Secondary IF

New to the group

tortuga47tortuga47 member
edited February 2014 in Secondary IF
Hi ladies. A brief intro. My son just turned 15 months yesterday, and I thought my period never arrived because of breastfeeding. After what I thought was a BFP (yay, I thought I caught that first egg - BUMMER) I learned very quickly, it was a low level of HCG in my urine due to Premature Ovarian Failure (POF) causing a false positive. After my tests never darkened, the doctors assumed it was a CP, but I never bled. After pushing for further testing, I was alarmed my FSH came back at 136.5, my LH at 98, AMH at <.03 and my estradiol non existant. My doctor, and my second opinion doctor told me it was impossible for me to get pregnant, as well as every RE I called. None of them would even see me. At first I was depressed, but over the last two months I've kind of regrouped. I did a lot of digging online and found it's NOT impossible, and although my odds are more limited than most, many women do go on to get pregnant. Only about 5%-10% conceive without a donor, but my doctors first response was to put my on BC to regulate hormones which would make pregnancy almost impossible, I have to believe a larger percentage would conceive if they didn't blindly follow their doctors suggestion. I started acupuncture, started chiropractic care and this past week (I was pretty much told I must wean if I wanted any chance of another baby - I'm 34 and my odds are already pretty bad) I began my TCM herb and supplement regimen. Deciding to wean was pretty devastating, but I'm trying to tell myself I'm doing it with the best intention. I'm feeling optimistic. I know I've a hard road ahead, but the first bit of good news in after a month of acupuncture my LH is already down. How much, I don't know, but I took an OPK last night which has been glaringly positive for months (due to my hormonal imbalance) and I've never been so thrilled to see it NEGATIVE!! I've been lurking on your board for a while now, and am at peace to now introduce myself. It may not be a journey I'm thrilled to be on, but you all seem extremely supportive and knowledgeable, so I'm grateful to share it with you all. 

edited for clarification
Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
March 11, 2014 ovulated despite every doctors prognosis!!!
Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

Nov. 16, 2015 FET of single adopted 5AA embryo - BFN
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Read all about my TCC Journey here in my Blog Taking Back My Ovaries

Re: New to the group

• Welcome, I don't have too much experience with what you are talking about but weaned my DD when she was 15 months to have my tonsils out (with the hopes of also conceiving) and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. Obviously not pregnant yet and she will be 2 next month. Hope your journey is a successful one and your stay here is short :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Welcome and am glad you pushed for further dx and are being proactive.  

I haven't heard of POF causing low hcg in the system. I hope that you get more answers soon.

This is a friendly and supportive group, but I hope your stay here is short

6/09 right tube loss (fallopian torsion) 12/09 BFP #1 (DD born 9/10)
    8/12 dx Lupus (ANA+/APA-), 12/12 BFP #2  natural m/c 6w 2d 
    TTC#2  since 9/12  50mg Clomid/Ovidrel IUI #1 Beta 10/4=BFN
                                 50mg Clomid/Ovidrel IUI #2 Beta 11/1= BFN
                                      100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel IUI #3 Beta 12/26=BFFN
    100 mg Clomid/Ovidrel IUI #4 Beta 2/14= BFFN
    Took a LONG Break
    Lots of Luck and Love BFPB for life KOFMKG
  • Loading the player...
  • Welcome to the board. Good for you for taking matters into your own hands, I love that you are pursuing the natural route. I tried acupuncture for a while and I thought it was amazing just for relaxation purposes, and I have heard tons of good things about it boosting fertility! 

Good luck :) 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • What a fascinating situation.  I'm sure you don't feel that way, but I think it's really interesting and love reading that you are figuring out a way to overcome it.  That's awesome, congrats on your negative opk :D  Welcome and best wishes.  

What herbs are you taking and how are you taking them?  I am also using herbal support to get my hormones balanced.  I drink them as infusions.  
    Happily Mrs. C 
    image  image

image Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
    start ttc #1 in Jan 2009
    dx PCOS in May 2010, begin metformin
    Two failed clomid cycles (made lining too thin)
    Started acupuncture while saving for IVF in Sept 2011
    Add herbal infusions to the mix in Dec 2011
    Hoping holistic approach works!!!

BFP on April 2012 at 11dpo
    Meepy Man born on Jan 2013 - Hip Hip Hurray!

Ready to start ttc #2 April 2013, but plan to be an extended BF'er
    Back on metformin Aug 2013
    Restart herbal infusions Sept 2013 - currently drinking nettle, oatstraw, and red raspberry leaf
    DS weaned in April 2014
    Taking a break from herbs and just riding the healthy train.  
    Planning medicated cycle end of summer.  FX I get KU before then!!!
  • Welcome! I too had to wean dd in order to start trying again so I know how hard that was! It's good you are being proactive in your treatment- we are our only advocates! Congrats on neg Opk and hopefully more good things to come soon!!!
    January 2007- Stop BCP! Let's DO this!
    June 2010- MFI. BS. IVF! Ectopic. BS. image

November 2010- FAILED FET! BS!
    January 2011- BFP FET! TWINS!
    February 2011- lost twin. BS. image

SEPTEMBER 2011- DD Born! Most awesome girl in the world!

November 2013- FAILED FET! BS! (screw you November FETs)
    April Fresh Cycle, FAILED. Frozen embryos frozen for future FETs.
    FROZEN CYCLE JUNE! BFP
    BABY BOY VINCENT!

We can't wait to meet you!
    Conception:image
    imageimage Potato Love!

BabyFruit Ticker

• Welcome! I hope your stay is brief and successfull!
    Trying for #2 with IVF after damage done in a D&C left me with one functioning (but too scarred) ovary and tube to get pregnant safely without assistance. It's a really, really long story, but that is the gist of it.  We have one daughter (whose c-section birth started this roller coaster) born in 2012 after a miscarriage in 2011. 
    Failed 1st attempt at IVF (Fresh ET day 3, 1 frozen embryo saved) in December 2013.  
    Failed 2nd attempt at IVF (Fresh ET day 5, 2 frozen embryos saved) in February 2014.
  • Welcome and good luck. 

• What a fascinating situation.  I'm sure you don't feel that way, but I think it's really interesting and love reading that you are figuring out a way to overcome it.  That's awesome, congrats on your negative opk :D  Welcome and best wishes.  

What herbs are you taking and how are you taking them?  I am also using herbal support to get my hormones balanced.  I drink them as infusions.  
    Every week my TCM gives me a different concoction based on what I need, so I'm not entirely sure. It's about 20-25 bottles I see them measuring, and they have me take three scoops twice a day after meals with water. It's atrocious! Like liquid mud. On my own, with their approval, I take vitex, CoQ10, L-Arginine, wheatgrass, spirullina, royal jelly, pollen and propolys in addition to my normal vitamins, calcium, DHA and probiotic. I'm also taking melatonin (smallest dose) at night because that is when my hormones are suppose to balance the best. I feel like a supplement addict right now, but better than a lifetime of meds I suppose. I also started a castor oil packet last night.
    Sept 2013 started TTC#2 (never got PP period so hoping for the first egg to drop)
    Jan 2014 - diagnosed POF (Premature Ovarian Failure) and told pregnancy not possible without egg donor because my ovaries would never function again with my hormone levels (FSH 136, LH 98.6, AMH <.03, estradiol 0, HCG 7) - using acupuncture, chiropractic care and TCM herbs / supplements
    Oct 2014 hormones (FSH 48, Estradiol 89, HCG 1) not good, but heckuva lot better!

• tortuga47tortuga47 member
    edited February 2014
    Thank you all ladies! I appreciate the support network! And, thank you for the ladies who had to wean understanding how difficult it is. I'm still torn up about it :(

• Acupuncture junkie and somewhat success story here!

It took 4 years to conceive my son.

With acupuncture and herbs it took 5 months to get pregnant (chemical) and I got pregnant the very next cycle (tubal). So I'm a believer.

Me: 27 DH: 33
    Married 6 years
    Conceived DS after 4 years of MFI

TTC # 2 (not trying,not preventing ever)
    May 2013 - August 2013 Timed Intercourse = BFN
    September 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs=BFN
    October 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs, and "warming foods" = BFP
    Beta #1 19, Beta #2 18 Progesterone 4.6 Miscarried 11/9/13
    November 2013 - Benched, waiting for first post-loss AF.
    No longer benched per New RE/OB!
    Jan. 15 2014 - BFP. HCG 3900 - Ectopic :( 
    Jan. 16 2014 Left tube removed and D&C
    March 2, 2014 First AF

• KC1212 said:
    Acupuncture junkie and somewhat success story here! It took 4 years to conceive my son. With acupuncture and herbs it took 5 months to get pregnant (chemical) and I got pregnant the very next cycle (tubal). So I'm a believer.
    THANK YOU!!! I need to hear success stories like yours :) Thank you so much for sharing!

• It was actually a grad of this board that sold me on acupuncture. She got pregnant with IUI but, swears acupuncuture gave her 28 day cycles with ovulation on day 14. She eventually went back for help with her morning sickness.

Me: 27 DH: 33
    Married 6 years
    Conceived DS after 4 years of MFI

TTC # 2 (not trying,not preventing ever)
    May 2013 - August 2013 Timed Intercourse = BFN
    September 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs=BFN
    October 2013 Timed Intercourse, Weekly Acupuncture, Herbs, and "warming foods" = BFP
    Beta #1 19, Beta #2 18 Progesterone 4.6 Miscarried 11/9/13
    November 2013 - Benched, waiting for first post-loss AF.
    No longer benched per New RE/OB!
    Jan. 15 2014 - BFP. HCG 3900 - Ectopic :( 
    Jan. 16 2014 Left tube removed and D&C
    March 2, 2014 First AF

• tortuga47 said:
    It's atrocious! Like liquid mud. 
    Lol!  I know what you mean!  I have a hard time with my infusions.  But the hope of a baby will make us endure all sorts of things!  
    Happily Mrs. C 
    image  image

image Image and video hosting by TinyPicimage image
    start ttc #1 in Jan 2009
    dx PCOS in May 2010, begin metformin
    Two failed clomid cycles (made lining too thin)
    Started acupuncture while saving for IVF in Sept 2011
    Add herbal infusions to the mix in Dec 2011
    Hoping holistic approach works!!!

BFP on April 2012 at 11dpo
    Meepy Man born on Jan 2013 - Hip Hip Hurray!

Ready to start ttc #2 April 2013, but plan to be an extended BF'er
    Back on metformin Aug 2013
    Restart herbal infusions Sept 2013 - currently drinking nettle, oatstraw, and red raspberry leaf
    DS weaned in April 2014
    Taking a break from herbs and just riding the healthy train.  
    Planning medicated cycle end of summer.  FX I get KU before then!!!
  • tortuga47 said:
    It's atrocious! Like liquid mud. 
    Lol!  I know what you mean!  I have a hard time with my infusions.  But the hope of a baby will make us endure all sorts of things!  
    So true!!

• Welcome! I also did acupuncture with my fresh IVF cycle. I loved it. I started again with this FET, but it just isn't in the budget. Good luck

TTC for 1.5 years with a crappy RE. 12 cycles with clomid (11 too many)
    New RE, 3 failed IUI's moving to IVF with ICSI
    IVF#1 BFP EDD 1/10/13
    Beta#1 51  Beta #2 148
    A/S 8/20/13 Team Pink
    Induced week 39 due to severe GD
    Baby girl born 1/4/13

TTC #2 2 failed IUI's moving on to FET 3/2014
    ET 3/25 
    Beta #1 127
    Beta #2 845
    U/s 4/22 It's TWINS!!
    Team Purple!!