Pre-School and Daycare

rec your chore/responsibility/reward chart that works for more than 1 child...

groovygrlgroovygrl member
edited January 2014 in Pre-School and Daycare
I see a ton on amazon but feel like they all look well & good but you might run into issues I am not thinking to anticipate. I definitely want something reusable if possible, not a bunch of paper sticker charts (we have those that we have used for a single specific behavior or thing we're working on so I have some left over)

The M&D magnetic is cute but I want to be able to be very specific about chores/things we're working on, mix it up, draw pictures alongside since they can't read, etc. I want to start incorporating both simple chores (taking dishes to sink, picking up toys, etc) but also include behaviors we're working on (potty related, not hitting/fighting, etc).

This one looks kind of good...
https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Responsibility-Behavior-Children-hanging/dp/B000MEYJR4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1389123304&sr=8-3&keywords=chore+chart

thanks!

Re: rec your chore/responsibility/reward chart that works for more than 1 child...

• Unless I just really wanted to buy a cute gizmo to launch the whole "you're going to have chores now, won't that be fun?" thing, I would get a blank white board and some white board markers and make my own.
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Unless I just really wanted to buy a cute gizmo to launch the whole "you're going to have chores now, won't that be fun?" thing, I would get a blank white board and some white board markers and make my own.
    I tried that in the past when we were having pushback on bedtime routine stuff (teeth, potty, PJs) and the stupid thing was constantly getting smudged and erased and they were messing with it, so I think a premade one that you can only alter certain things would help w/ that and less work for me having to redo it all the time.
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok, this is totally unacceptable and side eye worthy. But it has worked for us since Christmas.

Santa brought us a PlayStation3. The kids have one game that they must take turns playing. When I am bustling around doing chores, it comes the PS3. Once bid gets 15 minutes playtime while the other sites chores. Then reverse. They typically each get two turns. So both of them get to play the PS3 without fighting, votes get done in record time without fussing, and I have two super motivated workers helping me for about an hour.

Again. Not ideal. But it works temporarily. Lol
  • groovygrl said:
    Unless I just really wanted to buy a cute gizmo to launch the whole "you're going to have chores now, won't that be fun?" thing, I would get a blank white board and some white board markers and make my own.
    I tried that in the past when we were having pushback on bedtime routine stuff (teeth, potty, PJs) and the stupid thing was constantly getting smudged and erased and they were messing with it, so I think a premade one that you can only alter certain things would help w/ that and less work for me having to redo it all the time.
    Ah -- I see.  The one you linked to looks pretty good!
    High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • We have M&D and I can tell you that they give you a few blank ones.  We just use the return mailing labels and print a picture on it with the responsibility and stick it on the blank ones.  All my kids got the M&D charts for their 1 year birthday and it worked awesome for our house!  Also, from time to time we change the meaning of them- for instance one is "apologize to someone" which I think is odd because then your child basically has to do something wrong to get a sticker that day so they make sure they apologize.  We've explained that to mean "to be compassionate" to someone- for instance if my 1 year old is crying it would be nice if my 3 year old comforts her and if so that's how she gets her sticker for that.  There's also a "Show Respect" sticker- we say it means be respectful in listening.
  • For my three boys (7,3,1), I made this. We've used multiple kinds in the past (including M&D magnet, a Velcro one, and a white erase one) and this is the one that works best for my kids. They are color coded (same as in most things in our house) and the chores are written on laundry clips. When the chore is done, we move it to the other side and once they get all of their chores done for the day, they can have screen time. Anyone gets their chores done every day for the entire week gets something extra like staying up late, picking dinner, etc.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"