Parenting
Options

Anyone here doing Weight Watchers?

I'm giving it a second go 'round after losing 30 lbs and putting most of it back on. Still have 27 lbs to go to get to PP weight. Any of you ladies doing WW or similar program? Any tips/recipes you'd like to share with me?

Re: Anyone here doing Weight Watchers?

• Options
    Then what exactly do you recommend that works @WhoCanItBeNow‌? I am doing the program and exercising almost daily..
  • Options
    You're ignoring that you get 49 additional points which, by your math, is about 350 calories more a day plus you can eat whatever you earn by exercising.  They actually push fruits and vegetables far more than their own products.  I don't eat full fat dairy, dieting or not, so for me to add in yogurt in place of a crappier snack is still better.  The program isn't perfect but for a lot of people it's more about having a visual of how what they're eating adds up.  I still eat peanut butter, etc.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I started it again about 6 months ago just online. The new Points Plus system works so much better for me because now I eat more fruit and veg. I'm down 20lbs right now, no longer on WW directly and just using a points calculator app that I got for $2.

My usual day:
    Fiber one bar or high fiber oatmeal
    Banana

Soup
    Apple

Portion control whatever I was going to cook for dinner
    Measure my wine (hardest part)

And I try to work out 30min 3x a week (these go to wine points).

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    elmoali said:
    You're ignoring that you get 49 additional points which, by your math, is about 350 calories more a day plus you can eat whatever you earn by exercising.  They actually push fruits and vegetables far more than their own products.  I don't eat full fat dairy, dieting or not, so for me to add in yogurt in place of a crappier snack is still better.  The program isn't perfect but for a lot of people it's more about having a visual of how what they're eating adds up.  I still eat peanut butter, etc.
    That would put me at 1650. My BMR is 1648. If I don't eat those weekly points I would be below BMR and not consuming enough to support even basic functions and that pushes you into starvation mode quite quickly. I know a a lot of people save those up for a couple days, so they are coming in 300+ calories under their BMR daily. That's bad. If you spread them evenly over the days and eat your workout points, then it can work just fine.

If it's flavored yogurt, it's loaded in added sugars. You might as well eat a candy bar.

No program is perfect. WW has some major flaws that people are often not aware of because it's made out to be such a great thing. You can eat sugar all day long and it doesn't care and it's barely any points. Eat something with good fats that you need and it sucks up a ton of points because WW is still extremely dietary fat averse.

So, we agree that it's not a perfect plan but your assertion that a candy bar is just as good as a yogurt because yogurt is full of sugar is flawed.  Yes, they both have sugar and yogurt isn't the best choice in the world but between the two it does offer more nutrition than the candy bar.
    Formerly known as elmoali :)

• Options
    BlueRidge8BlueRidge8 member
    edited March 2014
    ::snip::

My usual day:
    Fiber one bar or high fiber oatmeal
    Banana

::snip::
    If I ate the two bold items for breakfast, I'd be so farty for the rest of the day that I wouldn't be able to stand me.

If possible, I have built up an immunity to most fiber.

Apples, on the other hand, are balls of gas in the making. I'm looking at you, delicious giant Braeburns.

*edit* I've found that things with sugar definitely jack up the points value? With the exception of now zero-point fruits.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks @WhoCanItBeNow for the link! My BMR is 1475 based on my weight
  • Options
    DH is doing ww. He's lost 25ish lbs in 9 weeks. He's not really heavy ( he's about 200 lbs now ) but he wasn't happy at 225 and his mom recommended ww. He's pleased with it, but I don't really see him following the points much. It's really the weekly weigh ins that feed his competitive nature and that give him the motivation to make better choices during the week.

can't get the ticker to work, but I have two sons:

Baby RJ, born 1/25/2014

Formerly Twilightmv
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"