February 2014 Moms

So that's what her "second butthole" is called!

edited March 2014 in February 2014 Moms

DH and I noticed when changing baby's diaper fairly shortly after birth that she seemed to have a "second butthole" a little farther above her true one, not on her lower back, still in the crack of her bottom. Her pediatricians in the hospital and at the regular check-ups never mentioned it, so we didn't think much of it. Figured it must be a normal thing. We are just careful to keep it clean too. Finally today I got curious and googled something like "why does my baby have two buttholes?" I guess this condition is called a sacral dimple, and can be an indicator of spina bifida. I hope I'm right to assume that since the doctors didn't think it noteworthy to mention, that hers isn't a problem. 

You learn all kinds of things when you have a baby. In researching that I also read that some babies can have crooked butt cracks. ETA: Did not mean this to come off as idiotic as it sounded. I wish I had worded it differently. I didn't think a baby having 2 anus openings was normal. We could see it wasn't one. Just a deep indent we jokingly referred to as that.

Re: So that's what her "second butthole" is called!

• Probably TMI but I've noticed my butt cheeks are different. One is much more round than the other. Specially when I tighten the muscles. This has always secretly bothered me, although my boyfriend says he's never noticed.
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • Haha what?!.....
  • Loading the player...
  • Actually, DD has like a V shape just above her butt crack and it had me worried too so I also googled and found the description if sacral dimple came up for me too. I have not yet checked to see if her butt cheeks are symmetrical...

• You should ask the pedi about it. DD2 had a sacral dimple and my pedi had us get an ultrasound to make sure there weren't any issues.
  • You thought your kid had two assholes, but then figured it was normal? Health and science wasn't your strong suit in school, was it?

We were using the term "second butthole" jokingly. And actually, just to brag, I was smart. I was valedictorian, scored 32 on my ACT, and graduated high school with a 3.98 GPA, college was a 3.96. I doubled majored and work in public health research now.

I am however, stupid when it comes to babies, motherhood, and social media apparently.
  • I read my original post again, and see the way I worded our thoughts did make it sound like we're idiots. I get why I'm being made fun of. Trust, I know having a second anus isn't "normal"
  • I read my original post again, and see the way I worded our thoughts did make it sound like we're idiots. I get why I'm being made fun of. Trust, I know having a second anus isn't "normal"

I'm actually more amused that googling "why does my baby have two buttholes" led you to the proper name.

Yes it can be an indicator to spina bifida. Our LO has one and we're scheduled for an ultrasound in May. Talk to your dr/ped if you're concerned.

We were told it's a very low chance - and (maybe TMI) given I have one, I assume our LO inherited hers from my genes (if it works that way?!).
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers  
      Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

I'm actually more amused that googling "why does my baby have two buttholes" led you to the proper name.

Yes it can be an indicator to spina bifida. Our LO has one and we're scheduled for an ultrasound in May. Talk to your dr/ped if you're concerned.

We were told it's a very low chance - and (maybe TMI) given I have one, I assume our LO inherited hers from my genes (if it works that way?!).
    It does work that way! Dimples are a dominant genetic trait.

BFP #1 5.26.08 DD born 1.4.09
    BFP #2 3.11.12 m/c 3.26.12
    BFP #3 10.7.12 m/c 10.27.12
    BFP #4 2.24.13 ectopic MTX 3.13.13 Right tube removed 3.29.13
    BFP #5 5.27.13 DS born 1.22.14

BFP #6 4.14.16

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

• < It does work that way! Dimples are a dominant genetic trait.

Aha! Thank you. This reassures me!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers  
      Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I just have butt dimples on each side of my sacrum. So is this "second butthole" up and down? Curious.
    September 2014 Siggy Challenge: Goats

• This is a picture of the V kind (not DD! This is from google images). And also one of the second butthole variety...

• Lo has one too. We also call it a second butthole. It's shallow and closed. Apparently dh has one too.
  • Ahh thank you!
    September 2014 Siggy Challenge: Goats

• I'd noticed that with our baby too, but assumed it was a normal thing (I haven't seen a lot of baby butts). I will now ask the dr about it!  I assume he saw it at her initial appt but wasn't concerned?  My husband claims he has the same thing, which would make me feel better, but after inspecting his butt crack (yep), I'm not totally convinced.
  • LO and I are double butt hole twinsies :D
  • littlepig2littlepig2 member
    edited March 2014
    DH and DD both have it! our pedi said it's low on her back so it's not a risk factor for spina bifida. DH didn't even know he had it until we got curious after seeing DD's haha.

ETA: both of theirs are at the very top of their butts so I didn't have to look anywhere gross for DH's
  • You know what I love about TB? It never fails to surprise me. We get to learn something new every day
    F14 Siggy Challenge
  • versedversed member
    edited March 2014
    I agree - very educational!

DS2 has this, and I had no idea what it was. Now I'll have to see if DH has one. DS2 got DH's cheek dimples, so maybe he inherited this dimple, too.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I don't think LO has one....I will have to take a better look. I may possibly have one myself...thought it was normal lol
    My husband thought everyone had one!
  • If it were actually a second butthole, it would be really convenient if only one butthole would get hemorrhoids and the other would not.  That would have solved a few PP poop problems.  
    Feb 2014
  • WTF - I have this! I checked in the shower tonight, and sure enough - so I guess that's where DS got it!

I brought it up to DH tonight, and he knew I had it. Guess I was the last to know!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"