December 2012 Moms
Options

XP: Why is sleep important? I need data.

Long story short, DH wants to push naptime during the weekend. My argument to DH is that (1) sleep is really important, (2) pushing naps too often results in an overtired little one, which means he won't sleep as long when we eventually get him down, which means that he's actually losing out on sleep time, and (3) that loss will have a real impact on DS. 

DH has an analytical mind and will be much more likely to make DS's naps a higher priority if I show him studies or other trustworthy sources of information illustrating why sleep is important. DH will be much more convinced by specific info like the findings of this study, which indicates that children who slept an hour less had their neurobiological function drop to the level of children two years younger.  General statements like "sleep is important for cognition" won't really help. He agrees that sleep affects cognition, but doesn't think pushing naps on the weekend will really have an effect. Does anyone have any articles or websites that you can point me towards? 

Re: XP: Why is sleep important? I need data.

• Options
    Get him to watch this! The Science of Infant and Toddler Sleep. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wtj06ZM-y78&feature=youtu.be

It is presented by Isis parenting.  They have all kinds of webinars about sleep, but this one is the most useful in your situation :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the video, jessnicolodi!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Reading Healthy Sleep Habits has totally influenced my position as a sleep dictator.  I love the studies he presents, and the examples are spot on.  I saw my LO in so many of those examples.  When DH saw how much better LO was sleeping after we instituted some structure, he was on board.  He still gets frustrated that I put LO's nap time and sleep time before staying later at events, etc., but understands that an overtired baby is hell on wheels to deal with.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Do you think you could explain the situation to her pedi and ask the doctor to email or call your husband and explain why scheduled naps at this age are important.
  • Options
    TheEditor, I'll check that book out. Thanks!

prncebride said:
    Do you think you could explain the situation to her pedi and ask the doctor to email or call your husband and explain why scheduled naps at this age are important.
    I generally really like my pedi, but they've been no help with this one. I called a couple of weeks ago when we were having a lot of trouble getting LO to nap at all. I wanted to make sure that I shouldn't be bringing him in to get him checked and see if there was some underlying reason, like an ear infection. (We've since adjusted when we put him down and how we react when he fusses, and he's doing a million times better.) The nurse I spoke with suggested (1) using a sleep crutch, like putting him in the car or rocking him to sleep, or (2) just not having him nap. He's way too old to use sleep crutches for every nap, and he definitely needs a nap! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"