Special Needs
Options

Kick me and tell me I'm being too sensitive.

edited February 2014 in Special Needs
So dd never wears a winter coat or gloves. She has sensory issues and she screams and rips them off so I do layers instead with a vest on top. Her teacher asked me about it and I explained how its difficult to get clothes on her never mind a heavy jacket. Today the school social worker called and shared some resources to help out. I know I should feel like they're being nice and trying to help me solve an issue I vented about but it made me feel like I couldn't properly care for my kid or something. Tell me I'm being foolish please.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Kick me and tell me I'm being too sensitive.

• Options
    ToastieSimonsToastieSimons member
    edited February 2014
    If you're foolish so am I.

Every day I drop DS1 off at school.  He's in a carseat so I don't put a coat on him.  In the winter they don't take him outside at school so he does'nt really need a coat.  So I take him out of the car, carry him to the stroller and put him and then lay the coat across him.  And everyday I put him in the stroller and the aide says "oh my DS1 we have to hurry you have no coat and MUST be freezing!"  First off, it's a 25 minute ride with the heat on.  2nd, he's a 30 second walk inside.  You can put his coat on and off a million times if you want, but I don't.  and it always just rubs me the wrong way.  Like I don't have the common sense to put a coat on my kid.
    To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Options

It's normal to have those feelings. Oy, I'd be embarrassed! But I would simply explain the situation to the social worker and thank them for their concern. How cold is it where you are? DS isn't a fan of cold weather gear either, but it is a necessity here in MN where it has been below zero most of the winter. They go outside when the wind chill is at least 0 degrees. I've received some notes when he forgot his snow pants- they still make him go out, and he has to borrow a pair from the lost and found. They are very strict about clothing. If he had serious sensory issues I'd probably have to add it to his IEP to get a variance from clothing rules. We've been getting notes about his shoes. They keep falling off because he is always on his toes and he doesn't have the dexterity to pull the velcro strap very hard. I've asked them to help us out- and they're doing an ABA approach to him taking his boots off and shoes on each morning when he gets to school. And I am always on the hunt for better shoes.

Clothing drama sucks. Try not to let it bother you!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    More foolish-ness here. :)
    DS doesn't like anything long-sleeved - period. With the polar vortex this year, we've now fought and negotiated to the point where he will put on a jacket (anything long sleeved with a zipper is a jacket btw) as long we clarify that he can take it off when we get where we are going. But once he is at school he takes everything off down to his t-shirt. His teacher always seems concerned about the fact that he's in a short-sleeve. And it is not cold in their room.
    I try not to take it as a comment on my parenting but it's annoying all the same.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    -auntie- said:
    I don't understand. Was the resource to get her a heavy winter coat and gloves because they assumed you couldn't afford to or were to clueless to think of it? Or was it some interventional help to get her to a place where she could be OK wearing the gear suited to her climate?

DS wasn't a huge fan of hats, gloves and bulky/noisy outerwear. He was one of those perpetually bald-headed babies that old ladies were always declaring in need of a hat. No happening. Part of the issue was that he does not process or experience temperature as mortals do; like a lot of kids on spectrum he runs really warm. IME, it was worth working on expanding his ability to wear the more expected range of clothing, but it was never our only focus. 

Well her teacher tried to give me a coat yesterday--I'm guessing they assumed I didn't have one for her. I thanked them because she was happily wearing it and explained that while she does have a big coat she just refuses it and if she would actually wear the extra coat they had for any period of time I would gladly accept. Of course in front of her teacher she was a perfect angel until we got halfway to the car and she was screaming like I beat her and ripping it off. Lol. I really feel like when I ask for advice that we're on two different pages. She's so compliant and social at school so when I ask for advice on issues we have at home her teachers are like really??!!? We don't see that at all. Sigh. Lol I think it was more the line of intervention to help her (or I hope) as yesterday was 35 out and they go outside on days that temperature or warmer but it still rubbed me the wrong way and it probably shouldn't have.
  • Options
    I feel your pain.  Chris will wear a coat but it has to be zipped up just so.  Not halfway open, otherwise it's all "wrong" and he gets upset.  Forget about a hat or gloves.  DH fought with him for an hour to try to get him to wear some over Christmas break when we were up in VT but it was an hour of hearing him scream his head off and ultimately not wearing them.  

I think maybe they should've started by simply asking why your daughter doesn't wear a coat.  Maybe what they should've offered is help to get her to tolerate wearing one not just assuming you couldn't or wouldn't get one for her.  I think you were justified in feeling a little weird by it.

Best of luck!
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'd be upset too. They mean well but they just don't understand. Just keep doing what you need to do. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Not too sensitive. Maybe it's just me, as an adoptive parent, but whenever the schoolnwocial worker gets involved, I always feel as though I'm one call away from a CPS report. Luckily, we have lots of friends and our our case worker who'd touch for us a mlin times over and immediately prove a report unfounded, but I'd be highly offended at the suggestion that I didn't bother to make sure my child was dressed appropriately for the weather.
  • Options
    Not too sensitive. Maybe it's just me, as an adoptive parent, but whenever the schoolnwocial worker gets involved, I always feel as though I'm one call away from a CPS report. Luckily, we have lots of friends and our our case worker who'd touch for us a mlin times over and immediately prove a report unfounded, but I'd be highly offended at the suggestion that I didn't bother to make sure my child was dressed appropriately for the weather.
    This. It's the social worker being involved that would bug me. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    11/10/10 The Kid
  • Options
    KC, this is just a thought, but if she is capable of wearing it for the teacher, doesnt it mean that it is not truly sensory? More behavioral? In that case, you may be able to work on changing the behavior? I mean, i dont know how, but if you have an after school ABA team or CBT therapy in place, maybe they could come up with a plan to help you. Not sure, if you are in a climate where this would be priority, what do I know, we're in SoCal, but if you are somewhere where it's freezing, it seems like it must be very stressful not being able to put a coat on your child. Just a thought.
  • Options
    hopanka said:
    KC, this is just a thought, but if she is capable of wearing it for the teacher, doesnt it mean that it is not truly sensory? More behavioral? In that case, you may be able to work on changing the behavior? I mean, i dont know how, but if you have an after school ABA team or CBT therapy in place, maybe they could come up with a plan to help you. Not sure, if you are in a climate where this would be priority, what do I know, we're in SoCal, but if you are somewhere where it's freezing, it seems like it must be very stressful not being able to put a coat on your child. Just a thought.

I never really thought of it but maybe. Or she could be just so distracted that its on her mind less than at home. We don't do aba. We are in a climate where it does get cold but it really doesn't affect our lives. On the exceptionally cold days she's only going in and out of the car and isn't spending any period of time outside and it's not like she'd even wear a winter coat in her car seat anyway. On snow days ds and I play outside while she takes her two hour nap. When its 40 or better she can handle being outside in a long sleeve shirt, fleece sweatshirt and vest for 15 minutes without fear of hypothermia.
  • Options

I debated posting, but thought that some of you probably are not aware that in many states (mine included), as a mandated reporter I am legally required to report to our school social worker when a child comes to school without proper clothing for the temperature.  In our state, if a child comes to school 3 times without a coat when the weather is below 40, it has to be reported.  The social worker is then legally required to contact the family and offer assistance.  As a teacher, I don't get to make a "judgement call" about it.  It is law is very black and white and like it or not, I have to follow it or risk losing my job and certification. 

Does it stink, yes, but I agree with a pp in being proactive and talking to your child's teacher and IEP manager about this if you know clothing is an area of struggle.  You can avoid the social worker call because an action plan can be formulated.

• Options

I debated posting, but thought that some of you probably are not aware that in many states (mine included), as a mandated reporter I am legally required to report to our school social worker when a child comes to school without proper clothing for the temperature.  In our state, if a child comes to school 3 times without a coat when the weather is below 40, it has to be reported.  The social worker is then legally required to contact the family and offer assistance.  As a teacher, I don't get to make a "judgement call" about it.  It is law is very black and white and like it or not, I have to follow it or risk losing my job and certification. 

Does it stink, yes, but I agree with a pp in being proactive and talking to your child's teacher and IEP manager about this if you know clothing is an area of struggle.  You can avoid the social worker call because an action plan can be formulated.

I'm actually really glad you posted. It being a policy the school follows makes me feel like less of a crappy mom. In my everyday life it never really was a battle worth fighting because it didn't have that negative an impact on our lives. If this is going to be an issue every school year Maybe it is a battle I want to fight at three. Thank you so much for the insight/commiseration everyone.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"