August 2012 Moms

Fever and thermometer?

So, ds woke up this morning with a fever. I took it with two different thermometers and I got two different readings. I took them both rectally, at the highest, it was saying 101.8. I took it under the arm and it said 100. 

What thermometer do you use? Is it accurate? These two are fairly new.

Re: Fever and thermometer?

• ccamccam member
    I think rectally is more accurate.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• ccam said:
    I think rectally is more accurate.
    I agree. I was just saying that I keep getting two different readings with these thermometers. Just now I got 100.5 and 101.8 within seconds (using the two thermometers).
  • Loading the player...
  • We use one that you swipe over the forehead and have also used the rectal one and didnt see much difference. Hope your LO feels better soon!
  • I've been told to do rectal if they'll allow it because it's most accurate. We bought a temporal one recently and it's easy to use but we always get different readings even taking DD's temperature twice within a few minutes.
    BFP #1 9/2010 (lost our baby at 21 weeks) BFP #2 8/2011 (ectopic pregnancy) BFP #3 10/2011 (chemical pregnancy) BFP #4 12/2011 (Abigail born 8/15/12) BFP #5 5/2013 (Griffin born 1/23/14 with heart defects, now repaired!)

photo 72ec2e97-1e39-4650-8caa-7a40c9ac500b.jpg imagephoto 929c6b58-8824-44a8-a8a6-68330306a3a9.jpg
  • Just as an FYI, you are always supposed to add a degree to the temperature when you take it under the armpit.

#2 BFP 8/23/14, EDD 5/1/15, M/C 9/17/14 - Forever in our hearts <3

• Just as an FYI, you are always supposed to add a degree to the temperature when you take it under the armpit.
    Ditto this. Temporal and rectal are supposed to be the same, but I can't say that's been my experience. We usually do rectal because it's more accurate and doesn't bother him.
    Yep, thanks though! :)
  • I hate thermometers! We have seriously tries them all. DS2 had several febrile seizures so I was always taking his temp and I still don't feel like I have ever gotten one that is consistent. I can take temps rectally five time in a row with 3 different thermometers and get different readings. We usually start with the temporal so see if it is registering something and then do rectal. It is frustrating. We recently purchased a ear thermometer. The jury is still out on that one.
  • Curious what temporal thermometer you ladies are using?  Is it the Exergen?  We currently have an ear thermometer.  I don't particularly care for it.  But thankfully DD has only has a few fevers and they were all pretty low (usually after shots).  So the ear one has been ok for us.  I've never had to do the armpit or rectally.  I want to get a tempral one.  I just seems like it would be so easy.

My Journey to Motherhood
    Me 36, DH 42
    7.5 years of TTC ... It never gets any easier.

Baby Girl # 1
    TTC Since January 2009
    Reproductive Endocrinologist diagnosed us "Unexplained Infertility".
    After 3 years . . . 3 IUIs . . . and 3 IVFs . . . our miracle GIRL arrived on August 6, 2012.

Baby Girl # 2
    TTC Since June 2013
    Got pregnant on our own without Fertility Treatments - January 2016!  Thank you snow storm Jonas!
    EDD 10/15/16
    At 20-week anatomy scan found IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction), and very low Amniotic Fluid.  Now, I'm High Risk and have weekly ultrasounds to monitor fluid and growth.  If baby runs out of room or is too growth restricted, they will deliver ASAP.  My current goal is to make it to 28 weeks!   

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"