Multiples

Could I be having twins again?

Hi Ladies,

I have identical twin boys that are 3 1/2! :)  I just found out I was pregnant this week and we are beyond excited!  I have been tracking my cycles for the last 6 months before we started trying in January and the shortest cycle I have had is 26 days and the longest 28.  The last two months before my BFP I have had 28 day cycles.  I found out I was pregnant (faint line) at 3 weeks 3 days pregnant.  I took 4 different brand tests over the next couple days and the all came out positive....I know it was a bit much but I was so excited, I wanted to make sure lol. I have had slight nausea (no throwing up but just nausea with my previous twin pregnancy) & have been SO tired, plus had aversions to certain smells of foods the last few days.   Anyway, Almost everything I have read says you won't get a positive pregnancy test that early.  I am just 4 weeks today.  I did get an early positive pregnancy test with my twin boys though so my immediate thought was OMG what if we are having twins again since the HCG levels would be higher.  Now the anticipation is killing me...my ultrasound isn't until a few weeks still!   Did anyone else get an early pregnancy test with a singleton or just with your twins?  Most things I read said you won't get a BFP until the day of your missed period sometimes even after that.  Thanks for your thoughts ladies! :)

Re: Could I be having twins again?

• I know quite a few people on The Bump who have gotten positive tests before 4 weeks, and they were just having one baby.  The new tests are very sensitive and can detect even very low levels of HCG.  It would be extremely rare for you to be pregnant with twins again since yours are ID, though I'd never say never.  Good luck!
    Double the love
    photo Eastercollage_zps0735f04a.jpg
    7/30/12 - B/G twins born at 33w4d due to PPROM
  • I've gotten early positives w my singleton and twin pregnancies. The only way to really know is that'ultrasound. Good luck!!

POS+April 2009-M/c May 2009, POS+July 2009-M/c Aug 2009, POS+ Novemeber 2009 -Baby Boy Charlie DOB 07/06/2010, POS+July 2011-M/c and D&C Aug 2011, POS+Dec 2011 -Baby Boy Ethan DOB 07/27/2012, POS+Aug 2013-TWIN BOYS! Jack and Miles born March 23rd 2014!!

">image
  • Loading the player...
  • I got a positive pretty quick with both my singletons, but took FOREVER to get one with my twins?! I know once you naturally conceive fraternal twins you have a crazy high chance of conceiving fraternals again, but I think identicals are a random thing. With that being said, I agree with legallyblonde217 about never say never! Keep us posted! :)
  • I got a positive pretty quick with both my singletons, but took FOREVER to get one with my twins?! I know once you naturally conceive fraternal twins you have a crazy high chance of conceiving fraternals again, but I think identicals are a random thing. With that being said, I agree with legallyblonde217 about never say never! Keep us posted! :)
    Incrediblelife
    I had to look this up and was shocked to discover that the chances of having fraternal twins spontaneously is quadrupled if you already had spontaneous fraternal twins.  Fascinating.  
                         My fraternal twin boys. Born Sept 2013.
  • 24karat24karat member
    edited February 2014
    4everlove said:
    Hi Ladies,

I have identical twin boys that are 3 1/2! :)  I just found out I was pregnant this week and we are beyond excited!  I have been tracking my cycles for the last 6 months before we started trying in January and the shortest cycle I have had is 26 days and the longest 28.  The last two months before my BFP I have had 28 day cycles.  I found out I was pregnant (faint line) at 3 weeks 3 days pregnant.  I took 4 different brand tests over the next couple days and the all came out positive....I know it was a bit much but I was so excited, I wanted to make sure lol. I have had slight nausea (no throwing up but just nausea with my previous twin pregnancy) & have been SO tired, plus had aversions to certain smells of foods the last few days.   Anyway, Almost everything I have read says you won't get a positive pregnancy test that early.  I am just 4 weeks today.  I did get an early positive pregnancy test with my twin boys though so my immediate thought was OMG what if we are having twins again since the HCG levels would be higher.  Now the anticipation is killing me...my ultrasound isn't until a few weeks still!   Did anyone else get an early pregnancy test with a singleton or just with your twins?  Most things I read said you won't get a BFP until the day of your missed period sometimes even after that.  Thanks for your thoughts ladies! :)
    The bolded parts are not necessarily true. Many women can turn a HPT positive as early as 8-10DPO, which is 3wks pregnant. The reason the tests say to wait is because a vast majority of women have no idea when they ovulate and the first day of a missed period is around 14DPO, depending on the woman's LP. From what I've seen FRERs can pick up hCG as low as 5, but most HPTs have a sensitivity of 25. 

Hormone (hCG) levels also are not always higher with multiples. Multiples can have high, low, or average hCG just like singletons so there's really no way to tell based off how early you get a BFP or the quantitative draw. Good luck with your u/s!
    J13 May Siggy Challenge: People lacking in common sense raise my blood pressure.

imageimage
    DD 8/11 | DS1 7/13 | DS2 7/13
  • I got a BFP with my singleton around 8 DPO, I couldn't make a HPT turn positive with these twins until the day of my missed period, and I literally tested every day for a week before that because I felt so horrible and nauseated, I knew I had to be pregnant. 

As far as higher HCG levels, that's a myth. There are many singleton moms who have higher HCG than multiple moms. 

Also, everything I have read says that only fraternal twins increase your chances of twins again, identical twins are spontaneous and not linked to genetics. 

The only way to find out if you're having twins again is to have an ultrasound. Good luck to you and I hope you have a healthy pregnancy :-)

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • Thanks ladies! :)  Everything you said makes perfect sense.  :)  I highly doubt we will have twins again since they are identical but so excited just to get that BFP!
  • I temped with both pregnancies, so assuming I'm right on ovulation I found out at 3w3d with my singleton and 3w4d with my twins. My singleton tests were much darker too.
  • I did IVF, but I tested a few days before my beta and it was DARK.  We put in two embryos so I knew both took.  My other tests when I only did 1 embryo were pretty light and you had to look at them in a certain light to see the line.
  • My first pregnancy was a set of spontaneous fraternal twins, that we subsequently lost @ 22w3d gestation. With them I wasn't getting a period so I didn't know until maybe 8 weeks. My second pregnancy was with DD and I found out exactly @ 4 weeks, the day my period was due. With this pregnancy, I found out at 3w4d, but the line was super light that day, the next day and the day after it got way darker, and now I'm having twins again!

After having one set of twins I have heard you're much more likely to conceive twins again, as others said, so it's possible you're having twins again, but unfortunately you won't know for sure until the ultrasound. We knew that every time I got pregnant twins could be in the cards (mom's a fraternal twin), and it happened again! Good luck!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I had 2 natural fraternal twins miscarriages one at 9 weeks and second at 18 weeks due to a uterine septum. I had it removed in December and last Monday I found out I was pregnant.... I am happy and extremely scared. We have gone thru so much im scared we are scared... I cant help but wonder what are the changes of me having twins again... I have my forst visit next wed feb 26th Doc wants to make sure everything is ok... Has anyone heard of this happening either way im hoping for a healthy baby whether is one or two but i cant help but wonder.
  • My first pregnancy was a set of spontaneous fraternal twins, that we subsequently lost @ 22w3d gestation. With them I wasn't getting a period so I didn't know until maybe 8 weeks. My second pregnancy was with DD and I found out exactly @ 4 weeks, the day my period was due. With this pregnancy, I found out at 3w4d, but the line was super light that day, the next day and the day after it got way darker, and now I'm having twins again!

After having one set of twins I have heard you're much more likely to conceive twins again, as others said, so it's possible you're having twins again, but unfortunately you won't know for sure until the ultrasound. We knew that every time I got pregnant twins could be in the cards (mom's a fraternal twin), and it happened again! Good luck!
    @shanaynerz I don't mean to hijack the post but just I remember you from the loss board and wanted to say congrats! It's not often that I find a fellow loss mom pg with twins again. Our rainbow twins just turned 1 last month. Best wishes for a wonderful, long, calm pregnancy. 
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    IVF #1 BFP b/g twins!; loss at 23 weeks due to I.C. and PTL. IVF #2 BFP 5/26/12; due date 2/6/13; TAC surgery 7/20/12, blessed with another girl & boy! 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @nuttycoconut Thanks so much for the well wishes and congrats on your twins. Still very nervous, but things have been so different this time around! :)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • jocie2581 said:

I got a positive pretty quick with both my singletons, but took FOREVER to get one with my twins?! I know once you naturally conceive fraternal twins you have a crazy high chance of conceiving fraternals again, but I think identicals are a random thing. With that being said, I agree with legallyblonde217 about never say never! Keep us posted! :)

Incrediblelife
    I had to look this up and was shocked to discover that the chances of having fraternal twins spontaneously is quadrupled if you already had spontaneous fraternal twins.  Fascinating.  

Aaaaannnnndddd my uterus just hung up its 'out of order' sign and is no longer in business.

Lol DH told me we were 110% done after these spontaneous twins because he didn't want to risk having 5 kids.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Anniversary
  • @LegalLadyBug

My DH said the exact same thing! "4 wouldn't be the end of the world, but I just wouldn't want to risk having twins again and ending up with 5."
  • I have read somewhere it was a 1-11 chance of getting pregnant with fraternals if you already had fraternal twins.  And whilst I really wanted to try again for a singleton, after reading that, we decided that was just too high a risk! 
    Having the best time ever as mom to Max and Emma, born April 6, 2013!

NYer by birth, I now call Buenos Aires home.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"