August 2014 Moms

Team Greeners

Anyone? How many of us are there?

I feel like everyone I know who was going to be team green ultimately chose to find out; there are just a few who actually followed through. We were team green a few years ago with DS, and it was so special.

I find it annoying when people say that they could NEVER wait until the baby was born because they are such planners. I'm a Type A planner myself, and let me assure you, a baby is a baby is a baby regardless of sex or gender, and all generally have the same wants and needs :)

Re: Team Greeners

• We aren't this time.  I promised my DH we could find out this time.  We were the last 2 times.  Honestly, I loved getting to know them and love them without the gender expectations.  I also loved planning for both the first time.  This time, since it's my last, my DH wants to know if he needs to plan for a man cave.  He says if it's a third girl he will need a man cave far from the house.

I never knew anyone who even tried to be green team with my first two pregnancies.  Everyone was shocked some down right hostile that I wasn't finding out...so they could plan.  Silly people.  I wish I thought I could keep the secret...I'd tell everyone we were green team again this time.  But I know the pronoun issue would trip me up.  I'd use the right one instead of struggling with how to refer to the baby.

Honestly, the pronoun issue is the only drawback I see to team green.  I wouldn't use it so I'd use them...then people would freak about twins.  Total loose-loose situation.

• My husband wants to remain team green, I'm all about finding out.  At this point my OB knows because of the MaterniT21 test, but we have had her keep it a secret from us.  I think we might compromise and wait to find out until the a/s, which for us is in April, but for now we are still team green. 

I figure as a FTM there will be plenty of surprises for me in the delivery room & soon after, I'm wanting a surprise now too! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • We're planning on being team green. We found out with our first and this will most likely be our last so I would kind of like the surprise. Doing the nursery is the only thing that's bothering me about it. I painted a mural in our daughters room and want to do the same for this one but I'm having trouble thinking of something neutral that I like. I know if I wait until after the baby's born it probably won't get done.
  • Yes I'm team Green for now. DH wants to find out so we can do the nursery. I'm trying to hold out and I feel like I'm making progress toward getting him to team green. For 2 reasons...Blue is my favorite color so boy or girl the nursery will probably be painted blue. And having gone through IVF, there was very little about the pregnancy that was a surprise since everything was so clinical and planned.
    Me:41  DH: 46 high count but poor motility & morphology
    TTC on and off since 2005

July 2012: Infertility tests started at OB/Gyn, HSG and HSN all clear
    Sept 2012: IUI #1 w/Clomid - BFN
    Oct 2012: IUI #2 w/Clomid - cancelled due to cyst
    Nov 2012: IUI #3 w/Clomid - BFN
    Break to move and find new PCP, OB/Gyn & RE
    Sept 2013: first appt with RE
    Nov / Dec 2013: IVF #1 with ICSI split
      Dec 6: Retrieval, 4 retrieved, 2 mature, 1 fertilized
      Dec 11: Transferred 1 (Day 5)
      Dec 30:  HCG Beta, 4980. BFP!
     1 little bean!
    EDD: August 28 30 2014
    LO Arrived! August 31 2014

All Welcome!

image image
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We didn't find out with DD. The family was nuts when we told them we weren't finding out. We just ignored them.

This time they guessed we'd be stubborn and do the same thing again.
    Not sure why they consider it stubborn. They'll get over it.

I think it was the best thing for us.
    Married April 12
    DD June 13
    #2 EDD 8/8/14 - DS July 14
    2 Furry Kids - 
    Rosco: The most awesome pug ever.
    Pumpkin: The most non-catlike cat ever.  
  • Type A person here and we're Team Green.  I get a lot of comments about how surprised people are that I'm such a planner....but I won't find out the sex. 

I figure this baby will be placed in a box soon enough, so no need to start now.

I had my a/s yesterday and she asked if we wanted to know.  I stayed strong and said no.  But she did use the pronoun "he" about 5 or 10 minutes later.  I'm just going to assume that was a generic "he"...right?  Can someone reassure me of that?
    Yes! The tech had to use some sort of pronoun, and "he" is definitely preferable to "it". :)
  • We found out with our first. We were team green with our second and we will be with this one. It was hard for us, but since I'll have an RCS, we already know the birthdate so there's no surprise there.
    RCS here too -- something's gotta be a surprise!
  • We are team green!! I will say it's a little hard for the planner in me not to know, but I'm loving that we'll have the ultimate surprise in August. Plus, I really don't want the pink overload to happen any sooner than it needs to if we have a girl. I'm not a pink person and really don't want my baby to have a closet full of pink clothes just because she's a girl.

Anyway, I'm all about gender neutral clothes anyway and would probably gravitate toward them even if we did know the gender in advance

• ebp913 said:
    Team green all the way til the end, no questions asked.  I hate finding out early.  I just can't behind the rationale of it's a surprise at 20 weeks or 40 weeks. It is not the same thing. Half of the fun is how mad everyone gets that they don't get to know early too! 
    Agreed!! People get so mad haha.
  • Yes I'm team Green for now. DH wants to find out so we can do the nursery. I'm trying to hold out and I feel like I'm making progress toward getting him to team green. For 2 reasons...Blue is my favorite color so boy or girl the nursery will probably be painted blue. And having gone through IVF, there was very little about the pregnancy that was a surprise since everything was so clinical and planned.
    We painted DS's room a neutral color, and he lived in our room with us for the first few months. The biggies were already picked out (the crib, dresser, changing table) so we just needed room accents like curtains, rug, sheets etc. which we picked out after he was born. It was easy!
  • lburkey21 said:

We are team green!! I will say it's a little hard for the planner in me not to know, but I'm loving that we'll have the ultimate surprise in August. Plus, I really don't want the pink overload to happen any sooner than it needs to if we have a girl. I'm not a pink person and really don't want my baby to have a closet full of pink clothes just because she's a girl.

Anyway, I'm all about gender neutral clothes anyway and would probably gravitate toward them even if we did know the gender in advance

I'm totally with you. And who's to say my little girl can't wear my son's old "Daddy's Little Rookie" pajamas??
  • Team green here, for feminist reasons more than anything else. Why does my baby need gender-specific clothing? Let the gender-stereotyping wait at least a few years before setting in :) My mom has been buying us clothes in shades of green and yellow.

image    image
  • Just changed our mind and joined team green. We found out with DD which was great but this time around we have all the essentials. DD was born via emergency CS. I'm hoping for a VBAC but if I end up with another CS this will be something to look forward to instead of being upset about that. I'll just buy two going home outfits. Once LO is here DH can wash the one we need and return the other. 
  • We were team green the first time and this time. No desire to find out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers daisypath PitaPata Dog tickers PitaPata Dog tickers Unexplained infertility HSG-clear, DH SA-Great 3 cycles Clomid TI with OB/GYN Switched to RE Jan2011 Feb2011 100mg Clomid + trigger + #1 IUI=BFN Mar. 12,2011 100mg Clomid + Estradiol + #2 IUI BFP 3/20/11, Beta #1 12dpiui 174, Beta #2 17dpiui 1660, Beta #3 21dpiui 6687 image
  • We are team green!!! So excited!!
  • We are team green, found out with our first because hubby really wanted to know, this time we are waiting because I wanted to.
  • ValancyyValancyy member
    edited February 2014

We really wanted to find out with DS1, but he didn't cooperate at the US.  It was so fun finding out at the birth we were team green with DS2 and are team green this time too.

I know what you mean about the "planners."  I always want to say...don't get your heart set on finding out the sex, because sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

I would never get any gender specific large ticket items anyway, unless I was 100% sure I was one and done.  You need to re-use that stuff!

ETA:  We were telling DH's grandmother that we weren't going to find out the sex and her reply was "well, that's the way it had to be in my day."  All her kids were born in the forties and fifties.

son#1 born 6/2010

son#2 born 4/2012

son#3 born 7/2014

• team green here. H wants to know but hasn't given me a good enough reason to know before the birth. And since I am carrying this child I trump all right now :-) Our friends think we are nuts and we "are killing them" to make them wait that long .. oh please!! When you have a child you can do it as you wish. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Team Green! I have no idea what the sex might be. I'm thinking more towards girl than boy and BF is thinking girl but I'm uncertain. I also enjoy how upset people get when you don't find out, as if it's their baby to plan for lol at them

I really am excited for delivery when my BF hands me my beautiful baby and tells me the sex. Every time I say this I cry. Damn hormones. Birth is such an intimate experience between significant others in my opinion and I want it to be as special as possible.

I also am excited to maximize ny useful gifts from the baby shower. No baby needs that many clothes that they quickly outgrow and barf all over anyways.

There is plenty of gender neutral clothes, nursery themes, etc. If you say there's not you aren't looking hard enough.
  • Holla! We're team green all the way. In fact if it slips at an u/s appt I'll be liiiivid! So far both my coworkers & 2 friends due before me are all finding out! Lame.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I kind of want to know early, but then I think it would be cool to find out at delivery as well.  H def wants to wait until delivery to find out, so we're doing the team green thing. 

Married since 8.2.08
    DS born 8.11.14
    BFP #2: 9.14.16, EDD: 5.24.17

BabyFruit Ticker
  • andatcdc said:

team green here. H wants to know but hasn't given me a good enough reason to know before the birth. And since I am carrying this child I trump all right now :-) Our friends think we are nuts and we "are killing them" to make them wait that long .. oh please!! When you have a child you can do it as you wish. 

I'm using this on MH tonight. He hasn't given me a good reason either so we're staying Team Green. I have been dreaming for years of having MH tell me the sex of our first child in the delivery room.

Does anybody know if it's easy to accidently see the sex parts at the a/s? Should I warn the tech to tell me when not to look? Before we start, I'm going to tell her to call the baby a 'he' if she must use a pronoun. I too will be LIVID if I find out what we're having in two weeks.

Me:35 DH:37
    Married 09/2013

*TW* TTC #2 since June 2016 *END TW*

Endometriosis

March 2017- IUI#1- Clomid - BFN
    April 2017 - IUI #2 - Clomid, Ovidrel - BFN
    May 2017 - IUI #3 - Clomid- cancelled cycle

July 2017- IVF #1-Microdose Lupron protocol, Gonal-F, Menopur, HCG trigger- 12 mature eggs, 9 fertilized, 4 frozen- 2 PGS normal!!

August 2017- FET #1

• This frustrates me.  I am excited to not know until the baby arrives.  People just don't get it.  MIL and SILs (both of H's sisters and my brother's wife) are all upset.  They want to know so they can buy stuff for the baby.  I guess they aren't planning to buy anything after the baby is born.  The other night MIL told me that she's ok with it and she's started to plan the gender neutral shower and has a theme and centerpieces picked out already.

I told a coworker told me today and she said it's not possible to not know, you'll know when you see the ultra sound.  I'm pretty sure that's the reason why you tell the tech at the beginning before they begin the scan.

My brother and SIL didn't know when their first child.  It was so much fun waiting for my nephew while my SIL was in labor.  Any time the labor and delivery doors opened, we jumped until it was my brother with news.  I wanted that experience for my family as well.

You can plan without knowing the sex.  You don't need a gender specific bouncer, swing, high chair, car seat, etc.  Someone told me that you can't plan the nursery if you don't know.  The baby won't even be in the nursery for a few months.  You can decorate while the baby is too small for the crib.

I think the more people try to talk to me out of being team green, the more I want to remain team green.
  • team green here. H wants to know but hasn't given me a good enough reason to know before the birth. And since I am carrying this child I trump all right now :-) Our friends think we are nuts and we "are killing them" to make them wait that long .. oh please!! When you have a child you can do it as you wish. 
    I'm using this on MH tonight. He hasn't given me a good reason either so we're staying Team Green. I have been dreaming for years of having MH tell me the sex of our first child in the delivery room. Does anybody know if it's easy to accidently see the sex parts at the a/s? Should I warn the tech to tell me when not to look? Before we start, I'm going to tell her to call the baby a 'he' if she must use a pronoun. I too will be LIVID if I find out what we're having in two weeks.
    I have had a couple people tell me that they were team green but during the ultrasound either the tech blurted out the sex or they were able to easily identify genitalia. I plan on telling the tech each ultrasound from here (I have to have the frequently to check on ovarian cysts) that we DO NOT want to know the sex prior to them starting anything. That way they know and can be much more careful! 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • sjs1013 said:
    This frustrates me.  I am excited to not know until the baby arrives.  People just don't get it.  MIL and SILs (both of H's sisters and my brother's wife) are all upset.  They want to know so they can buy stuff for the baby.  I guess they aren't planning to buy anything after the baby is born.  The other night MIL told me that she's ok with it and she's started to plan the gender neutral shower and has a theme and centerpieces picked out already.

I told a coworker told me today and she said it's not possible to not know, you'll know when you see the ultra sound.  I'm pretty sure that's the reason why you tell the tech at the beginning before they begin the scan.

My brother and SIL didn't know when their first child.  It was so much fun waiting for my nephew while my SIL was in labor.  Any time the labor and delivery doors opened, we jumped until it was my brother with news.  I wanted that experience for my family as well.

You can plan without knowing the sex.  You don't need a gender specific bouncer, swing, high chair, car seat, etc.  Someone told me that you can't plan the nursery if you don't know.  The baby won't even be in the nursery for a few months.  You can decorate while the baby is too small for the crib.

I think the more people try to talk to me out of being team green, the more I want to remain team green.
    All of this completely!  I honestly hate the extreme genderization that goes on for babies like pink and tons of ruffles for girls and all blue and footballs for boys. Yuck.  

You can do a gender neutral nursery or you can paint after the baby comes.  You can add in pink or blue accents later if you want.  It's completely ridiculous how many people think it's impossible to wait to find out the SEX.  My in laws said the same thing to me... like how will we shop?!  Ummmm.... maybe you buy baby stuff that isn't just clothes!  Or you can get gender neutral stuff because we might have another kid.  Like you PPer, those people and comments even further motivate me to be team green. 

I also doubt that almost any lay person could know what is on an ultrasound also.  An ultrasound tech told me that they had a OB doctor who didn't want to know and she couldn't even figure it out from the ultrasounds.  
    image   image
    We were 2 under 2, now 3 under 3!
    Team Green turned Team Pink with #1, Team Green turned Team Blue with #2, Team Green turned Team Pink again with #3
  • My parents never found out with any of my (7) siblings and I always LOVED the surprise! My husband is on board for team green because he loves surprises too! He is pretty terrified at the idea of the ultrasound tech giving it away for the 20 week ultrasound. Fingers crossed no one gets any spoilers!

DD: 8/20/14; DS: 11/13/16; DD: 5/3/19; DD: 8/31/21; Baby #5 (team green) due 3/24/24

• We were team green for DD. this time we are finding out
    BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • My husband and I planned to be team green before we got pregnant. He wasn't thrilled at first, but I wouldn't have it any other way . Now he's on board and excited. And 2 weeks ago we found out... We're having twins! It's amazing, and we can't wait for the surprise!

As for the ultrasound techs, my doctor told us to tell them right away before each ultrasound because they don't write it in your chart.
  • We are team green this time around! I gave into DH's wishes last time to find out, so this time I get my way.

Although, we did have an ultrasound yesterday, and the tech took a quick peek. At first I told her I didn't want to know, but then decided for my husband's sake we could hear her guess. She guessed girl, but I'm positive at 14 weeks it's entirely too early to know for sure. When we do our 20 week u/s we are definitely not going to confirm that guess :)
    blighted ovum 5w3d 10/11
    Aidan Russell 8/7/12
    missed m/c 8w6d 11/1/13
    Shane Ryan 8/25/14
    imageimage
  • We are team green for sure! Both my DH and I always planned to be, barely even had to discuss it :)
  • edited March 2014

I've always known I wanted to be team green.

• Team green with DD & with this one too.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Team Green here!!! We found out with DS so we plan to wait on this one. At first it was hubby's idea but the more my mother, MIL, random family and friends complain... The more stubborn I become!!! We are Team Green all the way and I love that it irritates people!! ☺️
    TTC#1 11.1.2010 |  BFP 1.4.2011 | Benton Henry born 9.13.2011

TTC #2 11.1.2013 | BFP 12.17.13 | Due Date 8.22.14

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Team Green for number 1 and now number 2. Everyone thought we knew the whole time but we didn't. And there is something about not knowing that helps you push through to the end to meet your new LO and find out the gender.
  • I love being Team Green! I'm surprised people have negative feelings towards it actually. It takes some will power! I am having so much fun thinking of the nursery even though we don't know. So many fun color combinations for neutral nurseries. I am going with mint, grey, teal and yellow (based off Land of Nod's Lullaby Bedding)

My brother didn't know with his daughter and I was with my family as we waited, and when we found out we all cried and hugged, etc. It was amazing.

I honestly cannot wait to hear my husband tell me if the baby is a boy or a girl.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I originally wanted to wait until the baby was born, but my husband was adamant about finding out. He made a great point... Women have nine months of their bodies being taken over by baby, so we have more of an (forced) adjustment period than dad. Dads have adjustment experience, but nithing like we experience. DH explained that by finding out the sex it'll help him to adjust more before the baby comes... He'll be able to actually envision himself with a son or daughter.... I was sold!!!
    Of course an aunt of his told him that this was MY time and he should go along with what I want, that ultimately I should be making the decisions... I told him to ignore her she's stupid.
    But we're still doing "team green" in every other sense... Unisex nursery, unisex supplies, etc, etc...
  • Team Green! We were team green with DS and it was amazing since I totally thought it was a girl. I find it so annoying that people dont understand it and constantly question it. I am a planner and did fine the first time not finding out.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Team Green here!  We have one of each, so it'll be fun to just wait and see this time.

It is hard trying to find a few new outfits that are gender neutral AND I like.... that's the only time I've been tempted to find out.  But the idea of a surprise in the delivery room always wins in the end :-)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"