3rd Trimester

Overdue :(

I am not stressed about it but my due date was February 21st and I'm practically almost a week late and I am ALMOST 2 cm dilated. Any advice on what I can do to get it going? of course, it's whenever my body is ready but somethings help!. I would really appreciate any advice.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Overdue :(

• Really just wait. I know it's hard but trying to get things going will just make you crazy.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My due date was the 21st as well. Just remember a due date is just an estimate. I've been walking and bouncing on my yoga ball. Best thing to do is just relax. I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I know my doctor will be doing a membrane sweep so in hoping that helps things move along. I wouldn't really worry about anything until you hit 41 weeks, some doctors even let you go to 42 weeks. But I know how you feel. I just want this baby out.

Try a hot bath and relax and maybe have sex. It might work ;)
  • Loading the player...
  • Due dates are just a guess so don't stress out about the fact that you haven't delivered yet. Try going for a long walk, sex, spicy food, big meal, etc. All the old wives tale things tend to move things along if your body is ready and if not it will be a distraction while you wait.
  • Walk, walk, and walk some more. That's what helped me with my first pregnancy.
  • I hear you, I was over a week late with DS, in the middle of July.  I was miserable and after a week was not dilated at all.  Ended up being induced.  Hang in there.  Any day now you will be having your child.  It's been 40 weeks, what's another day or two?

• Not sure if it was just a coincidence, but with DD, H and I had sex (we hadn't in months) and my water broke 6 hours later.  13ish hours after that, I was holding my DD. 

It can't hurt, right?  GL!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• I was also due on the 21st...went to the doctor today and the baby hasn't dropped yet! I go in for a biophysical scan tomorrow, but if all goes well there, doctor said we'll wait another week to make some decisions. It's hard but I'm trying to be patient, and pray that my baby drops. Good luck to you!
  • FYI your baby may nt "drop" until you're already in labor.
    Mama to a little girl born July 2011 and a little boy born April 2014! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Well I'm same as you as I mentioned before. Went to the doctor today and had a stretch and sweep of my cervix so I'm hoping that gets things moving. And my hubby and I are planning on have and tonight. Crossing our fingers. I have an appointment on Thursdays to get induced with prostaglandin gel so I hope that works, because if it doesn't I go back on Friday and get induced with oxytocin, which I'm hoping it doesn't come down to that. I've been having some cramping since my doctor did the sweep so maybe that will do the trick. She said my cervix is soft but I was only 1.5 cm dilated. And I've been like that for two weeks now.
  • I was also due on the 21st...went to the doctor today and the baby hasn't dropped yet! I go in for a biophysical scan tomorrow, but if all goes well there, doctor said we'll wait another week to make some decisions. It's hard but I'm trying to be patient, and pray that my baby drops. Good luck to you!

Dropping means nothing, it can happen at anytime including when you are already in labor.
  • When I'm past my due date, I'm going to bust out the breast pump. I know some people are opposed to using it, but I think anything goes past 40 weeks (if you're sure of your due date).

By BFF used a pump at 6 days past due and was in labor a few hours later.
    Pumping is a bad idea not because your baby needs to cook longer but because it can be dangerous. Unfortunately anything that might actually work, like nipple stimulation, should absolutely only be done under the supervision of your OB or MW
    I'm sorry but when I read this, I pictured an overdue mum sitting in her OB's office, playing with her nipples!!! hehe - yep I have reverted to a teenager...
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • My doctor actually said if a baby hasn't dropped by now he probably won't. So, it does mean something. We're hoping he does but my doctor is preparing me for the worst.
  • Your doctor is totally wrong.
  • My doctor actually said if a baby hasn't dropped by now he probably won't. So, it does mean something. We're hoping he does but my doctor is preparing me for the worst.

Holy crap! Really?! You need a new doctor!
  • Yeah, you guys probably know more than my doctor who's been in the business for over 30 years and is one of the most respected and prominent OB/GYN's in the city I live in. Plus, you all know everything there is to know about having babies because you've had one or two. Good thing I came on here. My post was really just to commiserate with the OP. I wasn't asking for opinions. Thanks though!
  • My LOs due date was 2/28 but I knew that we had conceived 2 was earlier as I was recording all of our attempts as it took us 2 yrs ttc. So I checked with my OB and as soon as the 14th went by I got cervical check which I think helped to loosen the mucus plug, and bought a birthing ball ($30 sports authority) and sat on it every evening when watching TV for a couple of hours rocking side to side. LO was born on the 18th , 10 days before OBs due date but 4 days late by my date. Also as PPs have mentioned WALK WALK WALK! I managed to go from 3 to 5 cm dilated in an hour by power walking with DH around the hospital. Definitely check with OB first though!
  • I carried my first LO 40 weeks and 5 days. LO dropped 4 hours into my labor. Babies come when they are ready!
  • Yeah, you guys probably know more than my doctor who's been in the business for over 30 years and is one of the most respected and prominent OB/GYN's in the city I live in. Plus, you all know everything there is to know about having babies because you've had one or two. Good thing I came on here. My post was really just to commiserate with the OP. I wasn't asking for opinions. Thanks though!

Seriously? Read a book.

I think you've just really misunderstood your Dr or your baby is breech. "Dropping" means your baby is preparing for labor and beginning to descend. Obviously it has to happen at some point! And yes, that can actually be during labor, the baby just kinda goes out that direction. I know it sucks to be over due but there's no reason to get snarky. I'd be careful using the phrase "preparing for the worst" around here as well, because a lot of us have learned the hard way that the "worst" does not mean going past your due date.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Or a c section.
  • Nope, I didn't misunderstand him. Saw the baby, head down today in the sonogram. I know what breech means. Obviously my doctor is hoping that nature takes it's course and he does drop, otherwise I would've already had a c-section by now. He is extremely high still, which the sonogram tech also commented on. I also understand there are a lot worse things that can go wrong, and I didn't mean going passed my due date, I meant a c-section. And I also realize, even worse things can go wrong from there, and I hope and pray no one ever has to go through any of that. Yes, I did get snarky. I get tired of women attacking other women on these boards. I'm bowing out now, because this is not worth my time. I hope everything goes well for you OP!
  • Saying your doctor gave you bad advice is not attacking you.
  • Wait, what? My response was in response to you bringing all of the attitude. You can't accuse others in doing precisely what you are contributing to. NOBODY attacked you. And I'm sorry, you contradict yourself when you say that your Dr is preparing for the worst, and the next day he's hoping nature takes it's course? Then yea, you really are misunderstanding your Dr or you do need to find a new one. Sorry.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Yeah, you're right. Your doctor is the smartest person ever! He knows better than all of the millions of other doctors and midwives that say a baby can engage at anytime, including during labor. You need to educate yourself, darling.

• I went past my date with my first one and I started doing just small reps of squats, don't push your body too hard. I don't know if it's a coincidence or not but I was in labor just a few hours later. Walking is always suggested also..Best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"