June 2012 Moms

potty training

We are thinking about starting potty training with DD. She has shown some signs of readiness such as interest and being aware of her BMs. So here are my questions:
1. Have you started potty training?
2. Did you use a potty chair or just the smaller seat that goes on the regular toilet?
3. Any success stories or tips?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

Re: potty training

• We haven't started potty training, but I'm interested to hear what others have to say since DD is also showing the same signs of readiness. We bought a potty training seat on sale 2 months ago and just left it in the bathroom so she would get used to it. She likes to sit on it (fully clothed) and then I give her a square of toilet paper with which she pretends to wipe herself.
    That is cute! I am hoping to skip the potty chair all together, so I am hoping that I can get some tips.
  • Haven't started yet.  I think I will use the Montessori method, which is changing diapers in the bathroom and asking LO if she wants to sit on the potty.  She shows some signs of readiness (dry when she wakes up, knows when she has to poop, can pull pants up/down).

The truth is, I am not in a hurry.  We are traveling a bunch this spring and summer.  Diapers are easier than a newly-potty-trained toddler.  I will probably get more serious about it next fall.
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • Loading the player...
  • Mackenzie has been out of diapers since January.  She is diaper free at night too and has only had three accidents at night.  (I think that two of her night time accidents happened because she had gas that she was trying to get out because her pants were only a little wet and when I took her potty she peed a lot).

not trying to hijack ... but I can't get my signature to update...any ideas?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I haven't yet because we just had my DS and with regression I want to wait until she is adjusted with our new routine and life with DS before I start. I plan on using a little potty with her. 

• We bought a potty and we ask her at least once a day if she'd like to try sitting on it.  Sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't.  She hasn't gone for us yet, but apparently she's gone at daycare a few times.  I know she's aware of her BM but when I ask her "Are you pooping?  Do you need to go poo?" She always says no... not sure why.  Anyway, we're in no rush.  With Baby #2 due in a few weeks, I'm expecting some regression and resistance and I figure it's best not to push things right now. 
  • DS is ready I know he is. I have been lazy. I need to do it.
  • Day Two! I am letting him go naked. I started asking yesterday every 30 minutes and I think he was getting annoyed with me so by the end of the day I extended it to asking at 45 minutes but not making him try until he asked or 75 minutes had passed. Today we are at 1:45 minutes and he has been telling me consistently. Only one accident on the floor yesterday.

He just woke up from his 2.5 hour nap totally dry and asked immediately to go. I ordered thick underwear online last night. Hopefully they get here soon. He goes to daycare for the next two days so I'm hoping she keeps on top of it. She will for sure when he shows up next week in underwear I guess.

He hasn't had a bowel movement yet so I don't know how that will go.
  • How exciting! I read on the toddler board suggestions about putting the underwear first and diapers over it, so they feel the wetness but it doesn't go everywhere. I will try it soon. DD wakes up dry in the morning and usually after naps.
    Now DD is really constipated - she had another ear infection and is on antibiotics again. As soon as she gets regular with her BM times, I will try the underwear under diaper approach (we live in an apartment and cleaning up the carpet does not sound like fun to me :))
  • I hope she feels better soon. I wouldn't start if I were you yet either. Wait until she has full focuss. The diaper over underwear is a good idea. In addition to the training underwear I also bought two cloth diaper covers and inserts for nighttime. I was right, he was ready and I was being lazy. I have to make sure that I stick with it and not get him confused.
  • I had the potty out for a while, until DD started putting it on her head.  I guess she's not ready yet?

DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • We have both kind of seats for our son. At daycare they practice going to the potty a lot and we have noticed a big improvement recently. He goes on the potty pretty frequently at this point but is definitely not trained yet. We are not pushing it - just letting him tell us when he is ready. 
  • Yay our board is making some noise again!  We haven't started but I am chomping at the bit too.  When DD shows she is a little more ready we will start... 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"