Preemies

When did your preemie walk?

Sorry if this is a repeat of anything that was asked recently. I scrolled through the past few pages and nothing jumped out at me. 

DD was born at 29 weeks, and is now about 19.5 months actual/17 months adjusted. She has been cruising well for a very long time, and she is capable of standing on her own and take a couple wobbly steps (though she almost never chooses to do it unless prompted, and even then she won't always agree to it). She walks well if I am holding her hand (one or both, it doesn't matter), but she's not often in the mood for it and will sometimes "cry" or throw a fit if I try to get her to walk with me. She prefers to "walk" on her knees. I'm not freaking out about it, but I've never really had to worry much about milestones with her and I feel like she's pushing this one a little bit. 

When did your preemie start walking (actual/adjusted), and what was the process like for you? Is there anything you did that helped? I don't want to force DD into it at all, but I feel like I should be doing something
March 2017 September Siggy Challenge: Favorite Fall Things

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: When did your preemie walk?

• My baby is a 32.5 weeker, and she's taking a couple steps here and there, at 13 months.  However, I read a lot of preemie blogs, and it seems like 2 years is not that far out and the gross motor or language can be the slowest to develop.  Do you get to see the developmental clinic or Early On?  If you haven't qualified for Early On before and you're in the US, you could call them, and they could at least tell you if you should be worried.  We go to the dev clinic every year, and it is very scary but at least we have some experts checking on her.
  • J walked at 12m actual, 9.5m adjusted. He has always been early to physical milestones but has a speech delay. S cruised for a looooong time before gaining confidence and started to walk at 16m actual, 13.5m adjusted. There is a huge range of "normal" for walking. If she has the physical capability but not the confidence then I would try to not worry. But if she lacks the physical ability I would suggest speaking with your pediatrician about it just to be sure.
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    Married 9/22/07, began TTC 8/10
    Diagnosed with DOR, LP defect, mild endometriosis and cysts
    BFP #1 EDD 9/10/11, natural miscarriage at 6w
    BFP #2 Medicated cycle, twin boys born 4/4/12 at 29w4d
    BFP #3 EDD 8/8/14, D&C for missed miscarriage at 8w, baby boy with triploidy
    BFP #4 June 2014 CP
  • Loading the player...
  • Bluebird2318Bluebird2318 member
    edited February 2014
    Thank you for your responses so far ladies! 

@brachysira She does see Early On. We had our last session a couple of weeks ago, and the representative mentioned that PT might be able to help some if things don't improve by 18 months adjusted or so. We just moved though, so I have to check and see if Early On or something comparable is available in our new area.

@missa_g My DD is more or less the opposite of your son J. She was never super delayed with physical milestones, but she has definitely always been more on track or ahead with the social and speech aspects. I do think it is more of a confidence/comfort thing like you are describing with your son S. Thank you! That does ease my mind a bit. I am currently looking for a new pediatrician after our move, but I will bring it up once everything is settled just to be sure.  

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think 18 months (adj) is when they are like, this is a delay.  You might have to be even later to qualify for EO PT, but I don't know.  Perhaps not.  I was just going to say that nothing I do has encouraged M to walk.  She is like personally offended when I try to get her to do things.  Having a lot of short items for her to push up on (like a cardboard box that is about 4 inches tall and very wide that contains a table we just bought her, or this tiny Step 2 slide) I think has helped her get close to standing on her own because she loves to climb and now stands if she has only a very short thing to push off of (she thinks paper should work, but she can't do it just from paper yet :) )
  • I think 18 months (adj) is when they are like, this is a delay.  You might have to be even later to qualify for EO PT, but I don't know.  Perhaps not.  I was just going to say that nothing I do has encouraged M to walk.  She is like personally offended when I try to get her to do things.  Having a lot of short items for her to push up on (like a cardboard box that is about 4 inches tall and very wide that contains a table we just bought her, or this tiny Step 2 slide) I think has helped her get close to standing on her own because she loves to climb and now stands if she has only a very short thing to push off of (she thinks paper should work, but she can't do it just from paper yet :) )
    I'll have to ask about it the next time I can see someone from EO! My DD is just the same re: acting like she is offended. When she's in a good mood I can get her to stand up and take a step or two, but she definitely doesn't like it when she's not in the mood! She's like "Okay, I have two perfectly good knees; what do I have to use my feet for?!" Part of it (I think) is she doesn't want to bother with the falling, because she is more willing to stand up in a pile of blankets or in bed with me (supervised of course). 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • DS will be A YEAR WHY GOD in 10 days and 9 mos adjusted in about 20 days. He just rolled over on his own a couple of weeks ago and might sit soon. So he is one of those who will be a little older before walking. Our PT says that as long as he continues to make progress, she is okay with him being delayed on the motor skills. Does that make sense? I am on a candy high. 

I'm not new. I just hate The Bump. 

• BLPL101BLPL101 member
    edited February 2014
    Mine was a 35 weeker and she took her first steps at 11m/10m , but wasn't really walking until 12m/11m.

BabyFruit Ticker

• My 25 weeker didnt start truly walking until 19-20 months actual.  She also was one who cruised for a loooooooong time.  We did put her in SMO's a few weeks before walking and still have her wearing them now.  They have definitely helped with her stability.
    mom to V; 25 weeker born at 1lb 7oz

www.virginiakkent.blogspot.com

• My 26-weeker started walking when she was 14-15 months (11-12 months adjusted).  She was in EI.  She definitely cruised a lot before she started walking.  I say walking in that she didn't need to hold my hand and chose to do that instead of crawl, but she was not necessarily fast or ran for at least a few more months after that. 
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
  • I have a 30 weeker who is now 25 months. She cruised and walked very well holding our hand(s) for about 5 months before she would attempt any steps on her own--at 19 months (16.5 adjusted). It took her about 4-6 weeks before she would do it regularly without immediately dropping to her knees to crawl.
  • Bluebird2318Bluebird2318 member
    edited February 2014
    Sahara78 said:
    DD still isn't. She can walk unassisted, but only does a few steps when DH or I "set her up" for it first. She can walk holding one or two hands if she's in the mood, but will turn into a rag doll rolling on the ground if she's not. It's frustrating, but she's also been delayed with all her physical milestones.
    That sounds just like how my DD handles walking. She has always rolled right along with social and speech milestones, but takes more time with the physical ones. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My 32 weeker is just starting to take some steps on his own. He's 16 mo. actual, a little over 14 adj. It's been frustrating because people are asking why he's not walking yet. His younger cousin walks circles around him. Our pediatrician is giving him until 17 months "before I would begin to get concerned." Ugh.

Thanks for posting. It looks like some preemies just take their time with the whole walking thing. I'm just going to try to be patient!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• My 26-weeker started walking when she was 15 months/11.5 months adjusted.
    TTC Since July 2008.
    Me: PCOS DH: Low everything (MFI)
    Clomid with TI x 3 2010 BFN
    Clomid+IUI+Ovidrel 2010 BFN
    IVF w/ICSI #1 2011
    9/8/11 Beta #1: 2082!! 9/19/11 Beta#2 34,689!! U/S 9/22/11 HR 127! 11/8/11 HR 150! 12/6/11 HR 136! 12/14/11 HR 139! Born at 26w2d on 2/4/2012! After 83 days in the NICU, Adalyn came home on 4/26/12!
    FET 1 3/2013 BFN
    FET 2 5/2013 BFN
  • One walked at 17 months (14.5 months adjusted) and the other at 18 months (15.5 months adjusted). They did receive EI for motor delays from birth.  

• DS1 (36w1d) walked at 14 months. DS2 (32w3d) walked at 15, almost 16, months (14 months adjusted).
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My 32 week DD walked at 14 months, 12 months adjusted. She cruised for 2 months before walking by herself. We encouraged her to walk by putting toys out in front of her to walk towards.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"