2nd Trimester
Options

Any tips for gender ultrasound?

I'm having my gender ultrasound at 18 weeks on Tuesday, and wanted to know if anyone has advice on getting baby to cooperate. I'd hate to get there and see baby laying still & covering up it's privates! Should I nap before, eat or drink anything before, or should I fast? Just want to see the most common methods.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Any tips for gender ultrasound?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    PPs are right, it's sex not gender. That being said, eating usually wakes the baby. It wouldn't hurt to have a meal not long before your appointment.
  • Options
    coffee89coffee89 member
    edited February 2014
    You need to specify in your original post that you are having an elective sex determination. That one sentence will save a lot of people jumping down your throat.

Do not do anything "special" before hand. If they need baby to move they can ask you to drink some cold water and take a small walk around the office. If you drink juice, soda, coffee, have a high card meal, whatever you risk the baby moving too much for anyone to get shots or focus on your LO. Especially seeing as they are students, your best bet for you and to help them is to have a baby that isn't hyped up.

edit for spelling
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Options
    Don't do anything. If they want you to drink OJ or cold water then they will give it to you. You might have to go back for other measurements. It's common.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    To be honest I don't think there's really too much you can do for baby to cooperate. He/she has a mind of their own at times. When I went for my 20 week ultrasound my LO was so active but luckily the sonographer was able to get all the necessary measurements and was able to see the vital organs. It was more towards the end when she was able to get a clear view of my baby's genitals.
  • Options
    I know my doctor will tell me to drink cold juice before all my ultrasounds.  Not sure the reason, but could be to help wakt the little baby up.
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    coffee89coffee89 member
    edited February 2014
    kaysa2 said:

Yes, because Google is so often frequented by intelligent people, and all the things on there are awesome and true.
    If it is on the internet it must be true! We all know that nail polish, brushing your hair, eating eggs in month 4 and wearing yellow socks are horribly risky to baby!

edit: spelling
    BFP: July 2013 M/C August 5, 2013
    BFP: October 22, 2013 EDD: June 21, 2014
    Baby boy arrived June 23, 2014

BFP: February 2016 EDD: October 17, 2016
  • Options
    When I Google it, the first sites that come up are baby center and what to expect.  I feel pretty certain that the people who decided to start these sites had some time of knowledge about the matter and weren't just evil trolls surfing the net to see who they could tick off.  but, maybe not.   ;)
  • Options
    I had a sweet breakfast cereal for mine. My ds was moving all over the place. Also some boutiques offer you to come back free of charge if the baby is not in a good position for the gender determination.
  • Options
    Yeah - I'm new here and I was a little taken aback by the anger!  Then I remembered we're all pregnant and I wanted to yell at people for no real reason yesterday.  Meh.

This, however, is a topic that people should be upset about.  You said something in ignorance and the emotional response you got could have moved you to educate yourself but instead you took it personally.  There was no need to do that.  I know you didn't mean to say what you said, but if you had a similar unfortunate misuse of terminology IRL you'd apologize, hopefully educate yourself to avoid another such episode, and move on.  I believe that's all these ladies were looking for.
  • Options
    Yeah - I'm new here and I was a little taken aback by the anger!  Then I remembered we're all pregnant and I wanted to yell at people for no real reason yesterday.  Meh.
    No, not everyone here is pregnant.

• Options
    I don't see my additional comment!  Stupid tablet!  Anyway - I guess I just figured this being in the second trimester subsection that we'd all be in our second trimester.  Of course anyone can post her though!  
  • Options
    joules235 said:
    I had a sweet breakfast cereal for mine. My ds was moving all over the place. Also some boutiques offer you to come back free of charge if the baby is not in a good position for the gender determination.
    Tell me, what is the position the baby should be in so the US tech can see into the future of this baby's brain development to determine gender? I am assuming you would be looking at the brain if you want to know gender right?

The best position is an upright position sticking up a middle finger
  • Options
    Wow. This thread is overflowing with intelligence.
    BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Actually, in my case this is my GENDER ultrasound, and it's an elective one through a sonogram school just for fun. I wouldn't trust students on giving me medical advice if my baby is developing correctly or not, I leave that to my doctor. I have my anatomy ultrasound in March. I'm so sorry that my terminology angers you so much that you felt the need to bud in with zero advice that is relevant. Learning the gender is just a fun bonus, and I asked a simple question.
    Before our gender ultrasound I asked what to do to prepare. The tech said there really wasn't anything I could do. I could try eating something before coming in and that might encourage the baby to move more. But there really is no way to guarantee the baby is in the right place. Enjoy the day. It is such a wonderful experience. Good luck.
  • Options
    Hi I dont know if this helps much or not but I went for a GENDER scan for fun at a local place and they advised me not to eat 2 hrs before the scan because it makes the baby sleep and they said drink lots of water the day before and the day of and 30 mins before the scan drink a mt.dew or something with sugar to wake the baby :) good luck and sorry people have such issues answering a simple question and I still dont know why is it sex instead of gender? The gender of my child is Female good luck :)
  • Options
    chase16chase16 member
    edited February 2014
    Jesus Christ. The OP asked one question, and from what I read, misused gender incorrectly once, and instantly everyone jumped down her throat. You get that some people may not actually know the difference and are probably not using the term out of spite? I am very pro LGBTQ rights, and I actually didn't know myself that it was offensive to use gender in place of sex when discussing the baby. Yea, the other posters on here that are continuing to use gender in place of sex are being assholes, but so are all of you for jumping down the OP's throat, especially after she clarified that it was an elective U/S, not her A/S. Nice to see all the Judgy McPerfect Pants are on the boards today.

OP- I  was told to come to my ELECTIVE U/S to find out the sex with a full bladder. Good luck!

ETA nm, I saw she used it a second time after being corrected. Retracted.
  • Options
    I never once said anyone on here was lazy I was just simply saying for EVERYONE to be making a big deal of her one question you all must not have anything better to do with your time.As for her question it wasn't anymore asinine than someone asking which breast pump works better or which of diaper works better.I understand yes in the first post she didn't lay down her life history about which procedure she was having done and why she was having it done but did it really matter???? How hard was it for someone to answer with a few helpful suggestions YES so not everyone agrees with what she was doing who cares not everyone agrees with iui or using sperm donors or egg donors but they don't attack you for asking a simple question.All I'm saying is what happened to being kind to each other this is what is wrong with our world.People like all of you I think you should stick to the old saying if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.And as for the gender seriously people OK get over it if it is that big of a deal make sure you cuss out the hospital when they hand you a stack of forms asking for your child's gender instead of sex.Every form you fill out for your child/children will ask for gender not sex. so get over it she wasn't trying to offend anyone.SERIOUSLY everyone ask yourself if it really would have been so hard to simply answer the question she asked or if you didn't have answer just don't reply.I have never been so ashamed to be apart of a message board that attacks women they way this one does.I guess all the know it all's need to post a thread on what questions can and can not be asked on this board so ignorant people such as myself know what to ask so we don't get attacked.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"