May 2014 Moms
Options

Proposal stories.

lauralou3x3lauralou3x3 member
edited February 2014 in May 2014 Moms
I know we have talked rings and love stories. But have we talked proposal stories (and no not LB stories haha) I'm a sucker for romance and thought we could share these! I'll start....

My DH was deployed and we decided that we would go to Italy for his two week leave. On my second day we were in Venice and were supposed to meet up with a friend of his that he met on the plane there. We ended up not finding him so decided to take a gondola ride. On the way, we got lost and were laughing and holding hands wondering the odd streets of Venice. We finally found the gondolas. It was a crisp clear night, full moon and all. His plan was almost compromised as there was a bar fight and the cops and firefighters had to stop our ride and boat past us to break it up. After that, he pulled out the ring and asked me to marry him. I was so shocked I don't even remember exactly what he said to me. Of course I said yes! Then the sweet Italian man was attempting to sing us love songs on the way back (Shaggy's - it wasn't me). All in all, it was very romantic and movie-esk.

Let's hear yours!

ETA - if you are not yet engaged/married, what would be your ideal proposal?

Re: Proposal stories.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

DH asked me to marry him when we were drunk 19 year olds. But a formal proposal just isn't our style, so that was kind of it. If you want romance, check out how I proposed to @Miles2Go. I hear a Hallmark movie is in the works.

I saw. Brav-o, I must say!
  • Options
    I came home from work on a Friday night and DH set up a scavenger hunt with inside jokes throughout the house.  When I got to the end, there was the ring and the proposal.  I almost ruined it all because I came home from work really distracted and in a bad mood because of a work issue. He managed to surprise me even though we had already bought a house together, been living together and had been discussing getting married.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My fiancés family and my family had come together for a "family holiday party" so everyone could meet for the first time or so I thought.

In the middle of the party a video popped up on the tv with my man, He put pictures of us over the years and then he came on and asked me to marry him in front of everyone we loved!

Shocked the hell out of me! I never knew he could be so creative. I cried like a baby as the words "yaah..." rushed out of my mouth.
  • Options
    Well, after we'd been dating a whole....2 weeks....we decided that we were gonna get married.  A week later DH and I went together to talk to my parents, he asked my dad's permission, etc.  He didn't officially "propose," ring and all, til 2 weeks later.  I was performing in a community production of Footloose, and he surprised me by coming to the show that night.  After the show, my sister convinced me to stay on stage after the blackout because she "lost one of her rings and needed help finding it."  DH grabbed me, pulled me to the top platform of the bridge set piece, and proposed.  There weren't a ton of people in the theater anymore, so it wasn't super public - thank heaven.  But we'd been planning the wedding already, it was just a matter of "when was I getting my ring?"
  • Options
    The dance team that I coach was performing at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis on NYE. DH showed up at the convention center during a rehearsal with my family in tow, and proposed onstage in front if my family, team, and the other teams there. HUGE surprise! We even got to meet Mandy Moore (the choreographer, not the singer) since she was there to choreograph the show. The team parents who came with to help chaperone looked after the girls that night, so we could go out on Beale Street to celebrate.
    October Siggy Challenge - Halloween

Happy Endings

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Kaylee524Kaylee524 member
    edited February 2014
    DH and I grew up together and started dating right before I left for college. We would go almost every night to the little coffeehouse in our hometown to hang out, talk, and play games. He proposed at that same coffeehouse about 3 years later. I knew he was going to do it because he kept fiddling with something in his pocket all day. :P

We knew within a couple of months of starting to date that we were going to get married, so DH liked to play little tricks on me to make me think he was about to propose so that I wouldn't know when it was coming. We went to two different colleges, and when he came to visit me there was a path through the woods near my dorm that we would always go out walking on, and we had a particular tree that we would always stop at and hang out for a while. One day while we were on that walk, we sat down under that tree, and DH got all quiet and said "There's something I want to ask you." I got really excited because I thought he was going to propose, but then he said, "What do you want for dinner?" I smacked him so hard.

Edited because spelling. :P

image     image    
  • Options
    @Jdub489 those poor girls! Ha
  • Options
    I'm all mushy right now! Good dreams tonight!!
  • Options
    We had been dating for 7 years. We had just moved in together in May, and then at the end of June he asked my dad if he could marry me. I knew he was going to ask me, but had no idea when. 

He went for his ICSI surgery (for IVF) on a Friday morning in July, and we had talked about going to dinner that night, but were unsure of if he would feel okay after his surgery. He felt good and we decided to go to the restaurant where we had our first date. It was 4:00 in the afternoon, but he had made a reservation. Weird, because the restaurant was empty. We sat at the table where we had our first date, which I pointed out to him, but he denied it. We had our whole meal, and then he said we should get dessert. Who am I to deny that?

Then he pulled out a post-it from his pocket and said, "Kim, Kimberly, will you do me the honor of making me your husband?"

He handed me my gorgeous ring that I've been dropping hints about for 7 years, and I immediately started sweating and crying (it was July, and I'm a nervous sweater). We went to the jewelers where he had bought it, and they had champagne and we sized the ring and celebrated. 

It was perfect. I never stopped sweating the whole time. 
  • Options
    More or so I popped the question. Nothing romantic, im pretty sure we were in bed just watching tv one night.

Long story short, we really decided we wanted kids after 2 years of dating and started talking about kiddo names and all that fun stuff. We lived together since about 3 months of dating and already were done with the "honeymooning" phase and felt like we were married. I started looking at pretty wedding stuff (I blame pinterest for coming out around that time). I brought it up and he told me he would love to get married and he wasn't sure if I wanted to so he hadn't brought it up, even though we were talking about having kids. (Plus he knows I hate surprises, they actually make me sick!) We didn't want to make it official until we had a ring to show to our parents and about half a year after we "proposed" the idea of getting married we went and shopped for my ring together and announced it to our parents ^.^

He told me afterwards that he wishes he wouldn't have brought me to get the ring, and instead brought it home in a Golden Snitch from Harry Potter! haha.. He actually showed me some snitches from etsy and other websites that he had saved on his laptop. Man... if only... that wouldve been awesome! EVEN IF I got sick! lol

BabyName Tickerphoto 75ef5a71-68f7-493a-9994-4a2f39b863ae_zps6e964811.jpg
    ~*March Siggy Challenge-Favorite Dr. Suess Book*~
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    cbrustcbrust member
    edited February 2014
    During Christmas time in 2010, we were browsing shops and he led me into a jeweler's for "fun." We looked at a few rings and that was that. A few weeks later we went to Yosemite for the weekend (not completely out of the ordinary, we'd been a few times before). I turned around after taking a picture and found him on his knee in the snow :)

ETA: first thing I said was, "Did you ask my dad?!?!"
  • Options
    Hubby and I are high school sweethearts. We planned a post-graduation trip to Hawaii, he asked a gentleman to take our picture on the beach and dropped to one knee. I'm so glad to have all of the pictures of the proposal even if I'm wearing rolled up yoga pants and a ratty tank top:)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My husband and I went on our first date to Crane's Roost in Altamonte where we now live. On our first date we walked around the park and he spotted out this tree and said let's go sit here and rest your feet. (I wore heels that weren't the best for walking) It was the best time I ever had in my life and I quickly fell in love with the park that tree and him. About two months later his mother and family who live in California came to Florida to visit. He gave me the spill that his family wanted to see the park and the tree. I was completely oblivious to anything as we had only dated 2 months. As we got closer to the tree he said let's go stand by the water and take a picture. As we get off the path he kind of walks ahead of me he begins to tell me all the things you say in a proposal and got down on one knee! I was so overwhelmed and emotional I could barely get out YES!
  • Options
    We were taking a short break in Edinburgh just before Christmas 2010 and we caught up in lots of snow and blizzards. It was absolutely freezing - the coldest i've ever been - but it was so pretty. We ducked into a shopping mall one day to get out of the cold and we ended up walking past a display of antique rings. We'd been talking about it and so i just pointed out that there one of the rings was exactly what i wanted. He made me try it on there and then and it fitted perfectly. He then walked across town in 6 inches of snow to the bank, so he could move some money around, went back and bought it. He said he was putting it away for another time though, so i didn't think anything of it. 

Then on the way back to the hotel to go home, we were walking through the christmas markets in the snow and he grabbed my hand to take me on the ferris wheel. It stopped at the top and he proposed, but i couldn't even see the ring because it was snowing so hard! Of course i said yes! We got married 9 months later in San Francisco. :)

@lauralou3x3 - Venice is special to us too, as that's where this LO was conceived! 

09/23/11 - Married DH

04/01/13 - BFP at 4wks

05/30/13 - MMC - BO @ 12wks 5d

08/29/13 - BFP @ 4wks 4d

09/17/13 - 7wks 2d - Normal HB Detected! Baby measuring perfect for dates and positioning!  

10/23/13 - 12wks 3d - Perfect NT scan! HB 167 & baby wriggling, waving & yawning!

12/17/13 - 20wks 2 d - We're having a beautiful baby girl! Go Team Pink!

05/03/14 - Bobbie Gloria was born at 39+6 weighing 6lb 14oz!

• Options
    I had just left my last day as a para at a school because I was getting ready to student teach and I was leaving for New Zealand in a couple weeks to start that process there. Anyway, I was pretty sad since I had to say goodbye to people I worked with for 2 years. I got to my apartment and he had asked my roommate for her key so he could surprise me. It was so sweet and Just what I needed. He said we were celebrating an early valentines day since it was January 14th and I'd be gone the next month. I didn't think anything else of it. He made this amazing meal and had flowers and candles in the table. He then gave me my valentine gifts and the last one was a wedding planner. At first I was kind of upset because I guess the ring got stuck and it took him a little to get to it so I'm staring at this planner thinking he did not just get me this and then isn't going to ask. Well then he did :) we got married 6 months later!

• Options
    My H and I had been living together for 9 months, and had looked at rings together, so I had been expecting it for awhile. He had custom ordered it and it took z month to arrive (I still can't believe he kept a secret for that long. The day it arrived, I had a very long day at work (12hr shift turned 14 hrs), so I was totally wiped out. He had a steak dinner with red wine waiting when I got home. After dinner, he asked if I wanted to go see the fireworks (it was July 5th and had rained the night before), or if I'd rather just take a bath. I told him I was really tired and a bath sounded great. I wanted to bring something to read, but he insisted I couldn't. He lit candles and played African drum music (???), and I got in the bath and he was just sitting there watching me. I told him if he was just going to sit there, he might as well join me. I guess he pulled the ring out of his pocket before he got in behind me. Then he put his arms around me, told me I was his best friend, and asked me to spend the rest of my life with him. Then he showed me the ring and I freaked out and kissed him. He said the music was bc he had gotten a conflict free diamond that puts money back into the African village it was mined from through schools and orphanages. I was so excited I had to get out of the bath and call everyone and tell them. My pics of my hand with the ring are all red and swollen from the bath.

• Options
    The night I met Brandon I knew I wanted to marry him. We dated for about 3 months and then he got sent to C school in San Angelo, TX. One night before he left I started bawling, not knowing if he wanted to still be with me when he got back and all the uncertainty was getting to me...plus just that I was going to miss him. He looked at me and said "maybe I'll have to come back with a ring" and took me by surprise.

I went and visited him over Christmas and New Years and we had basically decided that we definitely wanted to get married. We (well I) picked out the ring and I thought he wanted to wait until February when he got back from c school? New Year's Eve we were walking around the lighted trees at the Pier 1 headquarters in Ft. Worth and at midnight he got down on one knee and proposed. I wasn't surprised, I was pretty much expecting it given the setting...but it was still one of those "holy shit that really just happened" kinda things :)

Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We were walking beside the Charles River on a very cold and windy Saturday and all of a sudden he wasn't beside me anymore. I turned around, thinking he had stopped to tie his shoe, and he was on one knee. I was so surprised I couldn't even say yes. Instead I said "are you sure???!!!?" Poor man was like, "uh, yes.....?"
    Pregnancy Ticker 
    DS - 2 years old
  • Options

We met (on MySpace...whoa) in 2005 when I was in my last semester of school and he was living at home in a nearby town, so a lot of our early dates were local places in between campus and his house. The night that we both knew we loved each other was spent on a walk in Verona Park in West Orange, NJ. We had a "moment" on this bridge, where it all kinda fell into place.

Anyway, fast forward to a week before our 5th anniversary, and we have plans to have dinner with his family. So we head up to North Jersey. We arrived a little early, so he said he wanted to go on a drive. Then he pulls into the park and he's like, let's go for a walk. I started to suspect something, because even though it was late March, it was about 45 degrees and too cold for a nice walk really. But I went for it. So we walk up to the bridge and he's like, "Let's find the spot where we fell in love" and we're tryin to retrace our footsteps and find the exact spot. And then he said "I can't wait anymore" and got down on one knee with the ring and asked me. I nodded yes and grabbed the ring out of the box before he could put it on me! We were both crying, it was very nice. I proceeded to call my mom and sisters and let them know.

THEN...we get to the restaurant to meet his family, and my family was there, too! Turns out the dinner with his parents was a ruse, and everyone knew but me! So we had a nice impromptu engagement party. It was perfect!

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Options
    I was gone for a week working as a camp counselor. One night there was a skit that they needed some leaders to do. I was chosen and went up for the skit. DH then came out in a tux with the ring. There were over 300 high school students cheering. It was crazy! Someone taped it for us, so we have video too!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

• Options

We met (on MySpace...whoa) in 2005 when I was in my last semester of school and he was living at home in a nearby town, so a lot of our early dates were local places in between campus and his house. The night that we both knew we loved each other was spent on a walk in Verona Park in West Orange, NJ. We had a "moment" on this bridge, where it all kinda fell into place.

Anyway, fast forward to a week before our 5th anniversary, and we have plans to have dinner with his family. So we head up to North Jersey. We arrived a little early, so he said he wanted to go on a drive. Then he pulls into the park and he's like, let's go for a walk. I started to suspect something, because even though it was late March, it was about 45 degrees and too cold for a nice walk really. But I went for it. So we walk up to the bridge and he's like, "Let's find the spot where we fell in love" and we're tryin to retrace our footsteps and find the exact spot. And then he said "I can't wait anymore" and got down on one knee with the ring and asked me. I nodded yes and grabbed the ring out of the box before he could put it on me! We were both crying, it was very nice. I proceeded to call my mom and sisters and let them know.

THEN...we get to the restaurant to meet his family, and my family was there, too! Turns out the dinner with his parents was a ruse, and everyone knew but me! So we had a nice impromptu engagement party. It was perfect!

@bootsie327 - NNJ in the house! Are you still in NJ?
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    The proposal itself is pretty anti-climatic. DH and I moved to San Diego in July of 2008. He knew I was going to be separated from my whole family and I was pretty nervous about not having a support system on the opposite coast (I'm from MD). He took me into Walmart on our second day in town and said he needed some car parts. He ended up buying a hose clamp and some other things. In the parking lot he dropped to his knee and proposed with that hose clamp.

I got an engagement ring in January of 2009 after the hose clamp started cutting into me. I wore it proudly everyday until he swapped it out, in fact I still have it maybe I'll get it gold plated. The night I got my engagement ring he took me to our favorite sushi place and insisted we dress up. We had a great time and when we got home he kept fiddling with his jacket pocket. DH never dresses up so I should've been suspicious. I put my hands in his pockets to pull him in for a kiss and I felt the box. I asked him what it was and he said he didn't know, he pulled it out opened it and said "Do ya want it?". Pretty romantic stuff right here.

I guess he asked my dad before we moved, who stumped him by saying are you sure she's going to say yes. DH just blanked. Of course that was payback for asking my dad (Same name as Braveheart) if he shot lightening bolts out of his ass the first time they met. My dad frequently says he's glad he didn't go with his first instinct to slap him since I ended up marrying the guy.
  • Options

@bootsie327 - NNJ in the house! Are you still in NJ?
    Woo! I am! But I live in Brick now. I went to school at William Paterson in Wayne, and DH is from West Orange, so we are up in that area a decent amount! Where are you?

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Options
    When DH asked, we just made 7 years together. He was originally suppose to propose on our anniversary(August 23) but couldn't bc that week the east coast had that hurricane. His plan was to take me to PA to Bushkill Falls in which we would hike and picnic. He wrote a song for me and was going to bring his guitar and pop the question like that.

How the proposal actually happened was, the day before I started work again which was September 4 he took me out for dinner to this restaurant on the beach. After eating we took a walk along the shore. At the end is lighthouse in which he stopped me, got down on one knee and proposed.

Two years later on our 9 year anniversary (August 23,2013) we got married and are now expecting our little princess May 26!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"