Baby Showers

How early is too early?

Or does it really matter. 
We'll find out the sex on April 8th, I'll be 19 weeks then. My mom is hosting the shower, she wants to do blue/green or pink/purple, but she keeps asking me for my opinions and input on what I want. I don't want to be rude, I'm excited to help her however I can, but I feel like since we haven't even had our a/s yet, that it's too early for all these questions.

Her main question is when/what day I want it on..and I don't know. We'll have a busy spring/summer...as in like 13 birthday parties, a wedding, and other baby showers to go to (we have 9 other friends that are pregnant as well). So I feel like it would work best to have my shower mid April-ish, within the few weeks after my a/s, which would mean that we need to get on the ball with planning..but is 20-22 weeks too early, or does it matter?
BabyFetus Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: How early is too early?

• It seems extremely early in my opinion. I would be super cautious sending out invites before your a/s and it sounds like youd have to if you did it at 20 or so weeks.
  • It seems extremely early in my opinion. I would be super cautious sending out invites before your a/s and it sounds like youd have to if you did it at 20 or so weeks.
    That's how I felt too. I just don't know what to tell her, I mean we could cancel on one of the events we'd be going to, but then I'd feel selfish. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I think it's too early. I would pull out the calendar figure out when the other events are happening and then go from there.
  • ccamccam member
    I wouldn't feel comfortable having a shower so early. 

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Thank you guys. The specific dates for birthday parties aren't chosen yet, but we have a lot of family members with summer birthdays, so we know we'll have them this year as well since theyv are all kids. I'm sure she can find something, all the dates are just hard tobworknaround, I guess. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• Its okay to have your shower the same weekend as a bday party...pick one of those weekends once you're 28-38 weeks along.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• VORVOR member
    Its okay to have your shower the same weekend as a bday party...pick one of those weekends once you're 28-38 weeks along.
    This.  If there is THAT much stuff going on, weekends are going to have to be double booked. 
  • Darbie914 said:
    I read your other post regarding your sex reveal party.  While I agree that it seems too early to have a shower, would you be willing to combine the two?  It seems like a lot to plan both a sex reveal party and a baby shower so close together, especially for your guests.

The sex reveal isn't really a party. We're moving back to our home town at the end of March, and our family is just getting together for it, with 2 of our close friends. So no one else will be going to both events, we just wanted to tell both sides of the family at the same time, and get cute pictures for the baby book. Otherwise, that would definitely be a good idea. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• VOR said:
    Its okay to have your shower the same weekend as a bday party...pick one of those weekends once you're 28-38 weeks along.
    This.  If there is THAT much stuff going on, weekends are going to have to be double booked. 
    Thank you guys. I'm sure she can figure something out, she'd justvtalked about having it earlier, and I wanted to know what others thought, because I too felt it was early. 
    BabyFetus Ticker

• How about later in May? Or very early June before all the other parties. Personally, I would attend a shower of a friend regardless of what week of pregnancy she's in.
  • Third tri is best. I feel the need to share this: I got bad news at my a/s. I spent the next four weeks getting more tests. My Son had a rocky start but is doing fine now. I would not have been up for a party right after my a/s.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 22 weeks really is too early unless there are travel restrictions (like you have to fly cross country and your doc doesn't want you flying in the third trimester)

We knew at 17w that I would probably be delivering a preemie. The question has always been how early of a preemie. My MFM was trying to prepare me for delivering before 26weeks- thats how touch and go it was. Needless to say, the shower scheduling was complicated by not knowing when I'd be delivering. So if we wanted the shower before baby (and that was the preference) we had to consider holding it much earlier than is traditional.

In the end, though, we still decided to wait for the third trimester since even if baby came earlier- she'd be in the nicu for several months anyway. So we scheduled for 30weeks. Still early in the third trimester, and maybe too late for it to be before baby, but late enough that if I miraculously hadn't delivered yet (and its looking excellent as of today- thank god for cerclages and p17) it fit in the traditional shower window.

You can always have the baby shower in the evening- most kids birthday parties are morning/afternoon affairs. It could be fun :)
    Friends for 17 years. Married 10. TTC since Jan 2009.
    3 IVFs, 4 FETs, 11 transferred embryos, 3 losses (c/p, 6w, 17w)
    2012: Lost "Peanut" at 17weeks to PTL/IC.
     Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    2013: IVF#3/FET#4  Elisabeth CJ born April 30, 2014
    Cerclage, P17, and 3 months of bed rest brought us our Rainbow.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
     Dum spiro, spero.
  • I agree it sounds too early. All three of my showers were in my third trimester and I was still plenty comfortable to enjoy them. Unless you're high-risk or there are travel issues, I don't see much reason to have a shower at 20 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"