Parenting

Sex pole and male/female chores

I'm not going to look these up, but supposedly polls were taken, and there are statistics to prove it. My friends were telling me about this on Tuesday. I realize that correlation does not equal causation, sample size, blah blah, blah, so these "facts" are probably B.S., but I wanted to see if they hold true for you. Oh, also, I disagree with the whole premise of "male" chores and "female" chores, and I just think that husbands and wives should do what they like, what they're good at, and what they have time to do, and that's different for different couples, but I do think the responsibilities should be split somewhat evenly.

Anyway, enough setup - these are two independent studies, and the results are:

1. Couples where the household chores are more evenly split (like the same amount of work for both, although it could be different jobs) are more adventurous and experimental in the bedroom than couples where one person does all the household chores.

2. Couples where the woman does the more traditionally "female" chores like washing dishes and the man does the "male" chores like cutting the grass have more sex than couples who deviate from these gender stereotypes.

I personally think that #1 could be true, but #2 is probably not. I have no idea whether the study for #2 said anything about same-sex couples, but the premise is that if a woman does the "womanly" chores, it will make her feel more feminine, and if the man does the "manly" chores, he'll feel more masculine, and somehow that = more sex. I know that DH is more likely to get sex when he does something like empty the dishwasher or soothe DS back to sleep, so that's anecdotal "proof" against that theory.

Re: Sex pole and male/female chores

• I believe another group did a follow up study that at least partially refuted #2.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think, at least in our house, that chores have anything to do with our sex life.  We pretty much split chores 50/50.  My "main" chore is the laundry and his "main" chore is the outside stuff, but the rest we split.   I wouldn't say we are very adventurous in the bedroom, but that's more on me.  He'd be down if I were. 

I will say that him unexpectedly doing chores, like you mentioned, are more likely to get him laid.  :)
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • MaebbMaebb member
    Summary - 2 studies that are probably flawed had these conclusions:

1. Couples where the household chores are more evenly split are more adventurous and experimental in the bedroom than couples where one person does all the household chores.

2. Couples where the woman does the more traditionally "female" chores like washing dishes and the man does the "male" chores like cutting the grass have more sex than couples who deviate from these gender stereotypes.

Discuss. Or if this is still tl;dr or not interesting to you, feel free to ignore.
  • We fall into #2 because I cook better and he loves to cut grass. We suck in the sex department now. Before baby/ new jobs where besides cooking we split chores because we didn't have any outside chores and he worked less hours we had sex more.

Tl;Dr: wrong for us.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Did I read it wrong? It looks like couples in both categories were having sex.
    http://ewtvrecaps.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/http___makeagif-com__media_4-06-2014_hdzfah.gif
  • FTWR said:

Household chores have next to no impact on our sex life.

It would if you cleaned naked. This is a frequent request from H. But then I explain that nothing would ever get clean and he gets the sadz.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I do most of the household chores.  We usually have a lot of sex.  So I would fit into the second study.
            image image  image 
    To be loved, and to be in love
  • LauraT25 said:

I used to take out the garbage, until @luckydad provided some scientific evidence that my H should be doing it.

I'm not even kidding, H takes out the garbage now.
    I'm making the world a better place with science.
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BhqjipgCIAAOz7H.jpg
    -My son was born in April 2012. He pretty much rules.
  • MaebbMaebb member

Did I read it wrong? It looks like couples in both categories were having sex.

They are - but how I read it as that some are having adventurous sex, whereas other are having a lot of sex

This, and the two studies aren't related other than the topics of chores and sex.

#1 is a correlation between the division of chores and the adventurousness of sex.

#2 is gender roles with chores and the amount of sex.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"