September 2013 Moms
Options

S/O What stories were you told that weren't true?

JLMcWeeneyJLMcWeeney member
edited February 2014 in September 2013 Moms
There was plenty of things my parent lied to me about that They just made up for fun. I'm not sure why, but I remember it being fun. So please share anything stupid or crazy your parents told you existed that never really did.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
fittest mom photo FITTEST-MOM_zps2351b4e2.gif

Re: S/O What stories were you told that weren't true?

• Options
    JLMcWeeneyJLMcWeeney member
    edited February 2014
    My dad used to tell me the crusts of the bread had the most vitamins in them and were super healthy to get us to eat the crusts. It took me until I was in my teens to really think about that and realize it is all the same bread.

I remember my grandpa told me a bear lived on top of their house. I was too short to see very high, but I was sure he wasn't lying.

My parents also told me if I make a funny face and someone hit me in the back it would stay like that. I was making a funny face once and my sister hit my back. It was a very horrifying couple of seconds. Lol
  • Options
    I was told that chewing on my hair would turn to worms in my stomach. I stopped immediately!

Also- my dad and grandpa went on a hunting trip and came home with a deer. My grandpa told me my dad shot Bambi's mom. I was furious and wouldn't talk to my dad for quite some time. Now that I'm thinking about that I wonder if that has something to do with me being a vegetarian most of my life...hum??
    I'm lame and can't get my sig to work. This will have to do...

It's a Girl! Due September 28th!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My grandma said bread crusts would make my hair grow long.

Also that carrots make you see in the dark.
  • Options
    @HBirdie my grandmother told me about the carrots as well!

My friends mom told me that biting my nails would grow worms in my belly and that it was true because it was on the news
  • Options
    The Easter Bunny lives on the moon.  Oh, and when my dad went on business trips he told me he was touring with his band - he said he was the guitarist for UB40.

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • Options
    I don't have any that I remember being told, but my best friends dad told her that garbage truck men had threir nostrils removed and that how they could bare standing on the back of the truck. Poor girl somehow managed to stand up and tell this to her entire classroom soon after! Also I told her son (my godson) that puppies came from coconuts. They had a dog at the time named Coconut and we were standing near a coconut tree one day, so I convinced him that when a coconut falls and opens up, a puppy comes out :)
  • Options
    I sucked my thumb as a child and my stepdad told me that if I kept doing it my thumb would grow longer than my other one. I was constantly checking the size to be sure.

BFP #1 11/07/2012 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C 11/22/2012

BFP #2 02/05/2013 EDD 09/19/2013 Arrived via c-section 09/27/2013

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    My dad and grandpa had a ton of ridiculous things they told me. One thing is that we used to drive by this big water tower that was painted with rainbow colors and kind of looked like an air balloon. My dad told me that when I was little we painted it together and convinced me to the point that I could "remember" doing it. No idea why he'd lie about it!

My grandpa used to say that the sewage treatment ponds we passed on the way down to his house were full of alligators and that they would come all the way into town and live in the big culverts under the main roads. One of these culverts was right by his bother's house so whenever we were there, he'd always try to trick me into going in the culvert.

I guess my sister did this a lot too, she told me all my toys came to life at night so I'd try soooooo hard to stay awake to catch them. I would of course fall asleep and then she'd move them all over the room and flip on the lights and go, "Look! They were running around! You missed them again!" and I would get so upset that I missed it! She also said she had met all the NKOTB and that they visited her school and I was so jealous. She was 7 years older than me so I thought everything she did was awesome and I'd believe whatever she said, lol
  • Options
    I can only remember things other parents told my friends.

One pregnant (with twins) mom told her kids that she didn't have sex to get these babies. She made them believe she was some sort of born-again-virgin Mary and God gave her two more babies to raise. This just doesn't make sense to me because if they should ever learn about sex, wouldn't she want it to be their parents having it for the sake of creating a life. As compared to a movie or school where it's a scandalous thing.

My aunt told my sister that if she ate dirt or drank mud it would make her skinny. I don't know why. But my sister was 13 and having weight issues so she drank it. It gave her ringworm. Thanksalot!
  • Options
    My mom told me that drinking coffee would stunt my growth.

I believed the "step on a crack, break your mother's back" thing for awhile. I remember crying when I stepped on one once.

A kind of a sad one, my mom used to tell me that Santa didn't have the toys that they sold at toys r us or we saw on tv, he only had special handmade/ older things. She told us this because we didn't have much money and she didn't want us to be distraught if we didn't get the expensive toy we wanted.

• Options
    I remembered one my DHs mom told him. On their way to a lake they visited frequently in the summer there was an area tht had a cliff you drive next to. Before the cliff there was a sign that said "beware of falling rocks near cliff". She convinced her kids that cliff wa a troll an they had to hurry past so he wouldn't throw rocks at them.

Oh and DHs sister would wake him up screaming that the house was on fire. Just so be a mean older sister. He is the baby by about 7 years. He got picked on a lot.
  • Options
    My dad used to make us mac & cheese with a drop or two of green food coloring added to it.  He'd tell us that he made it with green cheese that came from the moon.  

BFP #1 26May12 - EDD 27Jan13 - DX blighted ovum 12Jul12 - M/C 2Aug12 
    BFP #2 13Jan13 - EDD 22Sep13 - DD born 20Sep2013!
    BFP #3 23Jul15 - EDD 1Apr16 - 
  • Options
    My brother asked my mom in the grocery store why ground beef is called grind chuck. My mom and the butcher convinced my brother (who was about 5 at the time) that every night the butcher goes out and rounds up a bunch of guys named Chuck and grinds them up which is why my parents didn't name him Chuck. He believed it for years.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"