Health & Exercise

myfitnesspal during pregnancy?

I've been using myfitnesspal app and it's been helping tremendously with weight loss but now we are TTC #2. My first pregnancy, I was already overweight before the BFP and I put on a lot of weight during it (approx 60 lbs). I'm almost at my pre-pregnancy weight now so I am still overweight. I want to keep the weight gain reasonable if I get pregnant again. Anyone use myfitnesspal during pregnancy? How did you set your preferences? Did you find it helpful in eating healthy and gaining a healthy amount of weight?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: myfitnesspal during pregnancy?

• I'm TTC now, but a friend just had her baby, and she didn't track on MFP during her pregnancy. She just focused on eating good, whole foods, and since she'd been tracking for a while, she knew what portions looked like, and what sorts of foods she needed to be eating. She will begin tracking again soon.

If you're truly concerned, I'd suggest tracking using TDEE and set it to maintenance. You don't want to deprive the baby, and my research tells me that you really only need an additional 300 calories a day - so maintenance sounds like it would be a good approach.

Good luck!
  • I am using it and I set it to gain 1/2 pound a week to make sure I am eating enough.  I don't track every day and sometimes I go over, but I use to to help me make sure I am getting enough of each nutrient.
  • Loading the player...
  • I stopped tracking a few months in, but I set it to maintance cals and based on my pre-pregnancy weight (overweight), I was able to keep right on track.

Compared to the 12lbs I put on in the first tri alone with DS#1, I was very happy. :) As mentioned, I've stopped tracking and have focused on eating well and eating when hungry and am up 13lbs at 28 weeks which I'm a-okay with.

If you plan to keep using it throughout your pregnancy, I'd suggest modifying the settings from maintenance to gaining 1lb/week sometime during the second trimester. And check with your doctor as well, they'll be able to advise what your cal requirements should be.

Pregnancy Ticker

• Thanks for the feedback, ladies. I think I am going to try to use it and see how it goes. I think it will even make it easier to get back into the weight loss phase post pregnancy.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am tracking on MFP. I am still 1st tri, so I adjusted to maintain. I was actively losing before my BFP so now this is so much food! For 2nd and 3rd tri I will probably adjust to gain 1/2 or 1 pound a week, depending on what my doctor suggests.

• I use My Fitness Pal and I LOVE it!! I write down everything I eat.
  • I reached my goal weight right before getting pregnant, my dr ok'd me to keep using mfp as long as I had it set at least to maintain and was gaining appropriately. I'm almost 35 weeks now and keeping on track for the most part. I was still overweight when I got pregnant with dd and then gained 60lbs, I can't imagine how far off track is be this time if I wasn't tracking....I can't be trusted around sweets (or just food in general lol). I say stick with it, just be smart about it. If your body is telling you you're hungry eat something healthy, and give in to cravings here and there. Don't go hungry just because mfp is a little in the red, think of it more as keeping in the habit so it'll be easier post baby.
  • I lost weight with 'My Fitness pal', I love it. I changed my settings to lose only 1 pound a day. Then changed my job to mostly sitting. (I work part time and only stand with very little walking), it added 250 calories more to my diet. I don't hard core work out like I used to as well. So I figure I am set. I just eat a little more and walk now instead of do the arc machine at the gym.