D.C. Area Babies

Maternity and Newborn Photography

Mango MomMango Mom member
edited November 2013 in D.C. Area Babies
I am looking for a little advice and thought this might be a good place to start.  I am a professional maternity and newborn photographer in the Northern Virginia/Washington D.C. area.  I am looking for new ways to reach expecting mothers.  I tried doctors offices, but they generally give out the bag-o-goodies (where my business cards/marketing would be) to expecting mothers at their first appointment......not when they are reaching the 3rd trimester and thinking about maternity and newborn photography.

What sorts of marketing would reach you at this stage in your pregnancy and get you thinking about these kinds of portraits.  Any ideas are good ideas :)

Thanks a MILLION for your help!!

Check out my site! **LINK EDITED BY MOD**
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Maternity and Newborn Photography

• I've actually been looking for any photographers looking for expectant models. I'm 22 weeks but quickly showing. Let me know if you're interested. I modeled during my 1st pregnancy and had a blast...

In terms of trying to reach out, think the best way are posts like this and outreach like preg yoga classes.

Thanks! Tiffany
  • megmegsmegmegs member
    edited December 2013
    I'm currently looking for a newborn photographer for May 2014; can you PM me your site?
    Tobin Chase, born April 20, 2014
  • Loading the player...
  • A lot of local businesses build their client base when starting out by offering a half off deal through Groupon on Living Social. From there, you get people to review you on Yelp, pass the word to local mom listserves, etc. For NoVA, there's an Old Town Mom's listserve - lots of providers are on the list but generic advertisements don't get as much attention as discounts. As a heads up, the moms on that group don't like last minute cancellations or tardiness and I've seen some businesses get bad reviews there, so just be extra courteous because word spreads and the group has like 5000 members. 

The hospitals have a list of providers on site with photo packages starting at $150 or so. That's your competition for the newborn photos; offer more photos at less than they do and you should find people happy to set up appointments with you, but you'll have to manage your calendar kind of like any other person working with birthing women - you may only get 24 hours to get on site for the photos. You'll have plan holidays and travels around client due dates. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I would suggest trying to offer mini sessions if at all possible, I know those are very popular and people will often google to find those if they can.  Also, maybe check out moms groups like Moms of North Arlington or Moms of South Arlington?

• KulaveKulave member
    edited February 2014

Hi! Can you send me your information? My wife and I are looking for someone to do my maternity photos as well as newborn photos. Thanks!

• Maybe consider placing one on FB?
  • Post you website here, so we can see your photography. We are also looking for a maternity and newborn baby photo session.
  • Try Judah Avenue Photography. Their website is https://judahavenue.com/newbornandfamilyphotography/ Naf is wonderful!! She was great with our son, very patient and every single pictures was amaze balls. She also gave us digital files on a CD with a logo and one set without.We have already recommended her to a lot of folk and they all love her. 
  • Oops just repasting here from below. is https://judahavenue.com/newbornandfamilyphotography/ Naf is wonderful!! She was great with our son, very patient and every single pictures was amaze balls. She also gave us digital files on a CD with a logo and one set without.We have already recommended her to a lot of folk and they all love her. 
  • @megmegs - did you ever find a photographer? I recognize your name from the May 2014 BMB and I'm searching for a newborn/family photographer...any luck?

M14 January Siggy Challenge: Resolution I have no intention of keeping...SHOPPING LESS!

TTC: 8/13; BFP: 9/11/13; EDD: 5/15/14
    DD Born @ 40+4

image   image image image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would love your information. I'm due in November and would like photos before school starts again.
  • I would also love to have your information.  Please PM me your info. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Not sure when anyone started this thread or replied but we loved Cortney of https://www.cortneydphotography.com/  if you are still looking.  We found her on the bump years ago when they used to have a local section.  I can't find that on the site anymore.
    BabyFruit Ticker