3rd Trimester

1 hr. glucose challenge test

I had my glucose challenge test (the 1 hour one), and I got caught right at the borderline (140). :( So I'm due for the 3 hr. one this Saturday. Sigh...
I'm a bit worried that I may have developed gestational diabetes. I went on an empty stomach on the morning of the test, and some of my friends are saying I probably shouldn't have done it. They're saying drinking so much sugar on an empty stomach will just drive up the glucose level. Do you think it's true...?

Re: 1 hr. glucose challenge test

• I fasted, but my friend did not and we both failed the 1 hour test. If you have GD, then you have it. There's no other way around it. I have it and am meeting with the nurse today!
    May 14 Jan Siggy Challenge New Years resolutions I will not keep: Saving Money
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicAnniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would ask your doctor what they recommend as far as empty vs full stomach. I think I've read you need to fast beforehand but ask your doctor what they want done. As much as getting the diagnosis would be terrible having it go untreated would be far worse so do what needed to get the most accurate reading.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    The bumpie formerly known as First Time in MI
  • Loading the player...
  • I failed my 1 hour test with a 154.  Took my 3 hour test and passed with flying colors.  It's common to fail the 1 hour test and pass the 3 hour.  In fact, when I was going through this, I read that only about 1/3 of the women who take the 3 hour test will end up failing.  Good luck!
  • I've had people say both things to me about why I failed the 1 hour. literally the exact opposite advice. if you eat before you go, you'll fail! if you fast before you go, you'll fail! nobody seems to actually know one way or the other.

i failed my one hour with a 183, and then passed the 3 hours with no problem. i think you either have it or you don't and that's that. try not to stress, chances are you'll pass the 3 hour, most people do.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I went after work (so was very hungry and thirsty since I eat lunch at 11:00) and I passed. I chugged that orange drink so fast too because I was so thirsty... So I don't think the fasting vs. eating thing is true.
  • I had my one hour test at 8:30 on a Saturday morning, I did not eat anything & even the night before I avoided dessert at a party. My test was low actually, I don't remember the exact # (maybe 80? It was a couple months ago so u don't recall the exact #), but I passed.
    I've heard a lot of people that fail the 1 hour and pass the 3 hour.
  • Thank you for the replies. I'm not trying to cheat the test - in fact, why would I want to cheat it if it has to do with my baby? I was just wondering if me not eating anything has something to do with it. Thanks again ladies!
  • If you fasted for more than12 hours it can cause a rebound when you take the test,but yeah, don't over think it.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was told I didn't have to fast for the 1 hour so I didn't. I failed. Then was told to fast for the three hour. I did and failed. I have GD and if was sad at first but. I've been dealing with it for over a month now, and being on my special diet I feel a lot better. I've been doing what the doctors and nutritionist have been telling me and my numbers are great.
  • I clicked on this board by accident and noticed this post at the top. BUT

You are absolutely not supposed to eat before taking a glucose tolerance test. They want to know how you react to a very specific amount of glucose, not how you react to food plus the glucose in the drink. Fasting is necessary, always. I don't understand why all places don't require it, but it's BS. 

The main reason why so many women fail the 1hr is because they so many places don't require a fast for it, but then require a fast for the 3 hour. Somehow, they're completely missing out on common sense of why you're doing the test in the first place. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I was told to fast for my one hour. It's not uncommon to fail the one hour & pass the three hour.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• curlylocks3curlylocks3 member
    edited February 2014
    ah625 said: I clicked on this board by accident and noticed this post at the top. BUT
    You are absolutely not supposed to eat before taking a glucose tolerance test. They want to know how you react to a very specific amount of glucose, not how you react to food plus the glucose in the drink. Fasting is necessary, always. I don't understand why all places don't require it, but it's BS. 
    The main reason why so many women fail the 1hr is because they so many places don't require a fast for it, but then require a fast for the 3 hour. Somehow, they're completely missing out on common sense of why you're doing the test in the first place. 
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The one hour test the OP is referring to is not a glucose tolerance test, hence not needing to fast.
    image  image
    О Привязать! Z!
    The Science Babies debuted 5/6/14 @ 34 weeks
  • Yeah, it's just not true you always need to fast. Some doctors do advise not to eat for two hours or so before the one hour gct, that seems sensible enough. And I certainly wouldn't down a big gulp on your way to take it.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I failed the one hour, and passed the two hour. I didn't have to fast for the one hour, but did for the two.
    First we had you.

Then we had you.

Now we are complete.

• This is so weird hearing people didn't have to fast. I'm within a whole cluster of preggos with my family & friends and every single one of us had to fast for the glucose test. I passed with an 80 (which surprised me that it wasn't lower since I've always been hypoglycemic) but having to force myself drink that orange drink was GROSS. The flavor was great, it was the afterburn of it going down my throat. YECK!!!!
  • I had to fast before my test, and they just did the 3 hour test, didn't even bother with the 1 hour. They said it eliminates people having to do it twice, since so many people border the line. I passed, and I chugged that drink on an empty stomach. Your body should still be able to process the sugar, no matter what's in your stomach.

Andrew Karol-4/10/2010
    Jase Eli-3/10/14

• ah625ah625 member
    edited February 2014
    ah625 said:
    I clicked on this board by accident and noticed this post at the top. BUT

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The one hour test the OP is referring to is not a glucose tolerance test, hence not needing to fast.

---------------

What post are you reading? She very clearly is talking about gestational diabetes. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • The one hour is a glucose challenge test, not a glucose tolerance test.
  • You should be fasting. They do a fasting number first then blood draws at every hour after.
    I failed both which sucks but barely. My number are great and I haven't changed my diet at all. MFM is actually cutting my testing days back to 2x a day instead if 4.
    GL and if u fail u fail. Better to know because it's a serious thing
    1st loss 8/31
    2nd pregnancy -TWINS lost DD1 twin at 8 weeks 6 days DD1 born 6 weeks early
    3rd pregnancy- TWINS AGAIN lost both babies at 9 week appt
    4th pregnancy- singleton- born at 38 weeks 1 day with the help of weekly 17P injections
    5th pregnancy- CP in June
    6th pregnancy It's a BOY

• That's for the THREE hour. She's asking if fasting could've impacted her ONE hour.
  • @ah625

Omg, what is this?

You don't need to fast before your glucose CHALLENGE test, which is the one hour test. You do need to fast for the glucose TOLERANCE test, which is the three hour. 

They are two different things, Ms. I-know-better-than-all-OBs-everywhere. 

• jennish11 said:
    maelic said:
    @ah625

Omg, what is this?

You don't need to fast before your glucose CHALLENGE test, which is the one hour test. You do need to fast for the glucose TOLERANCE test, which is the three hour. 

This!  The 1 hour glucose challenge test you do not need to fast.
    I received this information from my nurse, my OB, my midwife, and the technician drawing my blood.
    AND Dr. Google even has some very nice articles from well reputable medical institutes stating the same thing:

1-hour Glucose Challenge Test - no fasting
    2 or 3-hour Glucose Tolerance Test - fasting.
    Agreed!

When I went in for the one hour test, they only cared if I ate anything within the past half hour. I didn't, but I did have breakfast about an hour and a half before which included my one small iced latte of the day. I wasn't aware I had to take the test that day. I failed the test. The cut off at my hospital is 130, my reading came out to 135. I had to do a 3 hour test the next week after following an extra carb diet for 3 days. Out of the 4 blood draws I only had one high reading and was cleared for not having gestational diabetes. 2 or more high readings are cause for concern. I've heard from my cousin who is a nurse at a women's center that many people who fail the 1 hour screening, pass the 3 hour test. So don't stress until you need to. 
  • maelic said:

@ah625

Omg, what is this?

It truly depends on lab instructions. I was asked to fast for both...

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I go in for my 1-hour test in two weeks.  My instructions were that it was fine to eat before the test, but I should avoid anything with added sugars (she basically said no sugar cereal and no orange juice right beforehand and I should be fine.)
  • I was told to avoid all carbs, including fruit. I was questioned about what I ate before they gave me the drink.
    Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Parent of Baby Boy M, born December 2013 Angels: Miscarriage @ 9 weeks, May 2015, Chemical Pregnancy November 2015

Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • fsumomfsumom member
    edited March 2014
    I was told to not have anything except water after midnight for my 1 hour glucose.  So, I made my appointment at 6:45AM the next morning so I didn't have to go long without eating.  I did pass so I don't think fasting has much to do with it.  By the replies in this thread, it's safe to assume that every OB is different.  I also had to fast for the 1 hour with my DD 7 years ago.
    ~Jessica~ 

• This is my third and I have never had to fast for any of my 1 hour tests. I was asked by the OB for my first pregnancy and by my midwife for my other two (this one included) to eat a small meal first but to avoid too many sweets and carbs. Basically it's not a great idea to chug a root beer or something before hand. She suggested eating eggs and 1 piece of whole grain toast or something. She specifically mentioned no fruit or caffeine. I understand the three hour or 2 hour test requires fasting but I have never had to do them.
    Tristan Phillip - 2 wks
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"