C-sections

Csection Recovery Time, etc.

I'm having a RCS next month, and although I've gone through this before, it's been a few year and want to see how quickly others do certain things.

Last time, although it wasn't a true emergency, I had a csection earlier than planned due to pre-e.  I had my twins by 6pm, and after that, it's all a blur.  I think it took about 45 minutes to close me up and move me to recovery. 

I believe I was in recovery for about 2 hours. 

Then, I believe that I started being able to wiggle ONE toe maybe 3.5 hours or so later?  And then slowly from there, I slowly regained feeling. 

I hate being numb though, so can you all tell me how long it took for you to regain your feeling back?  From being able to first feel something to full recovery? 

Since I had a late csection, I didn't attempt walking until the next day.  How quickly were you able to walk? When did you shower?  And did you shower every day until you went home?  I only remember showering once!  Maybe twice, but it's all a blur now! 

Plus, am I the only one who dreads the spinal?  Even though its not PAINFUL, I am so scared of it!!!

Thanks for replying!

Re: Csection Recovery Time, etc.

• Mine were quick surgeries- baby out and I was closed up and being wheeled to recovery within 30 min. As for numbness- this last c/s was at 5 pm, I remember having some feeling in the middle of the night but did not get my cath out and get up until the next morning. They helped me walk to bathroom the first 4 times then I was on my own. I showered each day but that's b/c it made me feel human. Also, I had an allergic reaction at the incision site and they wanted me to try to wash it off. The spinal is by far the most nerve wrecking part but it really isn't that bad. I just breathed through it and it was over in about 5 min. This time the spinal "migrated" and made it hard to breathe and made my nose feel stuffy. The anesthesiologist just talked me thru it and had me breathe thru my mouth and it was no big deal. Once they sat me up in the gurney, it all went away.

• Kim22Kim22 member
    I had my third in November. Feeling came back so much quicker this time. Baby was born just after 11 am and I was out of recovery and in a room by 1pm. Catheter came out about 10pm, IV stayed until the morning. I showered the next morning and everyday after.
    I hate the spinal too, the thought not so much the pain. This time they did it while I laid on my side and it was so much better but they said the dr I had was the only one in that hospital that does it that way.
  • Loading the player...
  • I had my first section in January and it wasn't nearly as bad as I had imagined. I have no time reference for how long it took them to sew me up after they got LO out, but it didn't seem like a very long time. I remember they told me that I had been in recovery for 35 minutes and was then taken back to my room because I didn't have any issues with my BP or oxygen and was regaining feeling in my chest by then. 

I remember it was a while before I was able to move ANYTHING - maybe 3 or 4 hours. During that time I had my husband, my sister, and my mom all move my legs because I couldn't stand them being numb and just sitting. It helped to keep pillows under my knees so they were bent. I do remember being able to wiggle my toes then feet and after that I was okay.

My hospital policy is 24 hours in the bed following the surgery. I had my section at 9 am on Tuesday so I was in bed until 9am wednesday. The nurse came in around 9:30 to take out the catheter and disconnect the IV. She walked with me to the bathroom where the shower was and from then on I was on my own. I took a shower every day and was out walking the halls several times each day. 

Good luck - hope your experience is a good one!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My c/s was at 3.  I had an epidural because the plan was for external cephalic version.  They took the epidural out as soon as the c/s was over, but I was numb for a while after.  I didn't get up to walk until the next morning, but I probably could have gotten up sooner.  I was in recovery for 2-3 hours because I had a "boggy" uterus.  Then it was shift change, waiting on clean room, etc.  I think I showered twice in the hospital.  Good luck with your c/s!
    DS born 8/8/09 and DD born 6/12/12.
  • I had mine about 2 weeks ago. I was up walking & showering the next day.
    BabyFetus Ticker imageBabyFruit Ticker
  • Mine was super easy. Tried walking 6 hrs after..no biggie. Showered the next day. 3 block jog to get gelato on day 3...Didn't know I want supposed to leave the hospital. .oops! Back to running in 2 wks
  • Solstice7118Solstice7118 member
    edited March 2014
    For mine it was about 30 minutes for baby to "arrive" and then it felt like forever to finish getting stitched up but was only about another 30 minutes. I was in recovery for about an hour (and that was even with low blood pressure (totally normal for me) and the alarm kept going off) and then in my room for the rest of the day. I definitely had feeling back by that point, though, so maybe 2-3 hours, tops? Not all over, but in my toes/feet. The cath didn't come out until the next day. My section was scheduled and I had my daughter at 10:35 am but I was told that I wouldn't be trying to walk until the next day, and didn't. I guess it was about 24 hours before I got up and walked. I definitely didn't shower until the next day, and then only once in the hospital.

And OMG yes! about the spinal! I've been thinking about that ever since we found out we're expecting again (granted, not that long, but still!). Like you said, it doesn't hurt, but it's totally not the best feeling in the world. From what I've heard it's not that bad the second time, though, so I think we'll both be ok :)
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• I had my c-section in August 2012.

I was on mag sulfate after so I couldn't get up and walk around for 24 hours after.

The spinal wore off (at least for me) really fast! I remember getting it done and my legs immediately fell asleep and it wore off in recovery. The nurse grabbed my foot and I was surprised I could feel it so fast!

I had some issues after- the mag made my blood thin and it wouldn't clot. So I was in recovery for almost 2 hours.

So after all that I didn't shower or walk until the next day- 24 hours after birth- they came in and took me off mag, took out the catheter, and I was allowed to get up. FINALLY!

But I totally hear ya. I hated the numb feeling. I had it around my scar and tummy until almost 4-5 months PP! I dreaded the spinal too! Only because I was reading about spinal headaches and it not taking and feeling things in surgery. But the doctors make sure you are really super numb before they start! Good luck mama!! :) Just breathe and relax!
  • I just wanted to say that I don't remember anything either! Total blur. I had my c/s at 3am and I could not even take a guess at the timeline after that!
    BabyFruit Ticker   AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • my baby came out at 9:33 am and i think i had feeling back completely in my legs by noon. i walked around the hospital wing twice at 3:30 am. the next day i was up showering, cleaning, etc. i got to go home 48 hours after my c section. th72 hours after my c section i went grocery shopping and today is 5 days after and i took a mile walk around my neighborhood. i am feeling great!

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• Thank you all for your comments! Glad to know I'm not the only one scare of the spinal too!!

UFS - IMPRESSIVE!!!  I hope my RCS goes that smooth!!!

• brook1901 said:

I'm having a RCS next month, and although I've gone through this before, it's been a few year and want to see how quickly others do certain things.

Last time, although it wasn't a true emergency, I had a csection earlier than planned due to pre-e.  I had my twins by 6pm, and after that, it's all a blur.  I think it took about 45 minutes to close me up and move me to recovery. 

I believe I was in recovery for about 2 hours. 

Then, I believe that I started being able to wiggle ONE toe maybe 3.5 hours or so later?  And then slowly from there, I slowly regained feeling. 

I hate being numb though, so can you all tell me how long it took for you to regain your feeling back?  I was surprised how quickly regained feeling. I want to say about 45 minutes later. Wasn't very long at all. 

Since I had a late csection, I didn't attempt walking until the next day.  How quickly were you able to walk? I was able to walk the next morning and like you did not attempt to the first day. When did you shower?  I also showered the next day 

And did you shower every day until you went home? Yes

Plus, am I the only one who dreads the spinal?  Even though its not PAINFUL, I am so scared of it!!!- I HATED the spinal. I had a great anesthesiologist and felt nothing when it was administered. It was such a weird feeling not being able to move. I don't even know how to explain it. It actually gave me a lot of anxiety. That is the only thing that scares me about having another c/s. 

After many years and tears our baby boy is finally here
    Born 11-6-10

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I didn't pop up as fast... It's so hard getting up without using ab muscles. The first few days are rough, but at least us C section girls don't pee on ourselves when we laugh or sneeze :) haha. I have my 3rd at the end of may and I'm the most scared this time, although in fairness #1 was an emergency so I didn't have time to be scared for surgery. Good luck. You'll be fine and the baby will be great!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"