Toddlers: 24 Months+

Hitting for no reason at all...really

So ds has been hitting random kids pretty much everywhere we go, for no reason. For instance we were at the library earlier this week and some kid walked by, made no eye contact or anything with him and he smacked him, just out of the blue, for no reason. today when i picked him up from the gym childcare they said he was hitting random kids, same thing at the playplace earlier this week, he never really hits the kids we know or have play dates with and he usually picks the older ones, i have tried time-outs, and i have tried ignoring it, which is really hard to do when you have to apologize to the kids parents for what your child did, i know it's a phase but does anyone have any ideas on stopping it fairly quickly.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Hitting for no reason at all...really

• DS was doing this same thing.  He was never doing it out of anger or anything, he just went up and hit other kids (weirdo! haha).  Anyways, I would shadow him so that right when he did it, I could address it.  I always grabbed his hand and said "No hitingt.  Be nice!" and then made him "apologize" which meant either hugging the other child or stroking their arm.  If he kept doing it, I'd pull him away and make him sit with me and watch the other kids play for a few minutes.  Luckily it was pretty short lived and he never does it now.  I think it he mostly did it to see what kind of reaction he'd get.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DS will do this, but not to other kids, just to us. I was sitting on the floor with him yesterday and he walked up to me and slapped me in the face. He has done it to his sister many times, usually with objects- OW! We always give him an automatic time out and very sternly say NO. Then when the TO is over we talk about how it really hurts when he hits us. He's not getting it yet, but I'm hoping soon he'll understand. 
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Loading the player...
  • Hmm... I am not sure if I can offer any advice other then do you think something is bugging him, is he tired, hungry or something else?

Personally, my DD doesn't hit UNTIL she is overtired and then it is only sometimes will she hit. 

Good luck with it, I know it can be tough at times when they are hitting!
  • Are you potty training? My DD went through a hitting phase and no matter what we tried it didn't stop until we decided to give her complete control of the potty (not asking her if she had to go etc). I didn't realize it until after, but once we gave her the indpendence she potty trained and stopped hitting. I've heard others having the same issue. I agree with shawdowing and calmly correcting the behavior, but I would try and do everything you can to empower your kid. Choices, set up containers and bowls that he can reach and let him get his own cereal, let him pick out his clothes etc.
    DD Nov 2010 ~ DS June 2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"