3rd Trimester

Low Amniotic Fluid Levels @ 28 weeks 3 days

I had to go for an ultrasound at 28 weeks 3 days to check the position of my placenta. During the scan, the tech measured the growth and amniotic fluid levels. After the ultrasound, I sat with my doctor and he mentioned that my fluid levels were on the low side of normal (8) and that the tech was only able to measure three pockets of fluid rather than the four that they typically use to measure the fluid levels. My doctor scheduled me for an ultrasound in four weeks to check again and he didn't seem very concerned but it was something he wanted to keep an eye on.He did not give me any restrictions such as bed/pelvic rest. My little lady is measuring right on track growth and weight wise.Has anyone had a similar situation? Were there things you did to increase your fluid levels? I've read that drinking more water can improve the fluid level and I have already started doing so. Also, do you think that I should be going for another ultrasound sooner than four weeks? I feel like there is always something to be concerned about!!

Re: Low Amniotic Fluid Levels @ 28 weeks 3 days

• Same thing exactly here. 29 week ultrasound for something else, discovered fluid was 6.9cm. Anything from 5 to 25 is normal, but anything below 5 warrants big interventions (hospital bedrest w/ iv, fluid directly injected into belly, or induction). They also scheduled me to come back at 32 weeks to have a biophysical profile, which is a short ultrasound & an nst (where they measure heartbeat & contractions for 30 minutes).

I've had a few appointments since my first low fluid one & gotten advice from a few different docs/midwives. Consensus:drink a LOT of water, avoid caffeine. Rest (but not necessary to bedrest), and take warm baths. Monitor your baby's movement more carefully and if you don't feel any movement in 1-2 hours try to get baby moving. If no movements call in right away. Also call right away if you get a fever bc it could be a sign of infection.

I have followed this advice and my fluid went up to 8.5, but then back down to 6.7. As long as it stays above 5, baby is better in than out. Good luck!
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Drink lots of fluids. I was at an 8 at 31 weeks and it did end up going back up. Just see what happens in 4 weeks and chug away until then

Married: 5/09 ~ TTC Since: 10/10 ~ PCOS ~ Progesterone from 10/10 - 2/11 ~ HSG on 3/18 - Clear ~ Started Metformin 1000mg & Clomid 50mg 2/11 ~ Metformin upped to 1500mg 4/6 ~ 6/7 Now going to SG and put on Clomid, Ovidrel, Gonal F, Prometrium, Estrace ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP!!!!!! March 6th our little man was born. 

6/17/13 - Ovidrel, Follistim, Prometrium ~ IUI #1 7/2 = BFP! March 17th our St. Pattys day baby arrived

10/29/17 - Started process for IVF, got pregnant & miscarried a 2nd time since summer. 2/22 started stims - Menopur, Gonal F, Cetrotide - retrieval 3/6 - , PIO, estrace 3xday - FET 4/18 = Beta 1: 616; Beta 2: 1342 = BFP 

• Loading the player...
  • I had the same thing at 28 weeks. They didn't put me on bed rest but had me come in weekly for US. Drinking fluids didn't help and I was induced at 33 weeks and she was completely healthy. My levels were much lower (3) and they initially noticed at my regular two week appointment using the tape measure. Im assuming you have a two week appointment coming up and your OB will be able to tell by your measurements if your fluid level is dropping. I wouldn't worry until he is worried, it can be measured incorrectly or go back up and there are so many ways to intervene. You are not in the danger zone so don't stress

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I had my AFI drop to 3 and was hospitalized with DD. I was given IV fluids, but it didn't do anything. I was already having weekly BPPs due to other issues, but if your doctor said 4 weeks until the next ultrasound, than I think I would take his advice over the internet. 8 isn't too bad. 
    Also, to echo PPs, sometimes the measurements can be off a bit, so even if you were one centimeter higher, you would be at a 9 which is pretty good. 
    When DD was born (via c-section), the doctor said there was nothing to pop around her because the fluid was so low. Now she is fine :)

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Same thing exactly here. 29 week ultrasound for something else, discovered fluid was 6.9cm. Anything from 5 to 25 is normal, but anything below 5 warrants big interventions (hospital bedrest w/ iv, fluid directly injected into belly, or induction). They also scheduled me to come back at 32 weeks to have a biophysical profile, which is a short ultrasound & an nst (where they measure heartbeat & contractions for 30 minutes). I've had a few appointments since my first low fluid one & gotten advice from a few different docs/midwives. Consensus:drink a LOT of water, avoid caffeine. Rest (but not necessary to bedrest), and take warm baths. Monitor your baby's movement more carefully and if you don't feel any movement in 1-2 hours try to get baby moving. If no movements call in right away. Also call right away if you get a fever bc it could be a sign of infection. I have followed this advice and my fluid went up to 8.5, but then back down to 6.7. As long as it stays above 5, baby is better in than out. Good luck!
    What? I have never heard of IV fluid in your belly. IV fluid is not amniotic fluid, that doesn't make any sense.

DD1: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 36 weeks

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

DD2: IUGR, low AFI delivered at 37 weeks
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• I've had low AFI in both pregnancies. Both times I thought I'd be hospitalized but they sent me home with orders to drink more water. It brought it up both times. I was 35 weeks the first time it was discovered and 33-34 the second time. First time it was right around the 5 mark and the second time it was 5.3. I had a vaginal delivery the first time and during labor was given an amnioinfusion to help with a cord compression. I think 8 isn't that bad. Probably drinking water will help! I wasn't put on bed rest any with either pregnancy. Mine was low but never got below 5. But did try to take it easy and slow down and push the fluids.
    Married in 2008.  Mom to 2 boys:  2010 and 2014
  • Thank you so much for your replies. It is greatly appreciated :)

It gives this momma a peace of mind!

• Same thing exactly here. 29 week ultrasound for something else, discovered fluid was 6.9cm. Anything from 5 to 25 is normal, but anything below 5 warrants big interventions (hospital bedrest w/ iv, fluid directly injected into belly, or induction). They also scheduled me to come back at 32 weeks to have a biophysical profile, which is a short ultrasound & an nst (where they measure heartbeat & contractions for 30 minutes).

I've had a few appointments since my first low fluid one & gotten advice from a few different docs/midwives. Consensus:drink a LOT of water, avoid caffeine. Rest (but not necessary to bedrest), and take warm baths. Monitor your baby's movement more carefully and if you don't feel any movement in 1-2 hours try to get baby moving. If no movements call in right away. Also call right away if you get a fever bc it could be a sign of infection.

I have followed this advice and my fluid went up to 8.5, but then back down to 6.7. As long as it stays above 5, baby is better in than out. Good luck!

What? I have never heard of IV fluid in your belly. IV fluid is not amniotic fluid, that doesn't make any sense.

Its amnioinfusion. I was saying you can end up with an IV OR amnioinfusion (fluid injected straight into belly) OR be induced.

https://guidance.nice.org.uk/IPG192
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"