November 2014 Moms
Options

Coffee

Help!! How is everyone doing giving up coffee? Are you drinking one cup a day? Reg. or decaf? What about tea or chai?

Re: Coffee

• Options
    I've had an extremely low tolerance for coffee since a few days before I got my bfp. So cutting it out completely hasn't been an issue. Not all coffee is the same caffiene-wise. A Starbucks light roast coffee has way more caffeine than a latte made with espresso. Brewed coffee often has more caffeine than espresso drinks. So if you want to maximize your coffee intake and minimize the caffeine I'd just do some googling about caffeine content of your favorite drinks.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Also, caffeinated teas can have way more caffeine than coffees. It just all depends.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks! I just read that chai is not good.
  • Options
    I always start my day with two cups of coffee. Not planning to cut back as it seems unnecessary.

I get up before 4am. There's no way thats that's possible without coffee.

I also drink a British-style tea during the day, three tea bags with almond milk.
    Elkanah Brave, born 02/06/2012 7:26am
  • Options
    Why is chai not good :(

• Options
    I'm sticking to two full-caffeine beverages a day (coffee, tea, or soda). I'll have a cup of decaf coffee or caffeine-free tea if I still want something later in the day.

image      image

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm drinking 1 cup of decaf a day. I started cutting out caffeine while TTC. I'll add some back in when/if I get to 2nd tri.
    Anniversary

Baby Birthday Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I've never given up coffee. I have 1-2 cups in the am and in the afternoon I usually do a starbucks run and then I will get something 1/2 caff.
    After many years and tears our baby boy is finally here
    Born 11-6-10

• Options
    I've been limiting myself to one cup of coffee a day. I don't drink soda but I do eat a decent amount of chocolate. I'd rather save the rest of my caffeine allotment for that.
    TTC since 11/13
    BFP 12/28/13 - M/C @ 6 wks
    BFP 3/14/2014 - EDD 11/19/2014 - Birthday 11/23/2014

• Options
    I didn't cut out my usual cup of coffee or 2 with my ds during pregnancy or breastfeeding and he ended up having severe acid reflux (think crying ALL day EVERY day) until we figured it out and he got put on meds. I'm not saying caffeine was the culprit but it was the only thing I didn't eliminate. Needless to say, I'm cutting it out or only having decaf this time around. Just my experience, FWIW!
  • Options
    I haven't cut out caffeine, I just keep it limited to 2 cups a day. I work 55 hours a week, have a 4 year old that keeps me busy at home, and still have to manage to clean my house, do laundry, run errands, etc. No caffeine isn't an option for me.
    Number One: Born 06.16.2009
    BFP: 01.17.2014 / MC 02.05.2014
    BFP: 03.08.2014 / MMC: 05.07.2014
    Dx: Gestational Trophoblastic Disease
    Currently on the bench. [Chart]

• Options
    Coffee makes me want to throw up lately. I didn't drink much caffeine before getting pregnant, so my habits are similar. I'll have a pop if it sounds good.

Dx: Endometriosis (2010), PCOS (2013)

TTC since 8/2012

BFP 3/9/2014  Femara 7mg + trigger. EDD 11/20/2014

http://amycookiemonster.blogspot.com

• Options
    I have a cup of half caf in the morning and then either a pop or coffee at midday. I started cutting it down while TTC so it's not a huge step down.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    CTri17CTri17 member
    edited March 2014
    Switching to Decaf for first tri then ill be back to my regular 1 cup a day habit :) of caffeinated
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options
    I would honestly rather consume caffeine than the chemicals in decaff coffee. I wake up at 4am for work, so most days I need a pick me up. I drink on average half cup of coffee and it's pretty hard. I used to be a one pot a day kind of person.
    My prince

My princess

Name my baby!
  • Options
    Before I was pregnant I was having 2-3 cappuccino's a day and I tried one 2 weeks ago and it just tasted like crap, didn't agree with me at all.. I've just been having maybe one cup of tea a day or maybe a green tea.. Been drinking heaps of water too..
  • Options
    I had a small glass of pop most days last pregnancy. This one I'm trying to cut it out completely. So far so good
  • Options
    I've never given it up fully with any of my pregnancies. I did switch to half caff in the mornings, but I will still have the occasional soda too.
  • Options
    I switched to half-caff so I'm still drinking 3 cups/day. 

• Options
    I'm the lucky one with coffee aversions when pg. I miss my coffee.
  • Options
    I've been fine not having it.  I gave it up because of the unnecessary calories from sugar and creamer that I pour into it.  It's a little ridiculous, so I needed to cut back.
     TTC #1 since June 2008
    M/C @ 6 weeks 12/31/2008, Ectopic @ 6 weeks on 4/23/2010
    Diagnosed Unexplained 11/2009-DH is fine-I don't get AF
    Cycle #22 - 1/27/11 - IUI #1 & Injections - BFP! - DS born 11/11/11 
    TTC#2 - 2/24/14 - IUI & Injections - BFP! - EDD 11/29/14
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I'm changing my above answer and I'm going half caff because I need the caffeine and I'm a happier person with it
    ~Christina S~ EST: 9/27/08        *May 2015 Jan. Signature Challenge-
                                                     You had one job- Parents magazine

BFP-3/17/14 --M/C 4/25/14

• Options
    I am not giving up coffee, I don't think it is the villian that it is made out to be. I drink around 2 cups most days and on my days off I have 3 cups. I have cut down from normally 3-4 cups a day, though.

And while they recommend reducing or eliminating caffeine, the studies are not entirely empirically sound enough to justify cutting it entirely, or create a panic as to ensure I am under 200 mg. I find sodas (regular, diet, and caffeine free) to be more detrimental to my health and fetal development than the sometimes third cup of coffee. Or a decaf coffee drink laden with sugar (real or artificial) and fat.
  • Options
    I have completely cut caffeine. Other than chocolate related! I am just so excited to be prego I want to do everything right. It hasn't been bad. I seem to be craving water anyway. Now my DH has a cup or two every evening and the smell is awesome. But I'm holding strong!
  • Options
    I drink a small coffee on the mornings that I feel ok, some mornings I am not feeling well enough to give it a try.
  • Options
    I have a cup a day if my stomach will tollerate it.
    ~~Signature~~
    Me: 36, DH: 38, Together since: 2006, Married: 9/2011 
    **TW Living Child**

BFP 9/19/20 - EDD - 6/1/21

BFP 2/2014 - DS - 10/2014

• Options
    I tried to drink it, even switched to decaf. But I can't tolerate it. :( I love coffee too
  • Options
    i went cold turkey when i first found out I was pregnant and had a migraine for 2 days straight. now i'll have a cup or coffee or tea in the morning, sometimes 2 if i really need a pick me up.
    TW*** Child and loss mentioned
    Married 10/12
    DS 11/14
    Ectopic 2/16
    PCOS/Ovulation Dysfunction 11/16
    IUI x 3- BFN
    Laparoscopy 3/17 Endo and tubal damage
    IVF- 4/17- 40 eggs retrieved, 10 blasts, 7 pgs tested embryos
    FET- 6/17- BFP!
    Due Feb 15, 2017
  • Options
    I gave up ALMOST all caffeine just by drinking lots of water and caffeine free tea.  Can't give up the chai lattes though.  I have them every few days.  They only have 100mg of caffeine at Starbucks.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I'm the lucky one with coffee aversions when pg. I miss my coffee.
    Exactly this. The only drink I can really tolerate at the moment is orange juice; everything else makes me throw up.
  • Options
    That's what I'm worried about... Not just the coffee but all the sugar and creamer I put I it:) I think I'm giving it up tomorrow.
  • Options
    My dr gave me the go ahead to drink however much coffee I want. She said she probably drank 1/2 pot a day with all 4 of her kids. I did however switch to a more natural creamer. But other than that I'll be drinking it as long as my tummy can handle it.

Me 32 and DH 40

Fur-baby named Bella

1 MC Nov. 2013

DD born Nov. 2, 2014

Little 2 EDD Oct. 1 

• Options
    I used to have a mocha every once on a while, but not daily. I'll likely continue, but just not as often.
  • Options
    Now more than ever I am craving coffee, but I am trying to limit my self to 1-2 cups a day. Also I don't drink or eat any other kind of caffeine like, chocolate, teas etc.
  • Options
    akj1130akj1130 member
    edited March 2014
    I think I would be unbearable to live with without my coffee and, considering I have lost about 80% of whatever energy and motivation I had before getting pregnant, I am not going to give it up. I probably drink the max allowed of caffeine, but I don't police it either, so I'm not sure. Also, I have nothing to hand to point y'all to, so I'm super cautious about saying this, but I thought I read somewhere a year or so ago about how researchers were really frustrated about the whole caffeine in pregnancy thing. Basically, these researchers of teratogens have been trying for years to find a strong link between caffeine and birth defects, MC, etc but were unable to find any satisfying, consistent data to back that claim up. To me, it just seems like we want to believe that everything harms the baby, but there may not be the evidence there, at least concerning caffeine. But, like I said, I haven't run across that article again lately, so listen to your doctors and your bodies :-)

Married June 2010
    Miscarriage September 11, 2010
    Baby Girl C born August 23, 2011
    Baby Boy G born January 16, 2013
    Miscarriage April 6, 2014
    Miscarriage July 4, 2014
    Due April 10, 2015

IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    I wasn't much of a coffee drinker, mostly I would have a diet pop or two a day but once we started TTC I cut that out and only drink caffeine free soda now. Other then some chocolate now and then I am caffeine free for the duration. I feel like if it's best to cut back then it's probably even better to try and eliminate for the baby.
  • Options
    Yeah, the smell & thought of drinking coffee makes me want to barf where I would drink 2 cups almost every morning at work. I've been trying to go caffeine free but it's quite miserable. I think I'll be trying tea with honey to see if that helps. I'm so tired of feeling tired & really want the help from caffeine.
  • Options
    Coffee usually make me feel like shit but if you need a pick me up and dont' feel comfortable with a full cup do half decaf half regular
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • Options
    This thread just made me open a coke zero at 10am :-) I only buy the tiny ones, only 21 mg of caffeine. I also still drink my usual 20oz coffee in the morning. Lately I haven't been always finishing it. IMHO the chemicals from decaf/half calf are worse. I'm just trying to eat whole natural foods, and as much organic as I can find/afford.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"