Attachment Parenting

Bedsharing and bedtimes?

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but it is something I've been wondering... How do you work this? My LO needs to go to bed much earlier than DH and I, but how does that work? I was just letting him sleep in the living room in a pnp until his first feeding but now that he's sleeping longer he isn't waking up until 1 or sometimes later and that just doesn't work anymore.

Re: Bedsharing and bedtimes?

• DS went to bed in the middle of our bed, and then I'd go hang out with DH until we were ready for bed. Then I just scoot baby over and climb in. :)
    imageimage
  • I guess that seems like a simple solution lol. What about when they start to crawl?
  • Loading the player...
  • We actually had our mattress on the floor when DS learned to crawl, and we pretty much immediately taught him how to go off the bed backwards. He never did wake up and crawl, though. Even to this day (he's 2), when he wakes, he sits straight up and calls or cries for me. He doesn't move until I come get him.

Not all babies are like that, though, so if you leave him on the bed while you're in the other room, I'd use a monitor to watch/listen and check on him often. And maybe think about putting the bedframe in storage for a few months. ;)
    imageimage
  • Thanks. We may have to do both (monitor and mattress on the floor) for a few months.
  • DS went to bed in the middle of our bed, and then I'd go hang out with DH until we were ready for bed. Then I just scoot baby over and climb in. :)

if DS falls asleep way early, we do this too-- just leave him in the middle of the bed and we're either in the same room or the next room. he always cries if he wakes up. however, DS has always been kind of a night owl, and he goes to sleep between 8:30 and 9, and i usually hang out in bed for an hour reading or something before i actually go to sleep, so usually i am in bed with him the whole time. i go to sleep way earlier than i used to because of our bedsharing situation.
  • Emerald27 said:

We actually had our mattress on the floor when DS learned to crawl, and we pretty much immediately taught him how to go off the bed backwards. He never did wake up and crawl, though. Even to this day (he's 2), when he wakes, he sits straight up and calls or cries for me. He doesn't move until I come get him.

Not all babies are like that, though, so if you leave him on the bed while you're in the other room, I'd use a monitor to watch/listen and check on him often. And maybe think about putting the bedframe in storage for a few months. ;)

This exactly. We do this as well and our DD does the same as your DS @Emerald27 - Sits up and stays there hollering for someone to come get her! ;)

As for bedtime, I used to slip away after DD fell asleep to spent some time with DH, but now that I've RTW, I just go to bed when DD does since I have an early morning. I nurse her to sleep anyway so the early bedtime helps me catch some extra zzz's as well.

• Either in our bed or in a separate floor bed, we lay with them until they fall asleep, then scoot away. For mobile babies, you need to take some special considerations, but there are plenty of options. We introduced the separate floor bed at 9-12 months for those times before we're in bed or if we want the bed/our bedroom to ourselves for a bit. We've also spent many nights with one of us set up with a laptop or book staying in the room with baby because it is restful and cozy.
  • Floor bed in a childproofed room! Works awesome. I just posted a detailed reply about this in the co-sleeping to crib thread.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"