasn't packed. Then it took us another two weeks to get everything else moved. It was a mess! You could also request your records be sent to your new dr when you are at your last appt.

Gilbert!!
    I'm in Gilbert! We are in south Gilbert really close to queen creek. There is another lady on here who is in queen creek. It won't let me tag her for some reason.
  • We also found out that, because of a new job, we're moving this year... to Mexico.  I'm due 10/5 and DH was supposed to start the new job 10/6. HA! Needless to say, we pushed it back and aren't moving until January now (fingers crossed). I'm a FTM and I'm freaking out about moving to a new country with a newborn, but, like you said @aander6 "Here's to adventure!"

BabyFruit Ticker
  • We'll be moving as we need a bigger place for the baby. I'm already stressed out about it. I haven't had any energy to start packing and cleaning the way I'd like.
  • We are shopping for our first house and will be moving before our LO arrives as well. Which also means moving our law firm and we have no family nearby. I'm living by the mantra "one step at a time" because otherwise it's just too overwhelming.
    This is great advice and what I live by as well. DH and I sold our townhouse and are moving in with my parents until we can find out next home. It's overwhelming to think about trying to find daycare when we don't even know where we will be living. I also don't know how long it will take for us to find out next house, and the pressure will be on to get baby's room ready, etc. One step at a time!! At least we are staying in the same state and not moving further than 50 miles! :)

imageimage
    I'm in MN, too!  What area in MN are you moving to??

imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"