August 2014 Moms

Let's Talk Swimsuits

My first kiddo was born in March, so I was first tri in the summer. But this time . . . oh WOW. Ladies, we're gonna LITERALLY make waves at the pool/beach this summer. Let it be known that I think the pregnant form is beautiful and also let it be known that I support body acceptance in every scenario. But I'm wondering what will be the most flattering bathing suit look. I'm actually considering going two-piece, which I don't even normally do (emotional issues with my belly area, but I'm working on it). But maternity suits are . . . just . . . not . . . all that cute. 

Spring is around the corner, and I've got a trip to Vegas in early May. Without the boozing as an option, I plan on making my trip all about pool time. What's our plan girls? 
Charlie: Wowing the Masses with His Adorableness Since March 16, 2011 http://operationicingonthecake.wordpress.com/

Re: Let's Talk Swimsuits

• shevaCCshevaCC member
    edited February 2014
    I have a maternity swim suit that I worn a few times post partum last go round. It was included in a box of maternity clothes I bought from a local mom. It's a tankini so the top will probably not cover everything by 3rd tri, but more than a bikini. It isn't the cutest ever but I'm happy with it. It's black with red straps/accents.

ETA - I particularly like the tank style since it covers me now when I just look fat and will mostly cover my bump. I don't feel the need to completely hide everything always but am not comfortable with my current blump.
  • I usually wear the two piece tankini and will probably look for one like that as well.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • I went one piece solely because these jugs need all the support they can get.

And it was the only NOT BLACK suit I could find.
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• https://www.bellablumaternity.com/maternity-swimsuits-clearance.html. They aren't very cheap for clearance but here's some ideas if you are looking. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Mirena removed 11/10/11. BFP 02/20/13 - MMC discovered 4/17/13 @ 11w4d. 
    BFP 12/14/13, EDD 8/21/14.It's a BOY! DS born 8/15/14.

• Motherhood has had a lot of swimsuits recently in clearance and I tried a few on. I was SHOCKED when they actually fit. I got a tankini that seems to have a lot of room for belly growth, plus has enough support for the girls (I am like a DDDD now). Clearance price $18, I couldn't be happier. Plus it is a pretty maroon/white/black print. I can never ever find suits that fit me, and usually end up paying $150 for a specialty designed suit, so I couldn't believe my luck.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimage
  • I bought a maternity one piece from Zulily, a maternity tankini from a friend and have a couple bikinis. I figure I will just see how it goes and what I feel the most comfortable in at that time.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I bought two maternity swimsuits from Motherhood that were on clearance. I will probably switch between those and a bikini if I get brave enough.

• I wore my regular bikinis last pregnancy, though DS was born late October so I wasn't as big as I will be this summer. I'm fine going in a bikini again, but will probably need to shop for something that is supportive up top and covers my butt enough, I don't want my cheeks hanging out and I know my ass is going to be bigger than normal at 9 months pregnant ;)
  • I took a babymoon when 6 or 7 months preg with DS and wore my regular bikini bottoms and got a larger matching top from Victoria's Secret. They have lots of solid colored ones so it matched. Hoping it fits this time around!
  • Planning to just wear a bikini but we'll see how it goes.  I do have a maternity tankini from Motherhood from DD#1 but I think it's hideous.
    Photoset 15 of 15

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I'm hoping I can find where I stuck mine. I had 2 tankinis I bought clearanced from target my first go round. I've only found my bottoms. Ugh. Somewhere in a bin. That said, I like tankinis, and with my girls, we have a lot of pool time in the summer.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • OP...l same boat as u here! I had my daughter in March and am also going on a mexico trip early May and need some suits. Pea in a pod is hugely pricey but cute and Old navy has some. I plan on drinking virgin piña coladas pool side and beach side ;)
  • I'll probably wear my regular bikinis if I can get away with it! May have to get a larger top, but my already D cups haven't grown much yet. I know they will eventually, but I have one top that's a little large for me if I remember correctly.
    I don't really have anywhere to swim other than our cottage - little over an hr away - so I'd just be wearing it the weekends we go up. And I don't give a crap who in my family sees me in a bikini by that point! ;)

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I bought a tankini from
    Amazon for swim lessons at the Y with DS. When I'm the pool at home regular bikinis for me!
  • My bikini is an athletic one, that is pretty good at covering things (and holding things where they belong).

I should have no issues with wearing it during my pregnancy.  At least I hope not.  It was expensive!

Baby Girl born 7/9/2014 at 34.5wks

• I got a Tankini style maternity suit from Old Navy last pregnancy and I love it! It was a super cute pattern and I can't wait to wear it again. I also just bought a regular Old Navy tankini in 1 size larger that I'm *hoping* will still work for my trip to Myrtle Beach in late May...we'll see. I will probably also wear a regular bikini while we are there.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Logan 10/20/2010 ~ Addison 8/26/2014
  • I just went to Puerto Rico last week, so I got out all of my regular bathing suits to see how they looked before I went. Although they all still fit, they just weren't very flattering. I'm not a bikini girl anyway, but my tankinis and one pieces just didn't fit well anymore and I looked fat instead of pregnant. Thankfully, a friend had loaned me a maternity suit. Although the tankini top was definitely big and loose in the belly area, it made it look like I was pregnant instead of paunchy. I was thinking I could still wear my regular bottoms, but they really just didn't fit as well as the maternity bottoms which had a scooped front so it didn't cut into my belly at a weird spot.

I live in Florida and spend nearly every weekend in spring and summer on the boat, so I know I'm going to need more than one swimsuit. I just don't like wearing the same one over and over again. Now I'm trying to figure out whether to spend $$$ on a really good one or just get a few cheap ones from Target or Old Navy.

IAmPregnant Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP - 01/04/2016; EDD - 09/15/2016 DS #1 - 07/2014
  • Just a word about trying on suits. Motherhood suits seem to run a bit small DRY, as in trying on in the store... but they stretch like crazy wet! I wear an xl in motherhood, so I bought an xl suit last time and it practically fell off any time I got in the pool. I had to take in the bottom almost three inches so it would stay on. I sized down to a large this time, but our Y pool has been closed so I haven't tried it.

Just my experience. ;)
                    We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• I have a Motherhood tankini from last time and will buy a new one for this summer since we go to the beach or pool almost every day.  No one needs to see me in a bikini when not pregnant, so I will not subject humanity to my pregnant self in a bikini.  ;)

• When I'm not preggo I only go 2 piece but while preggo I don't feel comfortable. I'm thinking of going 1 piece with a sarong.
  • I have been eyeing tankinis on the Old Navy site. 

I do not know if I am brave enough to wear a bikini. H thinks I am being ridiculous,  but eh.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Another thing to think about stretch marks.... By this summer some of you may be unfortunately marked up. I got so many stretch marks on my belly from DD that I'm afraid if I wore a bikini I would be mistaken for a zebra and hauled off to the zoo.

imageimage
  • I'm so glad this thread was started!  I'm going to the beach March 19-23, and I'm stressing out about bathing suits.  I have a lot of 2 pieces, but I kind of want a tankini or one-piece, but I don't know what size I'll need.  If I can find one in stores, will I be able to tell what size I'll need by then or later?  Does anyone have good recommendations on what kind of sizes to buy online or in stores?

TTC Since 6/13
    BFP 1: 6/16/13  EDD: 3/2/14  MMC: 8/26/13
    BFP 2: 11/16/13 EDD: 8/3/14
    Baby Brody born 8/1/14!!!

• I'm so glad this thread was started!  I'm going to the beach March 19-23, and I'm stressing out about bathing suits.  I have a lot of 2 pieces, but I kind of want a tankini or one-piece, but I don't know what size I'll need.  If I can find one in stores, will I be able to tell what size I'll need by then or later?  Does anyone have good recommendations on what kind of sizes to buy online or in stores?
    Well, maternity suits are somewhat designed to grow with you. When I wore my maternity tankini last time post partum (my normal suits didn't fit yet and I wanted to cover my "deflated" looking belly) there was extra fabric in the front that sort of flowed when I swam. But didn't look horrible just playing around in the water with DD.
  • I have a work conference at the beach at the end of June ...
    might just go two piece and let it all out :P

• I bought some maternity bikini bottoms off Ebay awhile ago, but it just looks like regular bottoms. Is there any difference with maternity bikinis and regular?

I'm gonna get a bikini top that matches the bottoms and see what I look like. My gym has a private pool so I use that in the summers, I don't usually go to the pubic pools here because they re-did them all as zero depth or put in a bunch of kid stuff, so it's all geared towards toddlers and kids.

"Your truth is different from my truth, and we're both right."

TTC since March 2013. BFP 4/13/13, blighted ovum discovered 6/6/13, m/c 6/8/13.

BFP 11/10/13, EDD 7/25/13 - stick little owlet!

BabyFruit Ticker

View Full Size Image

• I've always been a cami and shorts kind of girl, that probably won' change now that I a pregnant 

Mom  to S-07/22/10 & Q-12/14/11 L-8/23/14

• I ended up going to Target after reading this thread. They didn't have any maternity bathing suits so I tried on a few regular tankinis which I've never worn before.  It was kind of depressing.  I've always been on the thin side except for my big boobs (which are getting ginormous), and of course now I have a big belly and chubbier thighs.  I tried on mediums and larges.  The large suits fit in the boobs, but I don't think either will cover the belly long term.

I really need to find a store with nice maternity suits.  I'm afraid for the cups to fit my boobs that it will hang loose in the back.  I wish suits came in more sizes.  I don't think 3 sizes are enough for so many different body shapes and sizes.

I found this suit online, and I'm thinking about ordering it.  The website says they do free US returns.  Maybe it is worth a shot?  You can wear it multiple ways - tie it in cute ways or let it hang loose like a swim dress.

https://www.seraphinematernity.com/skirted-swimwear.html

TTC Since 6/13
    BFP 1: 6/16/13  EDD: 3/2/14  MMC: 8/26/13
    BFP 2: 11/16/13 EDD: 8/3/14
    Baby Brody born 8/1/14!!!

• Motherhood has a few on sale.  If you look at the sale suits, you can get BOGO. So you if buy a top you can get the bottom free.

• ASOS maternity suits were recommended to me by a friend who has survived two summer pregnancies in Texas. They don't have a huge selection but they look cute and they aren't too expensive. Worth a shot!
  • Target is having a buy one, get one 1/2 off sale right now. I just got two tankini maternity tops this weekend to go with the black maternity bottoms I already have.

IAmPregnant Ticker   

BabyFruit Ticker

BFP - 01/04/2016; EDD - 09/15/2016 DS #1 - 07/2014
  • We're going to Cabo ( a month from today- YAY!!!) and I'm just going to wear my current bikinis and be done with it.  We'll see about when I'm farther along though...  My boobs are already in danger of escaping.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I had a maternity suit last time and only wore it once because I hated how it felt on my stomach. I might try to find one that fits better or I might just rock a bikini.
    ALLI & ERIK - 12.12.10
    Stella - 7.7.11 | Ian - 8.6.14 | Isaac- 7.20.18
    #4 due 4.22.23

• tamarar5 said:

I went one piece solely because these jugs need all the support they can get.

And it was the only NOT BLACK suit I could find.

My first baby I had a nice flora one piece.
  • When I'm not preggo I only go 2 piece but while preggo I don't feel comfortable. I'm thinking of going 1 piece with a sarong.

There are plenty of nice 1 pieces.My first I had a one piece.Good luck
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"