Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Teething - 17 months!

My son has been teething since he's 3 months old.  This week has been horrible! He wakes up screaming at the top of his lungs during the night from all of the pain.  I gave him Tylenol the past 2 nights going to bed but as soon as it wears off, hes up and screaming.  Once i calm him down and hes sleeping in my arms, I try to put him in the crib and he starts screaming again! I really try to leave him in the crib at least 10 min to see if he'll go to sleep but i think hes in too much pain.  I see all of the teeth coming in and its so heart breaking to see him in this pain! What can i do during the night, aside from giving him another dose of tylenol, to help??"?

Re: Teething - 17 months!

• Options
    Have you thought of a teething necklace?  All of my kids have worn one since they were 5 months old and I've never had to give them medicine.  For us, I knew it worked when I took the necklace off after a bath and forgot to put it back.  The next day I had a very different and cranky child then I noticed the missing necklace and put it back on.  Within a few hours she was settled.  We get ours from Inspired by Finn and if too much pressure is applied the necklace opens up (and it has for us a total of two times with 3 kids) so I feel confident about them sleeping in them.  They wear them until all teeth are in. 

Also, at that age its very possible its not even teething.  17 months is a big mental leap and its very possible this is how your child reacts to mental leaps (especially since you said its been that way since 3 months old- which is another huge mental leap).  Its rare that my 15 month old wakes up in the middle of the night (generally its due to a potty accident) but when she does- if I go, I can't put her down.  If DH goes- she goes right back down.  So you may want to see what happens if your DH goes up instead.
  • Options
    thanks for your suggestions! I'm going to look into the teething necklace! your right - it could be another leap, but with all the white i see around his gums, im going to say its his teeth :( who knows with these kiddos
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ibuprofen seems to work better for teething for us because of the anti-inflammatory properties. Once I have the dose in the syringe, I squeeze a little bit onto my finger and gently rub it into the gums where the teeth are cutting through, then give the rest of the dose from the syringe. For nap time, I just do a little bit on my finger instead of a full dose. Seems to help enough to get her through a nap.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    thats a great idea - thank you! i was thinking about ibupofen today because it lasts up to 8 hours so that might be better for him.  I just dont want to give it to him every night so thats what im struggling with!
  • Options
    Ditto what @ELF4321 said.  Ibuprofen works better for DS.  We mostly use Tylenol for fevers only, ibuprofen for teething pain.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • Options
    My daughter is teething really bad as well she wakes up crying at night to. What I usually do for that is I give her an unopened Popsicle and let her chew on that before bed give her some tylenol and when she wakes up again I leave some night time orajel by the bed and she goes right back to sleep after that because her gums are numb and it lasts longer then regular orajel. I hope this was some help.
  • Options

Our pedi told us motrin over tylenol for the anti inflammatory quality as well. We use a teething necklace..I swear by it after DD cut two molars and I didn't even notice.

but maybe an ear infection? The telltale sign that DD has one is when she hates to be laid down in th crib and immediately pops awake screaming

• Options

He slept through the night sunday night and tuesday night but not mon or last night..I would think for an ear infection it would be consistently not being able to sleep? Also, hes not pulling his ears.  I'm definitly not ruling anything out and will keep a close eye on him! Hopefully he sleeps tonight with the IBuprofen, i'm tired :( Thank you all for your suggestions!

• Options
    kmc84kmc84 member
    We also swear by the necklace! We got ours from Inspired by Finn.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    TTC# 1 since 5/10
    Me:34 Type 1 Diabetes, Ankylosing Spondylitis, Hypothyroid DH:35 Perfect
    DX: Unexplained IF
    Many IUI's with various meds all BFFN
    IVF #1 11/11 canceled due to OHSS
    IVF #2 Feb/March 2012 ET of 2 on day 3 4/7 BFP! 5/1 u/s blighted ovum
    IVF #3 July 2012 ET of 3 on day 3 7/24 BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w4d on 3/9/13

TTC #2
    IVF #4 May/June 2014 ER 6/4 18R 8M 8F ET 6/9 1 blast, 2 frosties
    Beta 6/18 BFFN

FET of 2 blasts 7/24...BFP!
    Healthy baby girl born at 36w3d on 3/17/15

TTC#3
    IVF #5 June 2018- PGS planned, no surviving embryos
    IVF #6 August 2018- ET of 2 on day 3 - Chemical pregnancy
    IVF #7 August 2019-....?
  • Options
    ah625ah625 member
    edited March 2014
    Sorry ladies, but I'm gonna be the one to say it. 

Amber teething necklaces are a scam.

The human body cannot get to a high enough temperature to release the succinic acid (melting point of 187* F), if you even have a real amber necklace. Many sold are intentional fakes. It's become a market built on tricking desperate moms. 

There is not a single stitch of scientific evidence it works.

Anecdotal "evidence" from others isn't enough to justify strapping a choking hazard to your baby. Use tylenol, which is scientifically proven to help with pain. Giving your son tylenol night during the relatively small window he's teething is not going to hurt him.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    thanks..i researched the necklaces this weekend and am not comfortable putting it on him - but i do appreciate all of the feedback! He slept all weekend due to ibuprofen so im hoping that i wont have to give it to him tonight :(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"