Food Allergy

Peanut-Allergy-Safe Almond Butter?

We recently found out that my son is allergic to peanuts, but tree nuts are fine. I have been searching for almond butter that is not packaged in a facility that processes peanuts, but am coming up short. I ended up just making him a batch of almond butter a couple of weeks ago, which turned out just fine. I'm sure there will be times, though, that it would be nice to just pick up a jar from the store! Any suggestions?? TIA!
F14 January Siggy Challenge: Gym/Fitness Fails

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Peanut-Allergy-Safe Almond Butter?

• I'm not sure on the almond butter, but have you tried sun butter or soy butter? We use sun butter (sunflowers) and it's a pretty decent pb replacement.
  • Ditto the Sunbutter rec. I wouldn't risk the potential cross-contamination of any nut-butter, personally.
  • Loading the player...
  • I have a good selection of other nut butters and at a store we have here in CA called Sprouts. I use almond butter and sun butter. The almond butter made in a facility clear of peanuts tho is a lil over $10/jar. But if you want to buy the almond butter made in a facility with peanuts it's about $4!

The almond butter I buy is by Barney Butter: www.barneybutter.com looks like it's a lil cheaper online too.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks ladies! My mom actually just picked me up a jar of the Sunbutter the other day, but we haven't tried it out yet. And tne81, thanks for the info about Sprouts. We have one here too (I go every weekend!). I haven't seen that brand there. I checked EVERY jar of almond butter I saw there, but I'll have another look. Anyway, Sprouts is where I buy the bag of almonds that are safe to make my own, and they are less than $10, so I'll probably just be sticking with that and the Sunbutter!

• Definitely Barney Butter!  One of the only self-manufacturers that process ONLY almonds in their facility.  100% safe option and they also have 8 different flavors/varieties.  www.barneybutter.com and you can also order on Amazon for cheaper shipping!
  • Another vote for Barney Butter! That is the ONLY sub my son and husband will eat.  It's actually really good and a little better for you than PB too.  I would buy that stuff even if we COULD have PB in the house.  It is expensive but BJs sells it as well as Amazon for about $7/$8 a jar.  it's worth it!!
    Plus totally peanut free (only coconut is a possible, no other tree nuts either).
  • DC2London said:
    TJ's has an almond butter that is processed in a peanut-free facility, but the facility also processes cashews.
    We actually just got Trader Joe's here last month and I found this :) Cashews are fine for us, so this works. I actually have some right now!

• I must be a bad mom. I give my kid m&ms and they come from a "made in facility with peanuts"

Never had a reaction to them
  • Definitely second Barney Butter! Reese LOVES it. We buy the multipack jars on Amazon. (mostly because it is hit or miss in our food stores)
    My daughter is my hero.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"