January 2014 Moms
Options

STM+: Blankets

I'm not thinking about using a blanket with DS now, but am curious about when you started putting a blanket on your LO at bedtime. I have so many afghans that people have made for me and I can't wait to start using them for bedtime. My BIL and SIL didn't start using one with their oldest son until he was in his big boy bed when he was about three.  That seems kind of late to me.  
Anniversary

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: STM+: Blankets

• Options
    We gave DS a quilt in his big-boy bed at 14m. We would've gone earlier, like 12m, but we bedshared. Lots of people use afghans a little earlier since their holey. You could see when yours is ready by practicing and seeing how he rolls with one or gets out from under one.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @nextverseunknown I love that idea of seeing how he gets out from under one.  I didn't think of that!
    Anniversary

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD hated being covered until around 12 months, then she started to cover herself up with blankets so I let her use them.
  • Options
    DS always kicks them off but we started them around a year.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    Once DS1 was mobile (crawling) we let him have a light blanket, usually a receiving blanket I made out of a single layer of flannelette.  He was about 9 months old.  
    image image

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think it was at two years old.
  • Options
    cja06cja06 member
    They were about a year old.

• Options
    He was just shy of 2. It was when he moved into his twin bed.

• Options
    OK I was bad but I've had 2 winter babies and with DD1 I used a blanket from the beginning in the crib (from the waste down) and she still uses one. DD2 I just put one under her with the swaddle blanket around her but nothing over her. But DD1 never had a problem with getting tangled up in it or anything and usually winds up sleeping on top of it now. 

• Options
    Around a year, but he didn't successfully keep himself covered under the blanket until closer to 2. We still used a sleepsack til 18 months or so, the blanket was more of a 'lovey' at first.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Around 2 when he got his big boy bed. But we live in a warm climate so it was never really necessary.

• Options
    Both my girls have had a blanket from the get go. Neither have had a problem with them.
  • Options
    Started one with DD when she was mobile and when she started sleeping on her belly on her own accord (she'd just flip herself over). Now her blankie is her BFF.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    @act1259
    I'm the same. My little Canadian needs warmth! I do the same with the swaddle & blanket waist down. Once he is able to squrim more & roll it will be warmer & we should be fine with just our A&A swaddle blanket and eventually sleep sacks.
    Edit: add tag
  • Options
    Yikes I feel like a terrible mom lol. Ozzy has slept with a blanket since the beginning. Never thought anything of it. The nicu did it so I just continued at home. I don't put it over his hands, though. He can't pull it over his face that way.
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob & Audra - married since 05.28.11
    Emma Kate - born 10.16.03 @ 29 weeks, weighed 1lb 13oz and 13.5" long.
    Ozzy Joseph - born 11.01.13 @ 31 weeks, weighed 3lbs 7oz and 16" long.
    TTC #3
    _______________________________________________________________________________________

• Options
    Indie has also had blankets from the beginning. She just sleeps so much better when she is tucked in. She sleeps with a singlet, then pj onesie, then a swaddle up sleep suit, then a crib sheet, bamboo quilt and bamboo blanket, about waist hight, all tucked in. As soon as she starts wiggling around in her sleep more I will re think it, probably a baby sleeping bag, but for now it seems to work well.
  • Options
    We used sleep sacks until about 10 months and then used a light quilt.
  • Options
    We use a blanket now in the bassinet, tucked around the waist and arms out. Little man can thun himself every which way in the crib, so I don't use one there for fear he'll tea tangle up in it. This is probably why he sleeps so much better in the bassinet.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

mutt_zps2fb5f039-1_zps7220f27c
    BFP 11.8.12 * EDD 7.17.13 * MC 12.20.12
     photo bump_zpsf1e8435c.jpgRIP Post Count

• Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll just have to watch DS and see how he does with a blanket once he's more mobile.

Anniversary

• Options
    From birth, never been swaddled and he doesn't rely on being wrapped up to sleep
  • Options
    Yeah, I've used one since the beginning.  It is cold here.  The nurses in the hospital also put an extra blanket with her when she was in the nursery so I figured it was okay.  I lay her on the blanket and then bring the bottom end up so she can't pull it over her head.  We've also played peek a boo with a light blanket before and she is able to bat it down, which is nice to know.
    imageimage

Lilypie - (75Jo)

• Options
    My first son turned two last month. We still use a sleep sack. He would never keep a blanket on and the sleep sack prevents him from climbing out of the crib.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"