Health & Exercise

overweight jogging advice

I used to be a lot more fit and have jogged in the past but never at my weight 215lbs. I plan to start jogging again and finally do a 10/k. I have no major health issues apart from the weight and a really old knee injury that isn't too much of a problem. My favorite way to build up my running endurance is to set a distance to jog and, after warm up walk I start jogging until I need to catch my breath, the back track walk until ready to jog again. That way I know how far I am going actually jogging and it is easy to gauge my improvement (e.g. the distance I can go before each walk break).

Any advice would be appreciated including what a reasonable time frame for couch to 10K, eating tips (for weight loss and energy), safer jogging with the extra weight/impact, etc.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: overweight jogging advice

• What kind of time frame are you wanting to accomplish your 10k? I was pretty out of shape but had a running background when I decided to do a couch to 5k and I believe it took about 6-8 weeks... For 10k starting from scratch I'd allow at least 3-4 months... At least. That's just me. I'd definitely recommend doing couch to 5k first to begin, to get to a reasonably in-shape status with confidence and comfort in your running!!

As far as eating, for weight loss AND feeling consistent (no sugar highs or crashes), Paleo is the way to go. It is TOUGH to adjust to- no lie- like a month adjustment period but if you want the lbs to melt off, it's awesome. Meats. Fruits. Vegetables. +nuts and healthy fats. Easy as that. For energy, you still do carbs, just not in bread/sugar/sweets form (fruits...etc)

Good luck!!! Go for it, go all in!
  • Great advice! Thanks to you both. I love the idea of downloading some podcasts. I don't want to have to keep track of time via a watch bc I find it distracting but an auditory cue would work great for me.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Another advice for start slow. I read this somewhere and really like it: Most people overestimate what they can accomplish in a short period of time, and underestimate what they can accomplish over a longer period.

As for weight loss --- I used myfitnesspal (app and website). For me, a 5 mi run burns around 450 calories, which is really (REALLY) easy to eat and eat quickly. Make sure you aren't overestimating what you're burning. Exercise is very important to health (mental and physical) but food intake plays a bigger role for weight loss.

Do you have good shoes? Go to your "LRS" (local running store) and get fitted for shoes (and buy a couple pairs of nice socks while you're there).

For extra incentive, sign up for a 10K in a few months -- it will give you a good reason to train!

• Another advice for start slow. I read this somewhere and really like it: Most people overestimate what they can accomplish in a short period of time, and underestimate what they can accomplish over a longer period.

As for weight loss --- I used myfitnesspal (app and website). For me, a 5 mi run burns around 450 calories, which is really (REALLY) easy to eat and eat quickly. Make sure you aren't overestimating what you're burning. Exercise is very important to health (mental and physical) but food intake plays a bigger role for weight loss.

Do you have good shoes? Go to your "LRS" (local running store) and get fitted for shoes (and buy a couple pairs of nice socks while you're there).

For extra incentive, sign up for a 10K in a few months -- it will give you a good reason to train!
    Agree with all of this. I was overweight when I started running but I didn't track my food intake and gained. I would say "I ran today so of course I can have dessert". But the 3 mile run wasn't burning all the calories in that 700 calorie sundae.

I also use MFP to track calories and exercise. It is great! I eat sensibly and do follow fad diets (such as Paleo, SBD, Atkins). When you count calories you will notice which foods make you feel full for a long time (high protein and high fiber) and which ones only give a short satisfaction for a substantial amount of calories.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"