Breastfeeding
Options

Over Supply

Hey ladies, 
My little guy was born early at 33 weeks so he is currently in the NICU. He's doing great just working on his feedings. I have been pumping every 3-4 hours and bring the milk to the hospital. I pump for about 15mins each. I am pumping between 8-10oz plus each time. Way more then my little man is eating. I was wondering if I should just continue what I'm doing or if I should cut back. I don't want to chance hurting my supply. But my LO is only about two weeks old and my freezer is getting full already. 
Any advice would be great. Thanks

Re: Over Supply

• Options
    i would keep doing what you're doing. you have to keep nursing/pumping a lot in the early weeks to establish your supply.

if you're going to be working, it might be helpful to have that large freezer stash. or you might consider donating some milk- maybe you could ask around in the NICU? you can also check out human milk 4 human babies- they have community pages on facebook where you can offer up milk for donation to someone in your area.
  • Options
    I am not sure what the correct answer is, but I've currently been in the same situation. My baby is 3 weeks old and was born at 34w5d and was in the NICU, so I started pumping every 2-3 hours, then cut back to 3-4 when it became apparent I had an abundance of milk (I was pumping 8-10 or more oz per session and my freezer is nearly full). Now that I've had him solely on the breast and nursing well and gaining for the past week I am weaning off the pump gradually. I'm pumping every 5 hours and seeing a decrease in engorgement, now trying to remove only 6 oz at a time. So the cutting back is definitely having an effect.

Personally, I was afraid to pump too much less until I had LO nursing well 100% and demonstrating weight gain, even though I developed a huge oversupply. Can you talk to a lactation consultant associated with your hospital? I did and received mixed instructions but a little professional guidance is worthwhile.
        image  image

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"