Toddlers: 24 Months+

Potty training

Abbie2396Abbie2396 member
edited February 2014 in Toddlers: 24 Months+

My almost 3 year old boy has been in underwear for 4 weeks now. He is doing pretty good with the peeing and starting to get the pooping. When he has an accident he thinks it’s funny. I don’t know how to react, i don’t want to be negative but i want to get my point across that he should be using the potty. i feel like he does know better. I understand they will have accidents, but usually kids feel bad about the accidents not laugh.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /> 

Any tips on how to talk to him and get the point across without being negative? I want to encourage him, not discourage him.

it’s very frustrating

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Potty training

• I would show no reaction at all...have him help you clean it up and just very matter of factly say, "Remember, poop goes in the potty.  Next time, please remember to use the potty and not your underwear." and then move on with what you were doing.  Don't make a big deal, don't give him the satisfaction of getting a reaction out of you.  Then, when he DOES make it to the bathroom successfully, praise praise praise him!  

• Does he laugh when he gets in trouble or does other acts that are unwanted? This could be his way of saying, "ooops, I messed up." I agree with the above poster in that it's best to just ignore and act like no big deal. Remind him to go in the potty and yes, give lots of praise when he does.
  • Loading the player...
  • Now that you say that he does do it sometimes with other things too, so maybe thats it. i am going to try the no reaction and see if it helps, i dont want to push him away from how good he is doing with my own frustrations. We do praise him but i will make sure its a big praise everytime, we might have slowed down with that a bit over the weeks.

thanks!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"