Breastfeeding
Options

extremely strong suck?

My LO just got back to breastfeeding (he is two months) following two frenectomies for tongue tie. We are just getting to know one another in terms of at-the--breast behavior. I still need to work on his latch (he slips to shallow) but I've also noticed he has incredibly forceful/aggressive sucking  (it takes my breath away), particularly when he is irritable or gassy. Does anyone else have this happen and if so, is there anything I can do? I believe it is partially the culprit to my nipple pain (thrush and less than perfect latch being the other likely candidates). He has a difficult time opening his mouth wide at the breast and I always have to help him widen his latch. 

Re: extremely strong suck?

• Options
    What makes you think his sucking is particularly aggressive? You may just be feeling the initial let down or latching pain... AmyG once gave this advice for it: drink a glass of water right when you latch. you can't stay totally tense when drinking it and it tends to be distracting. as long as latch hurts and then the pain goes away realy quick 20-30 seconds then it's "just" initial latching pain. I say even if you were rubbing silk over your nipples 24/7 they'd still get sore and raw after a couple days, wouldn't they? and it only takes one bad latch to cause a bit of injury that takes a while to heal. warm water soaks of nipple and areola, increases blood flow and speeds healing. a warm rice sock in your bra right before nursing can help speed the let down. cool compresses and motrin helps with pain relief and swelling and inflammation. rub breastmilk in and let air dry. if air is cold, use a blowdryer on low to warm/dry. lanolin nipple creme, or earth mama nipple butter, or kerry's herbals miracle salve for other options. I never liked lanolin, and it does taste a bit funky.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Options
    Haha. I bookmarked it before my second son was born because I remembered the initial latch being so awful with my first. Luckily, it does not hurt at all this second time around.
    My TTC History:
    2009: missed miscarriage #1 at 9 weeks (trisomy 16)
    2010: Infertility
    2011: Diagnosis and treatment (low sperm count, anastrozole for DH, clomid for me + IUI)
    2012: Baby #1
    2014: Baby #2
    October 2015: missed miscarriage #2 at 11 weeks (trisomy 22)
    March 2016 BFP#5, due November 2016.

My Charts since 2009

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I remember between 2 and 3 months I had intense pain during latch. It felt like his suck had become stronger and I felt a nerve like pain that went all the way to my shoulder blades. It only lasted until letdown and after a few weeks went away. I tried to relax as much as possible and we got through it.
  • Options
    Lol- the lactation consultant at the hospital was commenting on my LO's suction power and mumbled under her breath, "she could suck the paint of a wall!" Anyways, I spent a day or 2 counting forward until the pain dissipated. Slowly counting, at first hit 12 before before it was comfortable. So I started counting backwards from 12 each time she latched, knowing it would likely be better by 1. As days went by, I was noticing it was better by 2, the 4, etc. It was encouraging me to see that it was improving and eventually, it was gone. Squeezing the crap out of DH's hand when he was around was a good stress reliever too.
  • Options
    Yeah - his suck is very strong in comparison to my first born (breastfed for 18 months)...and like I said it is worse when he is agitated for some reason (gas, slow letdown, too strong of a letdown, you name it). I am sure poor latch has something to do with it, and thrush never helps (I've had thrush several times with my first and now this LO). This sucking thing is different and additional. Thanks onthewater for knowing I'm not the only one. I guess I will start counting!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"