Infertility
Options

How do your meds make you feel?

I know everybody is different and everyone's on a different cocktail & dosage, but how do your meds affect you? Since this is my first IVF cycle, I don't know if I'm over-dramatizing my reactions or what. I feel totally drained for one thing. I had hot flashes in the beginning. I feel like my ovaries are watermelons. Ganirelix made me nauseous and have bad headaches. My 2 trigger shots made me hot & nauseous.... I guess I'm just looking for a little validation as to whether I'm a major drama queen or not. LOL!! Plus I feel like a busted can of biscuits in my clothes so that's not helping.... Humor appreciated here, ladies- give it to me straight. :)

Re: How do your meds make you feel?

• Options
    keziah23keziah23 member
    edited February 2014
    exhaustion was #1 for me this cycle, doc said that was the estrogen
    next was feeling muddle headed and having bad memory
    less headaches this cycle than previous
    lots of nausea, especially towards the end
    hungry
    insomnia
    leg cramps
    bloating

oh and GAS lots and lots of gas, not stinky, just lots of it. 
    Me 39, DH 40
    Male Factor (severe oligospermia) 
    IVF#1-December 2013: Conversion Protocol @ SIRM, Canceled on day 10 of stims due to poor response
    IVF#2- February 2014:  Estrogen Priming Conversion Protocol @ SIRM (ER 2/22: (9R, 7M, 4F, All arrested, nothing to trasnfer)
    IUI#1-May 28, 2014- 100mg clomid, HCG Trigger, 100mg progesterone oral--BFN
    IUI#2-June 24, 2014- non medicated, HCG 2,500mg x 4 doses (over a week), Endometrium- BFN
    Suprise BFP- September 1, 2014- miscarriage at 5 weeks. 

• Options
    You're not crazy or dramatizing it at all!! I have experienced all of the above at one point or another throughout all of this. Keep your eyes on the prize. It will be worth it!
    **SIGGY WARNING**

Me: 32 DH: 35  TTC#1 since March 2012
    Dx: Poor Embryo Quality, Arcuate Uterus, Poor Uterine Blood Flow, Mild Endo, 
           Protein S Deficiency, Sjorgen's Syndrome 

IUI #1-5: BFN
    Laparoscopy & Hysteroscopy: minimal endo, partial septoplasty
    IVF #1: 10R/6M/6F ~ Day 3 ET = BFN
    IVF #2: 14R/9M/5F ~ transfer canceled ~ all embryos arrested at 1-2 cell stage
    IVF #3: 9R/5M/5F ~ 1 frosty!
    IVF #4 (FET #1): BFN

IVF #5 (DE IVF #1 with Dr. KK protocol): Currently PREGNANT!!!!!!
    Synthroid + Prednisone + Metformin + Baby Aspirin + Supplements Galore = 15+ pills a day
    Lupron + Lovenox + Delestrogen + IVIG + B/W = 2-5 pokes a day
    19R, 17M, 17F - transferred two Grade A blasts 11/16, four frosties!!!
    Beta #1 11/24 (13dpo/8dp5dt) = 367 ~ Beta #2 11/26 (15dpo/10dp5dt) = 709
    Beta #3 11/29 (18dpo/13dp5dt) = 1,997 ~ Beta #4 12/1 (20dpo/15dp5dt) = 3,403

imageimageimage

My Blog: Running and Dreaming for Two ~ All are Welcome!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I pretty much felt all of those for my first cycle.  Around day 2-3 of stims, I had the WORST headache.  I used to get migraines regularly and this headache was probably one of the most painful I've ever had.  The nurse said it was attributable to the sudden increase in e2.  It was so bad that I truly felt like I wouldn't be able to go through another IVF cycle.  Other than that, I'd say a general feeling of fogginess and bloat were pretty constant for me.  You are not being a drama queen!  You're putting your body through a lot!
    TTC since 5/2012
    12/12: c/p
    4/13: c/p

8/13: Started seeing RE; DX: Unexplained IF, RPL testing normal, SA perfect.
    Oct - Dec '13: Clomid 25 mg + Ovidrel + IUI = BFN
    2/14: IVF #1 Gonal F + Menopur + Ganirilex + Lupron trigger w/ HCG boost= 28R, 11M, 5F. 5dt 4BB, 1 frozen 4BB
    . BFN
    4/14: IVF #2 Saizen, Gonal F, Menopur, Ganirilex = 20R, 10M, 10F.  5dt of 2 4AB, 2 frozen 4BB.  +HPT 4dp5dt, Beta 4/26

• Options
    You're totally not alone here. It feels like the plague mixed with exhaustion and over heating 24/7. Just know it's temporary and we are all here for you . Good luck!

IVF #1 Oct 2013- cancelled 
    IVF #2 Mar 2014- success.... baby girl born 11/28/14
    FET #1 Mar 2016- baby boy due 12/16/16

• Options
    Thanks so much ladies- I triggered last night and ER is tomorrow so I'm just feeling the pressures. Got a massive headache today from it and am feeling overwhelmed.
    @keziah23 - DH thought the gas was just me trying to pull one over on him. Lol! I had to read that part to him!! :)
  • Options
    pblgepblge member
    edited February 2014
    This way!
    **********************siggy/ticker warning**********************

***Losses mentioned.*** TTC #1 since May 2012. Me: 37, OH: 41. Ectopic August 2012 => tubal damage. :'(  Stage 1 endo removed June 2013. IVF #1 Oct/Nov 2013: Long Lupron with Gonal-F. 7R, 7M, 7F. 2 txfer@3d. Nothing frozen.  => M/C @ 8 wks. :'( Selected RPL panel all normal. Very hyper and brittle response to stims. IVF #2 (antagonist protocol) Feb 2014 => Converted to IUI (Perfect conditions). BFN. IVF #2.1 w/ new RE June 2014: Antagonist protocol. 33R, 31M, 30F, 19 blasts to test!!! I made it through without crashing!! :) Hats off to Dr. Fancypants!! ET of one 5AB blast. BFN. 13 10 CCS'ed snowflakes! FET #1 PUPO as of 7/29 Betas: 8/7@24, 8/9@97, 8/11@334 (etc.) Two sacs on 8/15, one seen on 8/18 after a bleed. U/s 8/25 (6+3) "perfect": 5.9 mm + HB@120bpm! U/s 9/4 (7+6): 15.9 mm + HB@172 bpm! Please, PLEASE stick this time!!!!
    http://i955.photobucket.com/albums/ae39/catfreeburg/866da40f5178fed79efe23fc8a4e8a_zps4498a9cc.jpgimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Yep, I'm feeling all if the above. I'm blessed to have my job and my boss, because he approved me working from home during stims. It's so much better to wear yoga pants and take conference calls laying down. And of course not being ragey or crying with my coworkers.
    Pregnancy Ticker

TTC #1 since June 2012
    Me (28) - DOR (AFC <10, undetectable AMH, >10 FSH), homozygous E429A MTHFR
    DH (29) - MFI low count and morphology

September 2013 IUI#1 - Clomid + Trigger + IUI = BFN
    October 2013 IUI#2 - Letrozole + Menopur + Trigger + IUI = BFN

Nov 2013 IVF/ICSI #1 - Protocol: BCP prep, high doses Menopur and Bravelle (12 days), ganirelex
    Results: 5 retrieved / mature, 4 fertilized, 1 arrested and 3 complex abnormal after day 3 PGS = Cancelled after ER
    Jan/Feb 2014 IVF/ICSI #2 - Protocol: Estrogen priming, high doses Menopur and Bravelle (11 days), microdose lupron
    Results: Cancelled after 11 days of stims due to low response and E2 levels
    Feb 2014 IVF/ICSI #3 - Protocol: No prep, low dose Menopur (6 days), ganirelex, Bravelle booster with trigger
    Results: 1 retrieved / 0 mature = Cancelled after ER

Officially moving on to embryo adoption! We used and love Embryo Adoption Services of Cedar Park
    October 2014 FET #1 - BCP/Lupron/Estrace/Prometrium, transferred 2 of 4 from match #1, BFN
    December 2014 FET #2 - BCP/Lupron/Estrace/Prometrium, transferred 2 of 4 from match #1, BFN
    March 2015 FET #3 - BCP/Lupron/Estrace/Prometrium, transferred 2 of 6 from match #2, BFN
    May 2015 FET #4 - BCP/Lupron/Estrace/Prometrium, lost 2 to thaw, transferred 2 of 6 from match #2, BFN
    October 2015 FET #5 - Natural cycle, lost 1 from match #3 and 1 from clinic backup to thaw, transferred 1 backup, BFN
    February 2016 FET #6 - Natural cycle, transferred 1 from match #4, B FREAKING P!
    Beta 1 = 162, Beta 2 = 316, doubling just over 48 hours

• Options

@princesspix - Bloated, tired and extremely irritable (only towards DH - lucky him!).  I slept like a baby every night (but woke frequently when a toot slipped out).  I was afraid I would wake DH with my gas! :-O

Good luck with your ER tomorrow!

f/k/a/ Kari3629

Me: 40/DH: 34

Unexplained IF

IVF #1 - 9/2013 8ER/5M/4EF/4ET = BFN

IVF #2 - 2/2014 - Fingers crossed this is the one!

4ER/3EF/3 "beautiful embryos" transferred - Beta March 7 = BFN :(

Everyone Welcome!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageimage

• Options
    jaztasticjaztastic member
    edited February 2014
    Seriously, I made this blog post the week I was stimming... I thought I was losing it. "So today is definitely a bad day for me. I don't know if its the anxiety or the meds or a combination of it all. But HOLY HORMONES!! I just don't remember it being like this on my first IVF. But maybe my body is different now. First the headache started then came the nausea. Now I suffer from migraines (even more so while on BCP), so I could get passed that. But the bloating got to me and nothing fit right. Now Im not sure if anyone else can relate or if this is all in my head, but I could swear I feel the pressure from my ovaries. I got OHSS on my first IFV so I constantly panic about that. Then the weepiness started. Everything was making me so emotional and brought me to tears. Then I got pissed at myself. I was being a nut case and I knew it, but I couldn't stop it. I said I wasn't going to feel sorry for myself but I felt so low. And it was draining, all the different emotions really had me wanting to just curl up and take a nap. I just wanted to let this all out to somebody, anybody who might be able to relate. lol I dont know anyone who is going through IF so although my closest friends give me the "aww its going to be okay" or "I hope you feel better" ... they dont truly get how some days you just want to scream at all the frustrations. I promise Im not like this all the time (ending post soon because Im rambling now), but today was most definitely one of those days. Okay Im done. lol " ETA: I hope you feel better soon... Sorry for the long paragraph. (I'm mobile)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Waited a long time, tried a lot of stuff, science made me a mom.
     Loss and IF veteran. Current mom of DS 5.5, DD 2, and sometimes DH 40. Due June 2021 with TWINS
  • Options
    @PrincessPix, I'm sorry you're feeling so crummy. I'm glad you asked this question, I'm quite nervous about the unknown for my first IVF cycle which will be coming up in a month or so. I hope today's a better day for you and you're feeling a bit better. FX!!

• Options
    Headaches & exhaustion were on the top of the list for me, followed by irritability & bloating.  It all sucks but hopefully will be worth it in the end!! 

Me (36) - LOR, DH (34) - MFI (low count & poor motility)

TTC since 01/2012

11/2012-04/2013 Unmonitored Clomid cycles through OB/GYN; Referred to RE

05/2013-Benched due to cyst

06/2013 - Clomid 50 mg + HCG Trigger + TI = BFN

07/2013 - Clomid 50 mg + HCG Trigger + IUI #1 = BFN

08/2013 - Clomid 50 mg + HCG Trigger + IUI #2 = BFN

09/2013 - Benched for lap & hysteroscopy (Stage II Endo Removed)

10/2013 - Menopur + HCG Trigger + IUI #3 = BFN

11/2013 - Menopur + HCG Trigger + IUI #4 = BFN

12/2013 - Clomid + HCG Trigger + IUI #5 = BFN

2/2014 - IVF #1 - Microdose Lupron Flare Protocol - 5R/4M/4F w/ICSI; 2 embies transferred on day 3 (none to freeze)

2/27/14 - First BFP Ever!!!  EDD 11/3/14

• Options
    **lurker coming out of hiding**

You know the end of "Harry Potter & The Half-Blood Prince," when [spoiler??] Harry has to keep forcing Dumbledore to drink the potion in the cave? Yeah. That's how I felt about my stims after about 4 days :)

My husband enjoyed that metaphor immensely, and would cheer me on, saying, "you're doing so good! This is the last one, I promise." 

As a side note, my nurses acted like it was so unusual that I had bad headaches and I bloated so much, so it's nice to hear other people confirm that those AREN'T unusual symptoms. :)
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    19-year history of endometriosis. Multiple surgeries and cyst removals. Forced directly into IVF due to blocked tubes and severe adhesions.
    IVF w/ICSI and CCS #1 - Dec 2013 - Only 1 normal. Ended in CP
    IVF w/ICSI and CCS #2, at CCRM - March 2014!
    14R, 12 ICSI'd, 11F, 6 for CCS, 5 healthy blasts frozen!
    Two 5BB blasts transferred 9/10; First beta 9/19: 109; second beta 9/22: 550!
    EDD: 5/29/15

imageimage

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    For me it has been the exhaustion, moodiness and the bloating - oh good lord the bloating!  I have been wearing the same 1 pair of jeans when I go out constantly because it is all that fits comfortably other than sweats!  

Poor DH has to deal with my moods - fine one minute, bawling the next or worse, yelling at him over nothing at all.

***signature/ticker warning***
    Me:37 DH:39
    TTC#1 since 3/2012

Diagnosis : Unexplained Infertility

3 BFN rounds Clomid + IUI
    IVF 1 - BFN, 1 Frozen
    IVF 2 - BFN, 5 Frozen
    FET 1 - BFP!!! EDD 1/24/15 Beta 1: 700, Beta 2: 2,156; 1st U/S 6w3d: HB 118bpm, 2nd U/S 9w3d: HB 171bpm

imageimageimage
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Sunny BSunny B member
    edited February 2014

I was shocked that I didn't feel many side effects with the drugs I took (Gonal F, Menapur, Ganirelix, Steroids, doxy), until the HCG Trigger. My side effects during stims were basically just related to my huge ovaries, but my side effects with the Trigger were bad. I got a horrible hivey rash on my elbows and knees and then OHSS. Boo trigger.

I only talked about physical side effects, the emotional side effects were that I was a crazy person. Everyone at work was hurting my feelings. I was weepy and offended by life.

TTC since May 2012
    Me: 32 H: 31
    DX: MFI-Very Low Count, I have Hashimotos.
    IVF prep September 2013 cancelled due to Ovarian Cyst
    IVF #1 October 2013 Antagonistic Protocol with ICSI  ER 10/31/13 (18R 16M 11F- 6 blasts to freeze)
    ET delayed due to OHSS 
    FET scheduled for July 8. Delayed due to a crazy high TSH (it had been under control for YEARS!)
    FET #1 8/5/14 sET BFN 

All welcome!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"