Colorado Babies

Kaiser Hosp Preferences

Hi CO moms! Our family has Kaiser insurance and live in the Brighton/Commerce City area. We are trying to decide if we want to deliver at Good Samaritan or St. Joe's. Our first child was delivered at St. Joe's so we are familar with the hospital and my OB/GYN has "oncall" shifts at St. Joe's, although she wouldn't be guaranteed to be my delivery doctor based on her shift. We have easy access to E470, making our drive to Good Sam 20 mins or less, yet my dr. wouldn't be there at all. Anyone have a preference of either hospital or been in this situation and recommend one over the other?

Re: Kaiser Hosp Preferences

• We have Kaiser as well, I have had other surgeries at Good Sam and have never had any problems there. It seems like they have a really nice set-up for their maternity floor. I live in Frederick, so Good Sam is really our only option with Kaiser.
  • I have Kaiser too, and will be delivering at Good Samaritan.  I live in Thornton, so it's just more convenient for us than driving downtown, especially with the possibility of having to deal with rush hour traffic.  I haven't been seeing the same doctor for all of my appointments anyway, so the idea of an unknown doctor doesn't really bother me.  No real experience with Good Samaritan yet, but I've only heard positive things so far.
  • Loading the player...
  • imageEshugars:
    I have Kaiser too, and will be delivering at Good Samaritan.  I live in Thornton, so it's just more convenient for us than driving downtown, especially with the possibility of having to deal with rush hour traffic.  I haven't been seeing the same doctor for all of my appointments anyway, so the idea of an unknown doctor doesn't really bother me.  No real experience with Good Samaritan yet, but I've only heard positive things so far.

I think you're gonna like it there. When we did our pre-registration/tour, we were told that we get a postpartum massage if we want one, the baby is 24-hour in room, and they send you home with a lasagna dinner including breadsticks and drinks for 4. I'm super excited about delivering there, AND if you take classes there (like I know you were planning on doing), you get to meet some of the people who might actually be caring for you as well which is quite comforting, at least for me.

• imagecrazycoffeegirl:

imageEshugars:
    I have Kaiser too, and will be delivering at Good Samaritan.  I live in Thornton, so it's just more convenient for us than driving downtown, especially with the possibility of having to deal with rush hour traffic.  I haven't been seeing the same doctor for all of my appointments anyway, so the idea of an unknown doctor doesn't really bother me.  No real experience with Good Samaritan yet, but I've only heard positive things so far.

I think you're gonna like it there. When we did our pre-registration/tour, we were told that we get a postpartum massage if we want one, the baby is 24-hour in room, and they send you home with a lasagna dinner including breadsticks and drinks for 4. I'm super excited about delivering there, AND if you take classes there (like I know you were planning on doing), you get to meet some of the people who might actually be caring for you as well which is quite comforting, at least for me.

Seriously?! I haven't taken my tour yet, but I know that I would love a massage, and the lasagna dinner is such a good idea!
  • I have a very good friend who is a nurse for the moms & babies (post-delivery) unit at Good Sam, and she has great things to say about them. I'm a FTM and haven't had my tour yet, but they have a great reputation for being very baby friendly, very pro-breastfeeding (they don't give pacis by default, for instance, unlike some other hospitals) etc. I also love the Kaiser Rock Creek offices, my experiences there have all been very positive!

ETA: They also offer LOTS of really good classes through the hospital, which as a FTM I very much appreciate! I signed up for one of everything lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • we delivered at Good Samaritan and plan to again. The staff is great and promotes mommy and baby being together and not in the nursery. my daughter was born christmas eve and a nurse had knitted red and white caps for babies born on christmas eve and christmas day. 
  • Our NP kept joking about how great the food is at Good Sam's. My friend had her two babies there and loved it. We want to take a tour to check it out, but did hear about the massage and dinner, too.
  • NaniebeansNaniebeans member
    edited February 2014
    We are delivering at St. Joes because it is closer to us. I was born there as well so I thought that was pretty cool. So far we have had a great experience. We have been taking classes and I feel as though they are very positive about you getting the experience you want. They support skin to skin and breast feeding immediately after birth as well as natural births which are all very important to us. We went to L&D over the holidays after a fender bender and everyone was incredibly kind and very efficient. They also have a NICU that has a very good reputation. I would tour both and see which one feels right. Good luck!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Go to St. Joe's! If you deliver at Good Sam and your baby needs a higher level of NICU care (hopefully not but it is better to be prepared), your baby will be transferred to St. Joe's. Might as well start at the bigger hospital.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"