May 2014 Moms

Nosefrida (gag) and other baby grooming essentials

I received a baby grooming kit at my shower, but after looking at it it mostly seems like cheap crap. I think I'm going to return it and put together my own. So far, I've come up with a bare bones list of the following:
  • Ear thermometer
  • Nosefrida (although I gag every time I think about using this)
  • Baby Brush/comb
  • Baby nail clippers (any suggestions for these?)
Please add your recommendations! 

BFP #1 7.16.13 | EDD 3.27.14  | MC 7.29.13
BFP #2 8.28.13 | EDD 5.5.14 | Simon Francis, Due Date Baby!

Re: Nosefrida (gag) and other baby grooming essentials

• A medicine drop.
    And maybe mini nail files.
    But I think that's all you're forgetting.

I hated using nail clippers. I always preferred scissors because it was a little easier.
  • These are the ones I got, I love them so much more than nail clippers. We still use them for DD who is 18 months. Also, the Nosefrida is gross, but amazing and absolutely worth it!

https://www.amazon.com/Piyo-Yellow-Baby-Nail-Scissors/dp/B004DFO57M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395236605&sr=8-1&keywords=piyo+piyo+baby+nail+scissors
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I was going to say mini nail files too, you will use those long before you can use clippers.  Also, I'm not familiar with Nosefrida but I have this:  https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Nasal-Clear-Aspirator/dp/B001PBFWMO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395236943&sr=8-1&keywords=battery+operated+nose+aspirator

and as much as it's gross, it's freaking amazing.  And super easy to clean...you just rinse it out.  Worked wonders on DS when he had a stuffy nose and couldn't blow yet.

Also, as much as the ear thermometer is good to have, I would get a rectal one too.  They're always more accurate and I've found even the best ear thermometers to be off a degree or two.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

BFP#1 - 11/27/09 EDD 8/5/10, DS1 arrived 7/24/10 via emergency c-section.

BFP#2 - 6/18/12 EDD 2/23/13, sweet baby girl born sleeping on 10/4/12 at 19 weeks, 3 days.

BFP #3 - 1/18/13 EDD 10/1/13, natural mc on 2/2/13 at 5 weeks, 4 days.

BFP #4 - 8/29/13 EDD 5/12/14, our sweet rainbow, DS2 born 4/29/14 via c-section

• danabsddanabsd member
    edited March 2014
    You'll want a rectal thermometer not an ear one.  And down the road a temperal one. 
    I used nail baby nail scissors in the beginning. Much easier for all parties involved. 
    This has great items in it: 
    https://www.target.com/p/safety-1st-deluxe-healthcare-grooming-kit-white/-/A-12873028#prodSlot=large_1_1&term=Safety 1st Deluxe Healthcare & Grooming Kit

• I vote ask your pedi what kind of thermometer to get.   Ours said absolutely not a rectal one because they feel the additional accuracy isn't worth the injuries they see from parents doing it incorrectly.  Some pedis are particular about how a temp is taken for whether they'll advise you it's okay to stay at home versus go to the ER.

My DS doctor does not recommended rectal thermometers. I use behind the ears or forehead thermometers.

Making the decision to have a child - it is momentous. 
    It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. - Elizabeth Stone
  • @Danabsd Haha that's the kit I received at my shower. Maybe it's not as bad as it looks? Some of the stuff in there just seems really cheap.

My pedi recommended that we not to use a rectal thermometer as we may do it wrong and hurt the baby. He said that ear or underarm is fine for temp taking. 

Thanks for all of the suggestions, ladies! I'll definitely add some mini nail files and saline spray to my list.

BFP #1 7.16.13 | EDD 3.27.14  | MC 7.29.13
    BFP #2 8.28.13 | EDD 5.5.14 | Simon Francis, Due Date Baby!

• We have Safety First clippers that I love. They have a little light and everything.

Our pedi always wanted rectal temps when he was tiny. Vicks makes a good one that has a short probe so you can't over-insert. Bonus with a rectal is that if baby gets constipated taking his temp can help spur things along (something with stimulating the muscles...). Don't forget the lube. We use Vaseline.

There are some other things you'd want in a 'med kit' (gas drops, eventually infant Tylenol and Advil...not at first, kid has to be a certain age!, teething stuff), but I think you have grooming covered.

BFP#2 2.5.11 (EDD 10.15.11) DS born 9.28.11

BFP#4 8.27.13 (EDD 5.6.14) DD born 4.23.14

Lilypie - (2llN)

Lilypie - (2L9u)

My Recipe Blog
    ~All AL'ers welcome~

• edited March 2014
    Another vote for the NoseFrida here, although it sounds really gross it's really not that bad when you use it and works much better than the bulb aspirators. I went through 5 bulb aspirators before getting the NoseFrida and never looked back. I would get saline nasal spray (I like arm and hammer) , a rectal thermometer (I have the Vicks one), and infant Tylenol is good to have on hand since your LO will inevitably get their first fever at 4am! I have these nail clippers which I love https://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Steady-Infant-Clipper/dp/B004ZLZG2M/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1395243463&sr=8-4&keywords=Baby+nail+clippers I thought the baby nail files were completely useless.
    We also used little remedies gas drops. And Maty's all natural chest rub for colds. I think that's all. I don't really get the kits with 20 things in them you don't need half that stuff!
  • I would also second the suggestion of a medicine dropper/pacifier thingy like this: https://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/1200x/37/db/79/37db79aea143d65b7ece48e5dd50d9f3.jpg

With maybe some gas tabs, teething tabs, and baby Tylenol for when they are old enough. I suspect that will be something you just want to have around and not wait until you really need it to go get it.

imageimage

• I definitely second the Nosefrida. It has a chamber so the yucky stuff will never reach your mouth. We also use a temporal thermometer which has worked the best for us. Our pedia's office uses it too. It has some sort of antibacterial surface so you don't have to clean with each use. This is the one that we use:

https://m.costco.com/Exergen-Temporal-Artery-Thermometer.product.10038059.html?catalogId=10701&keyword=Exergen&langId=-1&storeId=10301

• Ladiebug710Ladiebug710 member
    edited March 2014
    We have the Braun thermo scan ear thermometer and have been very happy with it.

I much prefer the mini nail clipper to scissors, but for the first 8 weeks or so the nails are so soft all I did was use a file.

I just got a cheapie brush comb set and it has been perfect.

I am a bulb syringe user, the thought of a nose frieda makes me pukey so I never got one.  The nasal saline is helpful.  I prefer the drops, the spray made me feel like I was drowning LO.

Go ahead a buy a bottle of baby tylenol now so you have it on hand for the first time you ever need it...which hopefully wont be for months.

BFP#1 10 wk missed mc      

BFP#2 DS born at 40+2 on 8/14/12  BFP#3 DD Born at 39+3 on 5/13/14

• danabsddanabsd member
    edited March 2014
    What kindof rectal thermometer are ya'll using that could injure the bebe? Ours is less then 1/4 inch long. It barley goes in. :-?

• Peaceb0ne said:

@Danabsd Haha that's the kit I received at my shower. Maybe it's not as bad as it looks? Some of the stuff in there just seems really cheap.

If you go to the store and buy those items separately they will likely be the same brand. And it has almost everything listed. Including mini nail files.
    It doesn't have a nosefrieda. Everyone needs one of those.

• The first year all we used was a rectal thermometer. We used one of my nail files in the beginning then moved to using our smaller nail clippers (that we already had) on him. We haven't had the need for a brush and I don't think he would ever have let us get near him with a nose frida. We used the bulb but really had to pin him down for it. I can't really think of anything else you will need.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• danabsd said:

What kindof rectal thermometer are ya'll using that could injure the bebe? Ours is less then 1/4 inch long. It barley goes in. :-?

This. Our pedi would only accept rectal temps until recently. Though even at 15 months I only use the ear thermometer as a rough estimate, if it seems off then I pull out the rectal still. The Vicks one is designed to not let you go in too far.

Anniversary 
    Congrats to my GP Sister from another mister Bruinsbabe!!

• I have the exergen temporal termometer that I really like.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We used the normal bulb aspirator for a year before getting the nose Frieda. I'm never going back. Ever. I think I once asked DH if he would use it on me, but he drew the line there.

Now, I want to get one for all my pregnant family and friends because it seriously is the best thing ever.

T 2.12 | W 5.14

• ho11yday said:

We used the normal bulb aspirator for a year before getting the nose Frieda. I'm never going back. Ever. I think I once asked DH if he would use it on me, but he drew the line there.

Ha. We had a similar (completely joking) conversation. :P

• ns1ns1 member
    typeset said:

*poof*

We always used the bulb aspirator instead of a Nosefrida. Just have to remember to gently close the opposite nostril while inserting and releasing the bulb. Steal the hospital one. 

Yes! The hospital one is the only worthwhile one. (We got the nose frieda too late woth DD to ever use ot and see if it worked well.)

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • XathXath member
    I like this rectal thermometer:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001CT0R6K/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?qid=1395254983&sr=1-5&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70

It's easy to use and has a fast response time. Also, the unique shape insures that no one will ever ever mistake it for an oral thermometer. I have a temporal thermometer for general temp taking, but our Ped still wants the rectal for fever tracking.

It's very difficult to injure a baby with a rectal specific thermometer, but very easy to do it with an oral thermometer used in the rectum. When they clench in objection, the sphincter draws the thermometer further in. A real rectal thermometer won't go in too far, but an oral one definitely could.
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm a ftm so I won't be much help but I was told by a lot of stm+ mom's that mini finger nail clippers are a must have!

It's a BOY

• Have any of you used the Baby Vac? A colleague raved about how great it is and it does get very good reviews but both DH and I have concerns about the involvement of our vacuum cleaner.

https://www.amazon.com/Baby-Nasal-Aspirator-2012-Model/dp/B004JA1XB2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1395256284&sr=8-1&keywords=babyvac
  • great information here! I asked my pedi about what first aid things to have on hand and she suggested Tylenol, a bulb respirator for nose, saline spray, and a couple of other things i can't recall right now. I specifically asked about the use of sun screen since she'll be born in May (duh!) but she said not to use it before 4 months and to use shade instead.
    I am getting the rectal thermometer that is bulbous so it is very short and will not go in too far. I think it's the Vicks one but I forget the brand.

Isabella & Julian & and now #3!
  • the idea of clipping baby nails totally freaks me out, so one thing i plan to use on our little guy is my glass nail file. not sure if any of you ladies have one of them, but they are the BEST THING ever. they work amazingly well, are washable and last forever. they don't feel rough and don't snag or pull like emery boards or metal files, and they leave smooth edges that aren't snaggy. there are a bunch of different brands out there. i think it's going to be perfect for delicate baby nails.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I was like "What the fuck is a NoseFrida?!" and then I looked it up and then image

imageimageimage
    H e n r y  May 21, 2014

• I would recommend 2 thermometers. Label them rectal and oral so you don't get them mixed (eww... Like Luke Wilson in the movie Idiocracy!).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"