Breastfeeding
Options

do I just keep feeding him?

My 2 week old has been eating all day (or so it seems) both yesterday and today. Unless I put him in his crib he will just keep sucking (and swallowing)

At first he will often latch, swalliw, and disconnect at first but then go back on. Once he gets started he will keep going until I remove him to burp him. Then hr will root again.

Thing is... he will do this until hr spits up and then want to start again.

He does this morning and night.

Im cobfused. Do I have a supply issue (dont know if ut would be over or under!). Its the spitting up that has me concerned most - should I put a time limit on nursing and then put him to bed or do I let him keep going even though he will spit up a again?

Thanks in addvance for any advice!
Rachel (a.k.a. The Analytical Mommy.com and @analyticalmommy on IG)
I'm just trying to make sense of things :-) 

Re: do I just keep feeding him?

• Options
    Babies have a ton of growth spurts in the first few months of life. If he's actively eating and swallowing,just keep feeding him. I know it's really rough, but it's temporary - I promise it will get better!! As long as he's having the appropriate amount of wet and dirty diapers, I wouldn't worry about your supply. Some babies spit up more than others, and it's usually not indicative of a problem. My son spit up almost every time he burped for the first month or so. It seems like a lot, but it's usually less milk than you think it is.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Yep I agree with Theresat.  Mostly likely a growth spurt.  

Keep feeding him when he wants to eat.  It will help establish your supply for the future.  Babies know when they are full & will stop.  I think there are some rare babies who will "binge" on a regular basis, but you really won't know if that is your baby until he gets a bit bigger and you get to know his personality better.  I wouldn't limit eating right now.  He needs the nourishment.  The worse that will happen is you'll go through a lot of cloths/burb cloths from the spit up. 

Put on a good movie, get comfortable & enjoy the time cuddling and feeding your LO. I promise there will be a day when you'll miss all the cuddles. 

image imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks everyone! I can't believe that I didn't think of a growth spurt! That makes sense :)

With my first, we practically had to force feed him - he just refused to eat so this LO is such a change! I worried i was over feeding him. Thank you!!

At this rate, i'm going to need to find some more TV shows to watch! 
  • Options
    I've been reading the wonder weeks and it has really helped get me through those growth spurt periods!
  • Options
    I get worried during growth spurts too. Just keep feeding him when he wants to. It's good you get more time to bond with your LO. :)
  • Options
    It sounds like a growth spurt to me  Definitely keep nursing on demand and don't' put a time limit on it.  

My son also did this too and everyone said it was a growth spurt and he was actually tongue-tied and lip tied as well.  I'm sure it was a growth spurt too, but it never ended.  Not saying that your little one is, but if things don't settle down a little bit after this growth spurt, explore other possibilities.  
    PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

• Options
    Agree with previous comments about the growth spurt.  My doctor always says that if they spit up and don't seem upset by it, then don't worry about it. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks! Tonight LOs stomach was rumbling but he wasnt able to get abythibg feom me (I didnt feel full and he wasn't making swallowing sounds) after a while I caved and gave him a bottle :(

I feel so bad about it but he was sooooo hungry!
  • Options
    Thank you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"