August 2012 Moms
Options

Who has flown with a toddler?

I am going to visit my sister in a few weeks. It just me and DD taking 2 flight that are 1.5 hours each. She will be a lap baby for both the flights. I am a ball of nerves. She is so active and loud!

Who has experience flying with toddlers? What do i need to do to make this trip as easy as possible? Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Re: Who has flown with a toddler?

• Options
    Yep, for a 1.5hrs flight you'll be fine. The flight will practically be over before LO gets too bored.

Let me add to the list:
    - as much time running around the terminal as possible before boarding. Unless you HAVE to take a roll-aboard suitcase and need overhead space, board last.
    - sippy cup or paci for the ears. Buy water or milk in the terminal before boarding.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    We fly frequently but there's no way I'd do it with DD as a lap child. I can't imagine trying to contain her and myself in one seat without her squirming into the people next to us. I go to Target before we fly and buy little goodies from the dollar bins that might occupy her.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh lord, we're doing this in a month, two two hour flights. She's a lap child for purely cost reasons. I'm thinking I need to relax over it, because she will pick up my vibe. 

We flew in September, from Ohio to Philly, and Philly to Halifax, then Halifax to Philly, and Philly to Ohio. The trip from Halifax to Philly? She screamed, literally, the whole time. The three other jaunts she was a doll. 
  • Options

We've flown twice with DD. 

Once when she was only 3 months old.  Nursed the whole time 2 hour flight each way, easy-peesy! 

Then we flew last Thanksgiving, so DD was about 15/16 months.  Again on my lap.  That wasn't quite as easy! 

I agree with all the other posters - lots of differant snacks and new toys that she hasn't gotten bored of yet!

I will say I agree with @shakinros, bord the plane as late as you can.  The less time you spend on the plane the better.  Both times we flew SouthWest, so we actually wanted to bord early so garentee we all sat together.  But then we had to sit there while everyone else borded the plane!  So by the time we took off, she had already been on the plane for a while!

For our trip I got DD a travel sized magna doodle.  $10 on Amazon.  She loved that!  It's still a big hit in the car!  https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Travel-Doodler-Pro-Green/dp/B0060JVU72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395936660&sr=8-1&keywords=magna+doodle

I also got her a couple of these cheap sticker activity books.  $1.28 on Amazon.  They are small, but the stickers are re-stickable.  It was one of DD's first experiences with stickers, so they were fun.  They have a bunch of differant scenes.  https://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Travel-Doodler-Pro-Green/dp/B0060JVU72/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395936660&sr=8-1&keywords=magna+doodle 

But honestly her favorite things were playing with the window (up and down and up and down) and playing with an empty cup and straw (in and out and in and out). 

Good Luck!

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Someone mentioned a while back double sided sticky tape.  That kept my LO entertained for a bit.  I'd also bring an empty sippy cup that you could fill up in the terminal.  That way when you're taking off or landing LO has something to drink that may help with pressure on the ears.  The worst part is just keeping your LO busy.  Good luck! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"