VBAC

What are your OB/MW VBAC monitoring requirements?

So I have been on the fence about if I want to stay at my OB or change to a MW. I had an appointment with my OB yesterday where I discussed my fears with her about having a VBAC and how much I want to avoid CS (if possible) and that I was concerned about this being that I don't know that it will be her who will deliver the baby. They are doing a trial where all the doctors involved in this company are doing 12 hr shifts, so it could be someone not from that practice, but another. 26 doctors total.

She told me that they just had a big presentation on C-sections and how they need to work toward reducing the rate, etc. and how they are trying to move more towards letting a woman labor on her own and see how things go. Everything she told me about the way she would let birth makes me want to stay there. I asked about monitoring and she said I would have to do constant monitoring (they have wireless) since I'm VBAC, which I figured. This means I wont be able to go in the water. I'm wondering what are your OB/MW monitoring requirements for VBAC?  TIA!

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
BFP#2 Nov 2005. Baby's heart stopped @ 8w3d. D&C Jan 2006. Trisomy 18
BFP#3 Nov 2006. My "miracle baby" DD born 7/25/07
BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

BFP#5 11/9/13.  EDD 7/21/14  Our beautiful rainbow born on his due date!!

Re: What are your OB/MW VBAC monitoring requirements?

• My hospital required constant fetal monitoring, for all women, not just Vbacs.
  • Constant monitoring with VBAC
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Wireless can mean that you can go in the water, I used a telemetry unit w my first birth. Constant monitoring is standard, and having a heplock in place is also pretty common. I side eye any restrictions on movement, or claims that epidural lines need to be placed while laboring.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• @nosoup4u What is a heplock?  I keep hearing it mentioned, but not sure what it is. I will have to ask my OB about the water...she told me she had a nurse take off the telemetry so a patient could labor in the tub and she was upset about it b/c she was a VBAC.  My OB told me she "encourages" epidurals in women with VBACs "just in case" but I made it clear to her I did not want an epidural and she did not push the issue.

BFP #1 ended in MMC. Discovered Oct 2005 @10w5d, baby stopped growing around 6w. D&C.
    BFP #4 11/6/12. EDD 7/16/13~my birthday! No sac found @ 5w1d, betas not increasing. Natural m/c started 11/20/12.

• nosoup4unosoup4u member
    edited February 2014
    Ask if the telemetry units are waterproof, they must not all be.

A heplock or saline lock is when they put the IV line in your arm, but lock it off, so you can walk around (there's no fluids or meds going in). Hospitals do it as a precautionary measure bc some providers think it's too hard to get a vein if there's a medical emergency, but it's not a huge risk to say no to that as well.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• nosoup4u said:
    Ask if the telemetry units are waterproof, they must not all be. A heplock or saline lock is when they put the IV line in your arm, but lock it off, so you can walk around (there's no fluids or meds going in). Hospitals do it as a precautionary measure bc some providers think it's too hard to get a vein if there's a medical emergency, but it's not a huge risk to say no to that as well.

Ok thanks for the info!

• So I have been on the fence about if I want to stay at my OB or change to a MW. I had an appointment with my OB yesterday where I discussed my fears with her about having a VBAC and how much I want to avoid CS (if possible) and that I was concerned about this being that I don't know that it will be her who will deliver the baby. They are doing a trial where all the doctors involved in this company are doing 12 hr shifts, so it could be someone not from that practice, but another. 26 doctors total.

She told me that they just had a big presentation on C-sections and how they need to work toward reducing the rate, etc. and how they are trying to move more towards letting a woman labor on her own and see how things go. Everything she told me about the way she would let birth makes me want to stay there. I asked about monitoring and she said I would have to do constant monitoring (they have wireless) since I'm VBAC, which I figured. This means I wont be able to go in the water. I'm wondering what are your OB/MW monitoring requirements for VBAC?  TIA!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Ok trying that again.  My MW said they require constant monitoring so no tub for me.  She said in the same breath to stay home as long a possible so this really pushed me to look for a doula as well.  That said a friend of mine just had her 4th vabc with this group/hospital and was able to labor in the tub with all of them so I may push this a bit next appointment.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"